1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What causes an individual to be transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cody18, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone.

I recently got an assignment at university (studying psychology) where we have the opportunity to write about whatever topic we so desire, as long as we can talk about it from a reductionist point of view and contrast it with an opposing reductionist view. Due to this, I have decided to write it about the current views on what causes an individual to be transgender as it both meets my assignment criteria and interests me.

I am currently researching articles to cite in my essay. However, I thought it may be useful and also helpful to myself to post here as I have previously seen others mention journal articles/research in regards to this. So basically this is an appeal to see if any of you know of specific articles it would be worth mentioning?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, I don't have any articles at hand but based on my own readings, no one really knows what makes us, us. there may be a genetic component, it may be exposure to hormones in the womb at different rates and at different times than for Cis people. to the best of my knowledge no one really knows as I have stated. what I do know is that we are Fabulous.

Secrets5 likes this.
  3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I'm aware there is no definitive answer yet as to what makes someone transgender, however there is scientific evidence supporting the theory of gender identity being biological.

Some studies I had bookmarked, I'm sure there's more out there as well:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2754583/

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/448787

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/85/5/2034/2660626

Certain regions of the brain are sexually dimorphic, and it is often found that in transgender people, those regions more closely resemble their identified gender versus their sex at birth, so it quite possibly has a neurological cause. Also (can't find the study right now sorry) I heard that in identical twins, if one twin is transgender, there is a high increased chance that the other twin will be too, a much higher chance than with fraternal twins. So genetics might play a role as well.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    - Daphne White
    - Bruce/Brenda/David case