1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! I really like my best friend, and I'm not sure if she feels the same way

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Destiny130, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Destiny130

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys. Basically, I really like (love, maybe?) my best friend. I always think to myself; oh, she'll never like me... I'm not attractive enough, and what are the odds that someone I like would like me back, especially of the same sex. I really need to know what you guys think, because obviously it's very likely that I'm reading into things too much, hoping for a positive outcome. Tell it to me straight! Here are some things she's done or does:

• She's very touchy, but she tries to do it discreetly, much like I do to her. For example she will grab me around the neck (jokingly haha) with her arms and kind of wrestle with me. She always wrestles me and tickles my stomach. She always sleeps on my shoulder during long car rides and stuff, I don't think she does that with other friends. One time in particular recently, she rested her head on my lap when we were sitting on the couch watching a movie and asked me to play with her hair.

• She keeps my clothes. I usually dress in male clothes (I do not identify as a male or such at all) so I have a fair amount of comfy shirts and hoodies. She always used to ask to keep some. I'd let her. One time she uploaded a photo to Instagram wearing my shirt she got a while before and the caption to the photo read "Haha aw, I still have it". But she didn't tell me about the photo or anything, so I don't know if she wanted me to realise she was meaning the shirt. I got to excited so I just started to look for other things in the photo that she could've been referring to, but honestly it was just a photo of her and I couldn't notice anything else.

• One time we were laying on a fold out bed together, we were just talking to my younger brother. We weren't sleeping in the bed, just laying on it. I was just laying behind her, we weren't touching. Then we both just got up about 5 minutes later and left to each others bedroom. Then within 20 minutes, someone had messaged me (without her knowing) some screenshots of some texts between this person (we'll call him Jake) and herself. She was telling Jake how we were just laying on the bed and that I was putting my hand on her hip and so she asked what do I want, and I apparently signified to go to the bedroom. I was so confused because none of that happened... why would she say it? I don't get it. She doesn't know till this day that Jake sent that to me, I was a little embarrassed so I just kept quiet. It also happened another time, about a year after this she told this Jake guy that she mentioned something about lesbians and I went all funny.. this definitely didn't happen, I would've remembered it.

• Once we were sitting by the computer at my place just doing stupid stuff, and she decided to prop her phone up and just video ourselves talking and saying funny things. We do things like that often. Towards the end of the video she grabbed my face and gave me the biggest kiss on the cheek, almost like it was a big urge. I loved it but I just acted like it was normal and tried not to get flustered.

• She lived an hour away from me at one point, we were about 15. She used to come and stay at my place every second or third weekend, she would catch the bus for an hour to get to me. I'd always want her to stay longer so I'd convince her to stay for another night. She sometimes have work the next day (part time job). But then she would ring up and say she can't make it. This happened every time she stayed.

• About a year ago, she had just come back home from visiting her family flying distance away. I decided to sleep with her in her room that night because I was happy she was back and wanted to hang out. Her and my other friend who was staying over (who she's also kinda friends with) were having conversations, I was trying to sleep. As weird as it sounds I just fake slept because I was trying to sleep anyway, hahaha. Then I decided I'm gonna cuddle up to her and see what she does. I wrapped my arms around her arm, put my head on her arm or shoulder, put my head all the way up near her neck. It sounds weird, I know, but I just wanted to see her reaction, it would've helped me work out her feelings more.. She was just having conversations like normal with my friend while I was doing this, she was just acting like it was normal. Then I seen a flash through my eyelids haha, assuming she'd taken a photo of me. Just assumed she was being funny. They talked for a hour or two and then went to bed. I woke up the next morning and the my other friend was looking at her snapchats and she opened the photo of me, and it was captioned 'cute'. I didn't get the snapchat, so she mustn't have wanted me to see it.

• Once I decided to go hang out with her in her room. At this time she only had a single bed because she had just moved in, so it was a bit squishy. We were just being funny and taking stupid photos of each other, but I had just laid on the edge of her bed. Somehow I found myself laying between her legs, but I didn't even realise at first. We weren't doing anything, it just happened to be the position we were sitting. She didn't ask me to move or anything.

• She sometimes mentions that she dislikes lesbians. But, I do that too. I know it seems like such a terrible thing to say, but I only do it to hide the fact that I have feelings for her. I wonder if she says it for the same reason.

• She was leaving my place for a month or so to go visit her family around Christmas time, and a night or two before we were sitting on the couch and she lied down and put her head on my lap and asked me to scratch her head.. we were doing that for a good 20 minutes or so just watching the tv.

• A few years ago she had a boyfriend and they were texting each other and having an argument. I was sitting with her and she's being silly to him trying to annoy him, we were just sitting there laughing together, I mean that's what friends do.. Anyway, it's gonna sound confusing but she sent him something like an emoji of a boy and a girl holding hands saying "You and your new girlfriend", then sent another one of two girls holding hands saying "Me and my girlfriend because I'll turn lesbian". She was being a smart ass trying to annoy him, but why would she go through the efforts or why would she bother saying something like that?

I seriously can't figure out her intentions or motives. Please don't just tell me what I wanna hear (that she likes me back), tell me what you really think. I just need to know if I should keep putting my efforts into her.

2. foreveralo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From my experience, it is about time you politely reveal a small portion of your feelings to her and ask her if you have some special place in her heart. Because if you never ask, you'll never know and trust me when you are at this comfort level with your friend, they are never offended and talking to them turns out very easy.

3. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, it's impossible to know for sure unless she tells you one way or the other. Coming out to her would be a good place to start. I wish I could tell you more.

4. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i would tell her you like girls, ask her how she feels about, that maybe ask if she could ever see herself w a girl maybe talk about double dates or something...test the water you seem pretty close

5. Melin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd come out to her, but don't necessarily take the conversation further the first time. She might not be expecting to have a chat, so gushing it all out in one go could be too much. Come out, see how she respinds, maybe carry on, but be ready to switch conversations and let her digest it and cone back next time, or even a few weeks later.

I'd also recommend coming out and then gently being ambiguous in your behaviour. Set up scenes that play to seduction fantasies, eg walk in dark, in country, open fire, etc. For some peopke like me chatting it through works, for others that can freak them out, even if they're ibterested. After holding all this in for so ling you can risk it being a volcano exploding it all in one go, which is not necessarily attractive or seductive.

Good luck!