1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will They Support Later?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lucaswalsh, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Lucaswalsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think that my family will accept me, I need to become transgender and no one supports right now. Do you think they'll support later?

2. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's possible. People change, and people also become more tolerant or intolerant over time. Some things just take getting use to. The important thing is to not expect an instant change. Have patience and understanding, while also being firm about your feelings.

3. TheGayPK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my experience, YES.

Having both my Father and Grandfather serving as Pentecostal Pastors and heavily involved in the Christian Ministry, I had grown up knowing their "view" and "feelings." It was not until I was 27 (2016), married, and also a 3-Year-old (at the time), I knew I was not only telling them I was Divorced, but also that I was Gay? I had the fear they would never speak to me, or want to see me again.

Less than six months later my family had begun speaking more than we had in years, my boyfriend was welcome for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it was like this is how it had been forever. To see my grandfather HUG the man I love was one of the biggest things I could never have "imagined" would happen.

Give it time. Come to them prepared for questions, and equally a Non-Abrasive/Argumentative attitude, but also know when/if they ask questions that is a GOOD thing. Questions are right and keep a dialogue going.

#3 TheGayPK, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Lucaswalsh likes this.