1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluid fashion - how to find fashion that suits me?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wiganbolton1986b, Jan 29, 2018.

1. wiganbolton1986b

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am 31, AMAB, from the United Kingdom, but I consider myself genderfluid.

I'm new at trying to work out how to express myself in an androgynous manner.

Trying to find women's clothes for when I want to look feminine is the hard part, since I know nothing about fashion shopping (even for male clothing, and even then, I tend to be fairly conservative/safe in this department, with greys, blues, green colours).

Being 6" and rather owlish-looking with a very masculine face partially contributes to this.

I feel less confident shopping in the women's department than the men's (i often shop at Marks and Spencers or Tesco). I don't know how to find what suits me and am fairly new to this, and haven't really expressed myself much androgynously, yet.

If anyone could advise me, I'd be really grateful.

#1 wiganbolton1986b, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pay attention to how women dress in gender neutral ways.
    I myself prefer solid color nylon running pants or sweatpants, white jogging shoes and a loose cotton Tee's in brighter colors.
    I also wear a thin gold necklace, my treat to my feminine side.

#2 JaimeGaye, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm much the same. My biggest problem with dressing female, is finding clothes that fit me. Finding a perfect fit in men's clothing is hard enough since I am 6 '6" tall. What I like to do is paint my fingernails pink, and carry a purse. I also find men's clothes that are pink, since I love the color pink.

4. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find that online shopping makes things easy (too easily really, in that it's easy to stay inside the house.) Amazon in particular seems to have accurate size charts for most clothes, or the sellers put the sizes in the product description..

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find shops that do a 'tall' section. Finding clothes the right size for you makes all the difference to your confidence. As a guy that's 5'5 and tiny enough to fit in age 12 still when I found the brands that suited my body I felt so much better about myself. A quick Google search gave me stores like new look, next, ASOS and an online store called 'longtallsally' which looks like it could be helpful. Bear in mind that most stores don't stock tall in store so you might have to order online and then return online or in store - whichever is easier for you.

6. DinoArtist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going through the same thing to be honest. I'm actually going through a pink and black phase.

7. wiganbolton1986b

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I tend to buy in-person from stores rather than online, mainly thrift stores (charity shops in British English) and looked in TK Maxx yesterday but didn't actually buy anything.

Surprisingly, TK Maxx didn't seem to care, which probably can only be a good thing, not sure what all store policies are on opposite-gender clothing in birth-gender changing rooms.

8. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don’t think it matters if something “suits” you, so much as if you like it and are comfortable wearing it. If you’re not sure about fashion, you might look through sites like Pinterest or Lookbook or do a few google image searches for some ideas.

Some jewelry like a bracelet or necklace seems easy enough if you like that sort of accessory. Otherwise, I would start with basic things... plain t-shirts and jeans, yoga pants, or leggings. Getting them in a girl’s cut should make a difference, and then you’ll have an idea of sizing for other outfits. From there it’s really up to what you like to wear.

Afraid I don’t have suggestions for stores since I don’t know much about the UK. For pants it might be easier to check regular stores instead of thrift since (at least here) thrift stores tend to have a totally random selection... I can always find shirts but never pants.