1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hollycat26, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Hollycat26

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, I've decided I want to come out. My friend is bi, so I know that she won't have a problem with it, but I am concerned with other factors (I won't name all of them because I don't want this to be too long, but you can read my other threads if you want). I have really bad anxiety and an extreme fear of rejection. So..... I'm going to be coming out over phone (I would do it over text, but I don't want my mom to find out so I don't want to leave any "evidence"). I know that this seems like a face-to-face conversation, but I simply can't take that stress. Also, we have a 3 day weekend at out school, so she can have some time to think about it before I see her again. I will update with results. Any support would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hollycat26

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok wellllll...... I did it! I called her up and told her. She is totally fine with it and promised not to tell anyone. So happy!!!!!! :slight_smile:

blanlovesgrey and NickiFire like this.
  3. NickiFire

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can do it!!! I know it seems daunting, coming out may be one of the hardest things you'll do (especially to those you really care about), but is so so liberating and empowering once you do it. I came out to my parents just last weekend, and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I remember looking at myself in the mirror, absolutely terrified, but I knew I was going to do it no matter what this time. I took some deep breaths, clenched my hands, then unclenched them. I looked myself in the eyes and that was it, I was ready. I don't think my regular self wasn't brave enough to do it; I had to reach a little bit deeper. I've come out to a total of 6 people now - my parents, my twin sister, and three of my good friends. Each and every time I was braced for the absolute worst and was honestly taken aback by how relaxed and accepting a response I got instead. There is always a potential for things to be sub-optimal, and I totally get that you are terrified because you want people to see and love you for who you are, rather than see you in a different light. But sometimes we don't get to see where we're going to land before we jump. We just have to do it, and trust. Trust in your friend, but more importantly trust in yourself. Trust in your ability to face any challenge or disappointment, because remember - heroes don't always have things go their way. But that doesn't stop them from trying. And it certainly doesn't stop them from persevering until things get better and ultimately exceeding what they were before. So my advice to you would be to reach deep inside yourself and find that inner fire burning through your veins. You will always be afraid of exposing yourself like this, but know deep in your heart that your inner soldier will carry you through these moments. That's what I did. You will do it too. Just remember, you are stronger than you know.

Nicki

Hollycat26 likes this.
  4. NickiFire

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow!!! That is incredible!!! :slight_smile: I'm sorry for posting my reply late, it took me a while to type it up. I hope it can still help you in the future, if you need it. Either way, I'm so so happy for you :slight_smile: Wishing you the best of luck in the future

5. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad everything went well <3