1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Change

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by pointofnoreturn, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm nonbinary. Specifically, I'm a genderfluid-bigender person who doesn't identify as trans, and my presentation leans heavily toward the butch/masculine side of things. Rarely am I female, which means my name almost never sounds right. Lately I've been really thinking about changing my name, not legally or anything and maybe not offline*, but there are a few hurdles I'm encountering at present:
    1. I don't want a male name--which seems like a popular thing for AFAB enbies to do.I'd like to keep two letters from my birth name if possible. But that means my options are limited.
    2. Of the so-called neutral options available, most are either too gendered or too out there. And I want a name that...feels normal, I guess, though that can't be the most eloquent way to put things. What I mean is, I want a common name. One that could be anyone's.
    *Maybe I should've put this first: I'm terrified to even think about a name change, online or off. Amy has been my name for almost 21 years and the female part of me loves it; more than that, the people around me love it too. What if I change it only to realize I screwed up? I'm not sure about changing it.
    Any suggestions, name and otherwise?

#1 pointofnoreturn, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Amir, Amber, Ambrose, take one thing at a time. Just some names to think about.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jamie. The "a" and "m" are still there(I know it's not exactly how you meant), and tbh, it's the one name I consider truly neutral. It works really well for any gender, and I don't immediately think of either. I can't really say that about most other gender neutral names.

Plus it rymes with your birth name. :wink:

#3 BrookeVL, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Ambrose. Also, Amadee is a good one as it is in the same "family" as Amadeus and Amadea and feels like it's the neutral version of the two.

Wesley007 likes this.
  5. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's so funny...Jamie was the name in my signature for the longest time!:smile: I love the sound, the letters, everything about it, but I'm looking to expand my horizons if possible.

6. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Andy, Ainsley, and Ashley come to mind.

I'd suggest you pull up a couple baby name websites and sort through to see if there's anything you like. Some of them filter results by masculine/feminine/unisex, and looking at the meanings and cultural background of the names could help you pick.

Any name, even the best name ever, is going to feel weird for a while just because you're not used to it. So keep that in mind when you try something out... Do a test run online or with a couple friends. If it still feels wrong after you've got over the "this is a new name!" weird feeling, you can always switch to something else. Yes, it will be a bit awkward if you've gone by that name for a while or to a bunch of people. But a bit of awkwardness is worth it in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.