1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aspen, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a long road but I can officially say that I am out of the closet. Not everyone knows yet but I'm not hiding it anymore. I've been out to all my friends for months now. My fiancee and I took jobs at the same company when we moved in together and we're both out at work.

Last week, my niece on my dad's side of the family asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. Even though it's months away, I didn't feel comfortable saying yes without her knowing that my plus one could be my wife. She was totally cool with it--said she thought something was up when I came to visit last time.

Today I went to my mom's house to pick up some paperwork and I told her. She's super-religious so she doesn't know I'm engaged, but she knows I'm bi and that my fiancee and I are together. She told me that she suspected in the back of her mind--I've barely had any relationships with guys and I've never been secretive with how close my fiancee and I have always been. At first she asked me not to tell the rest of the family. I agreed (I barely speak to them) but when I told her that I have no control over whether they find out from my dad's side of the family, she asked if she wanted me to tell them. I told her I don't care if she does or not but I think she's leaning towards doing it.

I don't know how to feel now that it's all out in the open. I've been living two separate lives for so long.

Mali Mali and TheGayPK like this.
  2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great. Fantastic. It is a big step and a time of change when you are confident being out. I'm really pleased for you and it sounds like you are in a great place all round now.

Sounds like the family were you main concern but the response seems have been positive. Your mum sounds like she has been more accepting than her religious would suggest (based on your post) even if she did ask you not to tell people but you dealt with it superbly and on your terms which is important.

Just wanted to that what you've done it great. Wishing you well.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! I'm so glad that you've mustered up the courage to come out to so many people, including your parents. My parents are also super religious and it took a while for them to come to terms with it. I'm always so happy to read that other people's parents are accepting of their sexuality or gender. I say keep coming out to more people, don't hold back. I'm sure you now know how liberating it is to not have to hide yourself anymore. And congrats on getting engaged (Not sure when you got engaged, but congrats anyway). May your lives together be blessed and prosperous :slight_smile:

4. Markieg64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your family . I' pleased for you :grinning:

5. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! Coming out can be scary. I'm a senior in high school and I'm not even out of the closet to most of my friends yet because I'm scared of rejection and ridicule.

Lucaswalsh likes this.
  6. TheGayPK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!
    I only came out last year. I was married (woman). Had a 3-year-old (now 5). Was from a family who served in the Christian (Pentecostal Denomination) ministry, including my father and grandfather who are both Pastors. I felt like I had waited, "too long."

Come to find out, it was all in the right timing.

You have done your part. YOU begin living now and focus on the fact you do not have to lead two lives now. Who says what, or who is told should not remotely be your focus or concern (not saying this in a rude/snotty way, just reality).

Congrats. Much love!
    If you ever need an ear I am only a message away.
    <3 Matt-S.

7. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're an inspiration. i hope to get to this point some day