1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you haggle/bargain?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Feb 8, 2018.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was watching an old episode of The Big Bang Theory last week where Leonard was haggling over a price, much to Sheldon's dismay.

Are you more like Leonard (willing to haggle/bargain over a price label) or more like Sheldon (pay what it says on the label)... or does it depend on the item and circumstances?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the condition of the item, and if it's in the wrong place on the shelf (if picked up from a grocery store.)

#2 Randy, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, much because i'm really timid. But i really want to "learn" how to do it, because i recognize it as an important "skill". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't bargain, well nobody in my country does it anyway. I know that in some countries it's okay or even polite thing to do. But here its just really awkward. It's considered quite impolite and annoying thing. So yea I don't do that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not in Australia - or at least not with ordinary day-to-day goods and services. I will aggressively haggle where it's the custom but if I tried to do it here I'd get blank stares and be asked to leave.

If the item is mass-produced, below a few thousand dollars and has a transparent market value, there is no point haggling. Obviously there is haggling with second-hand goods or the highest priced goods, though you would generally not talk about negotiating the price of a car or a house as 'haggling'.

6. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For normal things, no, it's generally not worth the effort. Plus I hate shopping so by the time I get to the paying part I'm just done and want to leave as soon as possible. If it were in a situation where it was expected though, like buying a car, then yeah I'll play their haggling game.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah there is a time & a place for haggling

For example, haggling is easy at a car boot sale & considered tacky at a high-end store

Also I think many people are simply unaware that they can haggle (with a decent chance to succeed) in common street stores. Worth a shot if you're buying something like a new TV

I tend to find myself haggling when I deal with private sellers or when I'm buying in bulk

BTW this is a perspective from the UK (I've never haggled in other countries unless you count importing goods; usually CDs)

8. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never do. I don't have enough confidence to do that.

9. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haggle at garage sales. If I buy multiple things I'll usually try to get a discount and it usually works.

10. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't. I hate public places and I have social anxiety so definitely don't have the confidence for that lol. My dad does, at garage sales but I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble to save a few bucks.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t bother in massive chain stores because the employees never have the power to really haggle with you (or so I assume). It’s pretty customary for things like a car or home here... I would/have done it with a private seller on smaller things but it really depends on factors like: how much do I want it (am I willing to walk away? If not, I have no cards to play), whether I think it’s worth the price (i.e. is the quality good? Did they obviously put a lot of work into it?), etc.

12. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I might give a shopkeeper the opportunity to reduce the price on an item if it is damaged or if it's a display item that is last in stock or something like that. If they seem desperate to want to sell off something so they can make room for something else, then I will leave it up to their discretion. But I will never say "I'll offer you this much for it". I would just feel like a pikey.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally only in cultures where it is prevalent. I would say the lion's share of the bargaining I have done in my whole life was done in either India or Mexico, despite the fact that I have spent only a little over a year between the two of them total. I guess we did sort of haggle on the purchase of our home and I suppose ages ago I went to a rummage sale or two...

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I consider it a pain in the ass when I try selling things online and people try to argue over the price. If its outrageous, then I wont buy it and they wont make money from me - simple.