1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to be friends with a former crush?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Jan 23, 2018.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long story short I had a massive crush on a lesbian work colleague and as I got to know her I really fell for her. I’m married (to a guy) and she is in a long term relationship. There was flirting and I felt like we had (and still have) an emotional connection. I decided against telling her how I felt as I knew she was in the process of making serious commitments to her gf and I didn’t think she felt the same way. Although I’m sure she had an idea of how I felt.

I should add, I’ve identified as Bi since I was a teenager but she reminded me just how not straight I am and maybe also made me realise I’m missing something in my relationship.

I’ve got to the point where I would really just like to be her friend. Is this possible? And is it realistic? We get on well and I enjoy spending time with her.

However I feel her behaviour was and still is very attention seeking towards me and sometimes a little manipulative. I feel as though our ‘friendship’ crossed boundaries although nothing physical ever happened.

2. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its definitely possible, ive done it. But you have to be certain the feelings are gone before you head into friendship.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  3. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Short answer - yes, it's possible.
    Long answer - it's a very individual and personal thing. Some people become friends after being in a full-on relationship. After a serious (hetero) relationship I was in, we tried to be friends and get together casually, but every time we did I felt like we were breaking up all over again. It just didn't work for me.
    I think you need to ask yourself if hanging out with this person helps your well-being, or not.

Tightrope and dirtyshirt84 like this.
  4. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Soundofmusic and @SevnButton

That’s really helpful. I definitely need to ask myself if my feelings are really gone (possibly not entirely) and if the friendship is helping by wellbeing or not (possibly not at the moment).

I wish I had been able to have an honest conversation with her about it all but I’m not sure how it would have went down. I’ve definitely learned a lot of lessons for the future though.

I’ve never really managed to be friends with any of my exes although I am still vaguely in touch with some. I think it either hurt too much or the other person had no interest in being friends.

I think you are right @SevnButton, it will depend on the individuals and the circumstances.

5. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the above that it’s possible, but personal. I’ve maintained friendships with past partners and crushes, but I had to maintain space for a while. After that, I maintain certain boundaries. But I think it’s possible.

Devil Dave and dirtyshirt84 like this.
  6. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm in love with my best friend (she doesn't know), so I would say it's definitely possible.
    (I do think you should be honest with your husband about these feelings you're having though)

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  7. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seems like she might be a bit of a player. If you can stay firmly on the friend side it shouldn't be a problem but it kinda feels like you might want more than that?

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  8. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always be friend with your former crush as long as set aside your feelings to that person.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  9. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I think that’s part of the problem, because we work together it’s been very hard for me to maintain space in order to get properly over my feelings.

If we are going to be friends boundaries will definitely need to be a lot clearer (for me at least).

10. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My husband knows I’m Bi (he always has) and that I used to have a gf. He knows I came out to my ‘friend’ but I never told him about having feelings for her. Idk, I knew it would hurt him although I prefer to be as honest as I can.

Do you think you will tell your best friend? Does she know about your sexuality?

11. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I’d say she definitely enjoyed stringing me along for a while. Whether she had any genuine feelings for me, I just don’t know.

I really did want more for a long time but as I’ve accepted that’s not going to happen I would like to have a genuine friendship.

12. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read this as you're still open to something happening if she changes her mind.... I don't mean to "mind read" but i worry that if you are still holding onto feelings for her it could easily lead to trouble down the road if she's kinda flirty or likes to string you along. If you can fully close the door on the romantic stuff you can be in a place of control. I know I'm coming at this a little ... black and white.. I just know from my personal life that yes you can be friends even close friends but if you still have romantic feelings towards them it will cause problems. You can always address them as they pop up but something will pop up :/

13. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, she’s not going to change her mind and also with the commitments she is making to her gf I wouldn’t be interested anyway even if she did.

You are right though, I need to get the control back :slight_smile: I think I need to not respond to any flirty or attention seeking behaviour on her part.

Devil Dave likes this.
  14. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :slight_smile: That's the spirit, and it's ok to respond to her being flirty, respond don't react.
    About the hubby part, you've had a gf in the past so would he not take it well if you had a new one?

15. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I meant I had a gf years ago before I met him. We’ve talked about the possibility of opening the marriage but I’m not sure how serious he is.

16. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck, these things can be tough. I have a book i no longer need i could send lol. I bought a book on poly relationships when I thought that's what was happening in my life. I read the first 5 pages before finding out that my wife didn't want any kind of poly relationship. It's called.."
    Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships Paperback – May 1, 2008. 4.5 stars on amazon and i've seen it come up on some of the poly sites i looked at.

17. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it’s a coworker, then yes, boundaries are so important. I was in a similar situation, actually, and told the person we couldn’t interact for X amount of time. After I moved on, we don’t communicate outside working hours since it was a mutual attraction and they’re in a relationship. We also don’t talk about certain things out of respect for one another.
    It’s incredibly hard, but just as you said, said boundaries have to be clear and enforced. They’ll actually diffuse any anxiety you may have because you’ll know what you expect of yourself and this girl.

#17 signmypapyrus, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's possible and I've done it as well.

Oftentimes, it's about how much shifting you've done, especially considering the OP's listed sexual orientation. If you're both in the friend zone zone with respect to each other at this point, it's very possible. Not only that, you'll need to have things in common to keep the friendship going. One of my best friends today is someone I had had several experiences with when young, but it wasn't a crush.

If the playing field is not equal, where one might still be attracted to the other and it's not reciprocated, it's probably not possible. On top of that, if there are big differences in how you view relationships and sexuality, even though you have a lot of things in common, that could be a problem, too. These point to big differences in values. If you want to look at situations where one partner or spouse supported Trump and the other did not, this alone caused some couples to separate. I was just using that as an example.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  19. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that’s interesting. When we first met I was sure she was attracted to me too, she just wasn’t going to take it any further (where as I would have at that time). We work in a small office and if anything had happened it could have made the working environment awkward for everyone.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head actually though - I’ve felt anxious at times because I don’t know where I stand or what to expect and I’m pretty sure she will have felt the same.

That does sound like a hard situation you were in but glad you have managed to remain friends :slight_smile:

20. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have a lot in common - being queer being one of those thing, being geeks another - and have the same political views. We’re never short of anything to talk about so that is not a problem :slight_smile: