1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I deal with a crush that can't end well?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BlueNeon, Feb 1, 2018.

1. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's this incredibly cute and sweet girl that I really like, but there's no way that letting her know could end well. I'm stuck at a private religious school, so I'd be kicked out if it became known that I like girls, and my parents would throw me out of the house if they found out that I like girls. If everything goes as planned, I'll be graduating early and leaving for college in a couple of months anyway. So, even if she does like me in that way, we'd get, at best, a couple of months of sneaking around before I leave. She'd also be at risk of being kicked out of the school, and if her relationship with her parents is anything like mine, she'd be kicked out of the house too. Plus, while it certainly feels like she's flirting with me, I'm very inexperienced in this sort of thing, so it's quite possible she's not even interested in me in that way. What I need to do is figure out how to deal with this, because it's been extremely hard to not tell her how much I like her. I need to get this under control, because there is no good ending in sight if I tell her.

I need to figure out how to resist the temptation to tell her everything, or find a way to get over this crush fast, and I'll take all the help I can get. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Wesley007 likes this.
  2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old are you and this girl? Obviously, it would be ideal to know if the feeling is mutual, which sometimes you can learn by becoming friends (if you're not already). Being friends will also help you know how religious and homophobic she may or may not be, and even if you can't share your feelings now, you could keep in touch later.

NikkisHideout and Wesley007 like this.
  3. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 16, and will be turning 17 in a couple of months. She's 17, and will turn 18 right around the time school lets out.

Knowing how she feels about me, especially if she feels the same way, is a wonderful fantasy. I admit to having constant daydreams about what it would be like if we were to get together. But, since there is no good outcome to this, my focus is (or should be) on trying to put all this behind me. I just have problems doing that when we see each other every day in class, and we've been assigned to work on a project together.

4. Melin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing that's helped me is writing it all down as if i'm writing a letter to them, every few days, but never handing it over.

I suspect this hapoens often enough at the school and they're used to ignoring it unless forced to deal with it. I understand your fears totally, but it might not be as bad as you imagine. As gay people in a homophobic society we can risk overestimating the risks to us.

5. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writing a letter is a great idea. I usually use writing to organize my thoughts, so that I can impose some rationality on whatever's bothering me. I don't know why I didn't think of that for this situation. I guess I just suck at dealing with emotions.

Unfortunately, my fears are based on actual experiences. It was maybe a couple of months ago when a guy at this school came out to the wrong person, the principal heard about it, and I was working as a student aide in the office when the principal called him into the office with his parents and expelled him. As for my parents, their version of giving me "the talk" was to make sure I didn't let boys touch me in that way until I get married, and if I ever "choose" to become gay, I'm not welcome in their house. So, yeah, I have to stay in the closet until I can support myself. That's why I'm trying to put these feelings behind me, so that I'm not tempted to come out to her in hope that she likes me too.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try not to assume the worst possible scenario. No one can predict the future. However, you may have good reason not to be obvious. Still, you can try to learn if she is at least not homophobic (can’t go much further, if so).

Also, remember your feelings are totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of. The homophobic environment you live in is temporary and definitely becoming rarer each year in the US. Writing down your feelings in a secure place will help let out some pressure, and you might try other creative expressions, as well.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One last thing: keep a focus on your academics so you can get into college and hopefully some distance away from your homophobic surroundings. Even just taking a job for a little independence can help you feel less stifled.

8. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi!

In all honesty, I think you should put any plans of potentially becoming something more than friends with this girl on hold -- at least until you're out of your parent's house. At that age, sneaking around has a habit of not working out as intended and, given what their reaction would be, the stakes are pretty high, since you're financially dependent on them. I agree with the others that writing down your feelings might be of emotional help, just dispose of whatever you write. I think we've all read/heard stories of people whose homophobic parent found their diary and absolutely flipped. Once you get out of this overbearing environment, things will surely flow in a much more pleasing way.

9. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what you've said here. I've been trying to deal with how much I like this girl and knowing that asking her out is just not a good idea. What I'm really struggling with is how to deal with those feelings, especially since we can't avoid each other at school. We're in a class together, and we've been assigned a project to work on together. So, since avoiding her isn't an option, I need another way to manage my feelings for her. Writing things down has helped a bit, but if there's something more that would help, I could really use it.

10. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like running. Aside from the physical benefits, it really clears my mind and renews my vigor after a stressful day. Do you do any physical activity? If you can make time for it, try it out. Just be careful if you're not used to it, it can be potentially dangerous (follow a beginner's regimen, for example). On the subject of being in close proximity to the girl you like every day, realize conciously that now isn't the moment to act on your feelings. Some people prefer to keep contact with the object of their unrequited love to a minimum in order to allow their feelings to subside. Are you close friends?

11. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to physical activity, I rather enjoy swimming. Unfortunately, there is no pool available nearby, and it's too cold to go swimming at the lake. I may have to try some other form of exercise.

It's really hard to say if we're close friends, but that's because I'm normally the type of person who avoids others. I don't hang out with anyone, including her, outside of school or church. I will say that, at school and at church, she will always look for me. I've noticed that she will leave a group or a conversation to come say hi to me if she sees me. Of course, since I have these feelings for her, I can't say that I have a problem with that. Also, if I'm being totally honest, while I do actively avoid people outside of school and church, I would absolutely love to spend time with her just about anywhere and at any time.

12. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do you feel about being just friends with her, at least for now? Do you think you could manage daily contact and closeness with her or would you rather keep it at a minimum? I can imagine how mentally exhausting it can be to be in your position; I believe essentially all of us have been through a similar experience, so you're not alone! It is tough to be in that position, but try to look ahead and take solace in the fact that, even if you're not in the most enjoyable situation right now, it will get better.

Do you want a hug? *hugs*

#12 Paradoxiolitic, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  13. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no problem with the idea of being friends with her. That would be the best outcome by far. It just takes so much effort on my part to avoid trying to take things further, even though I know it's not a good idea. Daily contact and closeness with her is unavoidable, since we have class and a project together. So, yeah, it's hard at the moment. I suppose you're right when you say it will get better, I just want to get to that point as quickly as possible.