1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone’s okay with it but me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by willowshere, Jan 21, 2018.

1. willowshere

Okay, not everyone. But.
    All through grade school I was with my mother, who is is pretty religious. My parents got divorced a couple of years ago and my mom became even more of a super-devoted Christian. She’s always been homophobic, in subtle but clear ways, like getting upset when my brother and I were watching a movie with two men getting married, and just avoiding the subject. As a kid I was very afraid of gay people, actually. It was super irrational and wrong, but they were this scary group of people that we didn’t talk about. For most of this time I don’t think I even totally understood what being gay was. I was always so afraid that I would be gay, and someone would find out. There was some clothing ad with girls on the beach I saw on our computer and I think I felt something and as soon as I noticed I closed it and did that thing where you just adjust your memory to skip over a certain part that you shove away.
    Anyway, I got older, and through exposure to other stuff, I realized that maybe being gay was not an unspeakable thing. Honestly, Harry Potter fanfiction and Blue is the Warmest color helped me more than anything. I’d just never seen gay people being - people. By mid high school, I was watching any new movie in the LGBT section on netflix. I sort of knew I was attracted to girls st this point... it wasn’t a huge realization. I think I always knew and then slowly it just sort of poked into my conscious from my subconscious. My dad noticed once, and he asked if I was watching movies about gay people because I was gay. I said no, of course.
    I should mention I was also attracted to boys, and had tons of crushes on them. I think part of it was that I was always so into the idea of romance and dating etc., but I still find guys attractive now. I guess I’m a bisexual? I know it’s dumb, but I don’t want to be called a bisexual. I picture someone making out with everyone and kissing the same sex for attention. I KNOW THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG and I’m trying to change how I think. I’d rather be called bisexual than queer, anyway. I think having an umbrella, nebulous term like queer is totally necessary, but to me it still feels like a slur. People used to say it quietly to explain acquaintances who go home with their ‘partner’ which I remember asking about. Why would someone live with their business partner? That seemed a bit much. “Queer” in a resigned voice. I don’t want that. I don’t want my mother to talk about me with that word in that tone.
    Sorry, that was a long tangent.
    Once over lunch I mentioned something involving gay people and my mom told me the whole story of Sodom and Gomorrah, with the salt and everything. In a Panera. It was not great.
    Fast forward. I’m in college now. and being gay is like. Not a big deal. At all. Everyone is totally fine, and good, and chill, etc. But... it is to me? It ‘s like really big? I had hell dreams as a kid, I can’t just say that I like girls like it’s nithubg. I’ve told a couple of people, casually, when ur cane up in conversation, and I felt weird after. No one ever reacts when I tell them. I don’t get that. I looked on facebook and saw that two girls in the grade above me had gotten together. They were popular, pretty, one is actually a model. It startled me like crazy. some of the pictures of them together were from high school. I was blown away. was it okay to be gay that whole time?
    I went through high school thinking my sexuality was just somethig I would have to deal with later. Seeing that they weed together. wow. And I sort of realized, I project a certain amount of homophobia onto the people surrounding. And the problem in high school probably wasn’t the other people as much as it was my own thoughts. I don’t know if I can describe it properly, but seeing these girls together made me feel so... lost? blindsighted, really. Why did no one tell me it was okay to like girls too?
    So, back to now. I’m at college, and I don’t know if I could ever tell my mother. My brother always said if one of us turned out gay, she would change her tune within a week. She is so loving and sweet that I almost believe that. but she had this poster board on the mantel where she wrote the things most important to her. God is in top, then her family, and the dog.
    Based on the chart, I’m really not confident she would come around anytime soon.
    And I’m bisexual. It’s a little ridiculous that I’m making such a big deal out of this, considering it’s probably much easier for me that someone who’s totally gay. I’ve just been thinking about it I think because I had this huge (as in spanning many months and I cried a lot) almost-relationship with a girl in high school, and we’ve been talking lately and we’re planning on going on a road trip this summer together with a couple other friends. Also, some of my friends at home who are also gay-ish (ha) want to go to a gay bar over spring break. And there’s this thing at school called “Queer Beers” , but with any of these things, I sometimes feel like a fraud. And I still have that back if the mind
    “what if this is wrong?”

I know this is super long and doesn’t really have a pint? but advise about coming out or how to adjust I guess. To an environment where everything is okay? nothing to a big drak

Richard321 likes this.
  2. willowshere

I couldn’t finish because I accidentally submitted the post before I was done (whoops), and I can’t edit bc the system thinks it’s spam? anyway, the point is...
    Any advise or thoughts would be really appreciated.

3. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @willowshere

In my opinion what you describe reminds me alot of someone who has quite a bit of internalized homophobia. While you may accept other people being gay/bi it sounds like you have trouble accepting that gay-ness in yourself. Work on loving and accepting yourself first, then when you're ready to come out and bisexual/not straight you can do so. :slight_smile: Try not to worry about what anyone else thinks and be yourself. That's the best advice I can give, really. I hope this helps.

Wesley007 likes this.
  4. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't be afraid or ashamed of yourself for being different. I know it is a lot to take in but try to just take everything slowly and start off with talking to someone you feel comfortable with and then maybe a therapist or a trusted friend and go from there?

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wesley007 likes this.
  6. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in college I thought I was a "straight ally." I wasn't really but for whatever reason I couldn't admit that. I can't even blame my parents, since they didn't say bad things about gay people. Now I'm much older and I feel like I've missed a lot of opportunities. My point is, that you are doing the right thing to not try to push this down inside yourself and keep it under wraps. (I'm not saying you should come out to your mom or other people, that's not up to me, just that it's good to come out to yourself when you're ready.) And it is a big deal, because it's a big deal to you! I'm like you, I don't want to identify as bisexual. I am still struggling with that. And I often feel like a fraud when I go to LGBT events. One time I felt so bad I almost left and I told myself "that's it, no more LGBT events, just be straight" but as you can see that didn't work. I'm sorry for talking about myself so much - I just want you to know that you are not alone.

7. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can only add that I was never ashamed or confused about being gay.
    I was ashamed and confused about others being ashamed and confused about me being gay.