1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you keep who knows and who doesn't organized in your head?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Niagara, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm finding it difficult to keep the list of who I've come out to and who I haven't present in my mind while I talk to people. I just spoke with a person I've known since middle school on the phone for a couple hours, and I was into the conversation so was distracted, which resulted in me accidentally using the words "my boyfriend" while telling him about a funny thing that happened while I was with him. There was total silence once I stopped talking, and I suddenly realized "oh damn, I never came out to him until right now... oops".

He was actually surprisingly honest about it and said that although it isn't going to end the friendship and we can still talk and hang out sometimes, it repulses him and he will not feel truly comfortable around me ever again knowing that I like guys. He also flat out said he will always be worried I secretly have a crush on him and will one day try to get him to have sex with me now that he knows (even though I genuinely feel zero attraction to him and told him that).

It would have been nice to avoid that situation... considering accidentally saying those two words just pretty much reversed years worth of trust.

How can I prevent this from happening again?

#1 Niagara, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in stages. I basically went from two really good friends knowing, to everybody except family. Mainly because its worse experiencing freedom sometimes but not all the time than it is being completely closeted and not knowing what that freedom is like. But I understand, I've almost told my parents how excited I am for a date so many times lmaoo. All I have to remember is not parents.

Much easier said than done, but you shouldn't let a bad response stop you from continuing to come out.

#2 HM03, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Niagara likes this.
  3. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, you can always keep an electronic or paper list of everyone you know and mark next to each name an O for Out & an NO for Not Out.
    There are plenty of people I associate with in life in which neither my sexuality or personal relationships have ever come into the mix of our interactions and neither has theirs and in these interactions I don't believe either party had any desire to incorporate an, "Oh by the way I'm,,,," into the conversation.

Niagara likes this.
  4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that’s a harsh reaction you got. Especially since you’ve known them since middle school. I’m sorry that happened to you.

After I came out to my parents and close friends I decided that other people’s opinions don’t really matter, so now the only reason I’ll come out to someone is if it comes up in conversation.
    When I first started coming out I lost two friends. It really hurt at the time but now almost two years later I think I’m a lot better off not having contact with them.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  5. smurf

Honestly, why avoid it?

Don't you rather spend your energy and time with people who truly love you and respect you? Why spend time trying to please people who will turn on you that easily?

If you aren't ready to keep coming out to new people, then yeah make a sheet and look at it before you talk to people. That sounds exhausting though.

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously! Forget that “friend” like yesterday’s news.

Lynn12 and Niagara like this.
  7. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't have many friends. Three, including that guy and my boyfriend himself. I had zero friends for about 6 years until recently. The third one is barely ever around and isn't very close anyway. I also have no family members who don't hate me for various reasons.

So, there kind of is no one who truly loves and respects me, with an exception for my boyfriend, and truthfully I think he will leave one day soon too once he realizes he can do so much better than me. The best I can hope for is someone who tolerates me enough to hang out occasionally even if they don't like me and will turn on me or hurt me.

I don't know why either, I don't annoy people and I'm not some awful person... friendships just never form and the ones that do fall apart quickly. That feeling of being totally alone with no one again like I was for years is something I can't ever go through again, no matter what it takes. I hate to be dramatic about it, but if it ever came down to it, I would choose death over the endless pain of having no one again.

I probably shouldn't be this honest on some random internet forum, but today has been a really bad day for reasons unrelated to this thread and I just don't care anymore.

8. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what that’s like. I only have 5 people I can call friends and the closest one lives over an hour away, most live 4 hours away and I rarely see them. I’ve always found it hard to make friends and I don’t know why.

I’d rather have less friends though than have people in my life that make it more miserable. Keep toxic people out of your life.

9. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Years ago I went through a couple years of not having any friends, so I know what that’s like and it never really left me more than a decade later.

Niagara likes this.
  10. smurf

Wish I could send you all the best energy. Really sucks that you are having such a tough day.

I will say is that despise what you think, you deserve people that love you and care for you, and you shouldn't settle for any less. It is a struggle to find those people and sometimes its really fucking hard, but you are worth the effort.

For now, you have two options that I can see 1) start making some LGBT friends by volunteering with organizations 2) read brene brown books to learn about vulnerability and the power of it

Really wish I could help more

Totesgaybrah and Niagara like this.
  11. Orie9

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in the process of coming out now myself. Came out to my best friend a month ago, another good friend last week. Hopefully another one on Sunday. This is obviously still in the process lol, and plans change, but the way I think I'm going to go about it it is just tell a few other close friends, keep family in a seperate category, and after that, I don't really care enough to come out to everyone else. It's sort of like a .... I'm sure they'll find out eventually thing, but these people aren't close enough for me to go individually to each and every one. I thought about making a FB post about it just to avoid any awkward situations, but even then, I don't want to overblow it and make it a huge deal to people that quite frankly, aren't worth me making a huge deal about. The list of friends I have told/want to tell in person is probably about... seven people?

Excluding family of course. Still have NO idea how im gonna do that yet, lol

Niagara likes this.
  12. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's better to have one good friend than many false friends. That guy you are talking about does not treat you like a friend should. You might consider him a friend, but if your relationship is that easily threatened, then it's not a true, genuine friendship.

Lynn12 and Niagara like this.
  13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Niagara....I am so sorry for what happened to you. As for your (ex)friend, it sounds quite a lot like he has some internal homophobic issues. Perhaps even repressed gay feelings. Most "normal" people don't go from being a life-long friend to being afraid you'll want to have sex with them that quickly. I would suggest making at least some effort to stay in touch with him. It may help you to be able to talk to him and it could very well turn out that he actually might need you a lot more than you realize. You at least could become the one person that he could talk to about how he feels...you might become his way out of a dark, fearful closet. I could certainly be way off track with this, but even if I am, keeping in touch may be a good idea. You could also be the person who shows him that being gay does not mean that we are monsters just waiting to have our way with everyone we meet! I wish you the very best in this tough time. I do think that if your boyfriend finds that you are a person that he can care for so very much, then you are certainly a good person to have as a friend.
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

Niagara likes this.
  14. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm only out to about 5 or 6 people, so it's very easy to keep track of. I don't see myself coming out to anyone else for a while, unless I think it's necessary.

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. I hope you can find some good people who will care about you.

Niagara likes this.
  15. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the support. That was a bad day, but I'm feeling a bit better now. You guys are all awesome.