1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name changes in same-sex marriages

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, Feb 6, 2018.

1. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My last name is the one part of my name that my parents gave me (I chose my own first and middle name when I came out as trans), so I'm pretty attached to it. If I get married to a romantic partner and they wanted to change their name I wouldn't argue, but I wouldn't mind having a hyphenated name either.

2. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know of one couple that made a portmanteau of their names. It was super cute.

For me, if I did get married (which I doubt I will, ace/grayro)... I'd prefer to either take their name or to take an entirely new name. This is because I do not connect with my paternal family and would be happy to be rid of the ties that I have with them through the name.

3. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find combining names to be a cool option. An example would be Ash Mardell and Grace Hiltner becoming Ash and Grace Hardell.

I'd probably lean towards that option no matter who I marry. My sister (who's a lesbian) has considered the same thing.

4. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My wife took my last name. Neither one of us wanted to hyphenate and she was actually excited to take my name, so it worked out pretty well.

5. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my fiance and I get married, we've decided to keep our own names. Partly because we don't want to deal with the paperwork and it's not all that important to us. The other part is that I will be a Doctor in 2 years and changing names on license and such is an even worse pain in the a$$. If we adopt children, they will have hyphenated last names (as do our current dogs... yes they have full names lol)

6. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go with whoever has the cooler last name . I'd be happy to get rid of the last name Cole and trade up for something cooler like Alvarez.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a bunch of friends who have gotten married. Some have kept their names as-is. Others have chosen one or the other last names. Still others have hyphenated. And one couple took both names, but without the hypen (effectively adding a middle name), so Joe Alan Smith and John Michael Doe became Joe Alan Smith Doe and John Michael Smith Doe.

For what it's worth, lots of hetero couples have done the same thing for decades, so nothing really new here.