1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cartilage Piercing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SomecallhimTim, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just got my forward helix pierced and I've been having a hard time figuring out how long I have to wait to change the jewelry. I was thinking I would wait a few months at least and I've seen websites saying 2 or 3 months is fine and others saying not to change it for a year or more. Do any of you guys know? Thanks!

2. J4yy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It mostly depends on the person. I don't ever change my piercings for 3 months. But some people have to wait a year tho, my mom really messesd up her piercing by changing it at 3 months because it wasn't fully healed. I would just check it at the 3 month mark, see if it hurts, if it doesn't, great you can change it. I always use steal for the first time changing jewelry, cause it better for your skin b

3. Percy15

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I do with piercings is wait for a few months and see how it feels before changing it. My ears are really sensitive, so I usually wait longer because my ear is still sore/enflamed even three months after getting the piercing. Another thing is that with any cartilage piercing you should be pretty careful with what you put in it. Most of my piercings are old enough at this point that I don't worry too much about what I put in them but putting costume jewellery in my cartilage really irritated it at first.

4. Mazely

Mazely Guest

It also depends on whether you have any complications. I pretty much always have complications with my piercings because I have issues with healing so I have to wait longer to change my piercings. If you aren't getting anymore discharge, usually lymph, it's not red, and it doesn't hurt, I would say go ahead and change it. But if you have any of the above you should wait because it could causr trauma to the piercing which will cause hypertrophic scarring, or piercing bumps. If that does happen wash it with warm water and antimicrobial/antibacterial soap, like Dial, and then use tea tree oil. It will keep it clean and bring down the swelling, as well as suck out anything that may have gotten in there that shouldn't be. If the bump persists but it doesn't hurt and is completely healed you can treat the scar tissue with jojoba oil or vitamin E oil to help bring it down and make it look like regular skin.

#4 Mazely, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018