1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sorry for the long rant but I need to vent

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BelieveinLove, Jan 31, 2018.

1. BelieveinLove

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm about to scream. First of all, I love my parents dearly, they have always been there for me and have been two of my best friends but lately it's almost as if I don't know them anymore. I came out to my mom a little over a year ago when I was 22, I'm 23 now and I've known I was a lesbian or at least bisexual since I was 11 but because I am from a small, conservative town, I didn't even fully begin to accept myself until I was 21.When I told my mother, it was like you had told her that her child had died. She cried for days. She told me that my dead grandparents would be ashamed of me and they would probably drop dead if they were alive and knew. She said I needed to force myself to be straight. I guess she figured I was going through some sort of phase because she asked me a few months later if I had met any boys in college and I said, "Mom, you know I'm still gay right?" She proceeded to tell me that I was going against everything the bible says by continuing to "act on my impulses." Next, we will go on to my father. I'll admit, he hasn't been the best dad ever. He's a workaholic so he is always out of town. I've probably seen him 5 times since I was six years old, not a lot but he's always been available to talk to me on the phone. I just had to learn to accept that's how it was. He doesn't know I'm gay but I honestly don't know what he would think if I told him. I want to think he would love and accept me but I have no idea. Then, recently, I found out something that brought my world crashing down. My dad has two other kids with someone else that he and my mom kept a secret from me my entire life. My parents are divorced and I found out that all this time, I had a sister, brother, uncles, cousins that I never knew about and you know why? Because my mother wanted full custody of me and told me my grandparents on daddy's side were dead when they weren't growing up but they are now. She admitted to me that she wanted me all to herself and not to have to share me with my daddy or his family so she got full custody. You know what that means? I was cheated out of getting to know the other half of my family because of her selfishness. I've talked to daddy and he said that since I'm an adult now, he will make sure that I have the chance to meet my siblings and the rest of my family. Then my mom came up to me the other day, apparently she had gone on my phone and seen that I had a dating profile. She asked me if she could look at it and I told her "No, it's none of your business." She then told me that I was lying to her about my life and I wasn't going to be called a liar so I showed her. I realize she was being manipulative. She saw that I put that I was gay on my dating profile and flipped out. She sat there and made me delete it and told me that she didn't want anyone to know her child was a "d**e" She then proceeded to set up a meeting with the preist so he can convert me into being straight and she showed me this letter from a woman claiming that she used to be gay until she found Jesus and then turned straight. She told me I needed to stop being a disgrace to her and marry a "Nice Christian boy" She told me that no matter where I go, people are going to see me as a disgusting person and that if I really loved and respected her then I would be straight. I'm going crazy.

2. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You aren't crazy, you are stuck with a toxic parent. Being 23, you are capable of making your own decisions and you are not obligated to go to this meeting with a priest nor to go along with your mother's wishes for your life. I'm so sorry she doesn't accept you for who you are, but she has no right to force you to be someone you're not. As for the whole "going against the bible" thing, other members can better help you address that, but in the meantime, I'll paraphrase Thomas Jefferson: the Bible contains a few gems of wisdom in an otherwise politicised pile of dung.

I hope I helped some. If you ever need to talk to someone, I like to think of myself as a good listener. Good luck.
    -Christine

3. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah....if possible i would leave the home if you can, because she ovbiously has some issues, keeping you from a huge family is selfish and wrong....

4. Pizza Pie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy hell that’s crazy, I can’t imagine going through a situation like that and I’m incredibly sorry that you do.

I don’t have much to add that the other two replies as of now haven’t, other than, I don’t think she had any right to stop you from trying to just be who you are, let alone all the other stuff. Rant well justified.

In my opinion, you’d be well within your rights to refuse to go to this meeting, even though it might hurt her feelings. Love you and be safe out there.

5. Melin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me a long time to realise that my mother was essentially emotionally abusive and suffered a personality disorder. Reading Emotionally Abusive Relationships by Beverly Engels and then other books really, really helped me. Your mothers behaviour is outrageous. There might be good historical reasons which explain it, she herself a victim of emotional abuse, but that doesn't mean you should tolerate it. 20 years on and my mother's changed little, but I've changed how I relate to her, and as a consequence how she begaves around me.

6. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are not a disgrace and neither are you disgusting. Like Melin mentioned, your mother's behavior might stem from past events, but that doesn't excuse it and it doesn't make it any less reprehensible that she'll treat you like this. For now, if possible financially/practically, I'd suggest moving out or keeping contact with her to a minimum. Sometimes toxic people will change with time. If that does happen, then the two of you can make amends. In the meantime, know that what she is saying of you is wholly untrue.

*hugs*