1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ward Cleaver is Gay!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SevnButton, Jan 20, 2018.

1. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm living the traditional suburban family lifestyle, much like the '60's sitcom. Only now it's living color, not black-and-white. And even though I often manage to bury it, I am bi. It kind of scares the s*** out of me, because burying the truth doesn't work, but doing something that would mess up my dear family doesn't work either. What would June say if she found out Ward was making out with men?

Anyone else out there in the same pickle?

2. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if I have got this quite right so apologies if I have misunderstood things but it sounds like you are looking for/having a same-sex relationship whilst already in an opposite sex one? You have already acknowledged you are bi and may be getting more of an inclination towards guys, which is quite normal, but unless you are unhappy with your female partner I don't know what the motivation for telling her would be, other than to relieve yourself of some supposed guilt at suppressing these feelings. Whatever the type of relationship if you feel it isnt working then communication is the key as ultimately both of you want and deserve happiness, whether that is with or without each other.

In my opposite sex relationships none of the girls ever knew I was into boys too because it wasn't an issue as I was happy with them at the time. Even break-ups were not because I suddenly felt I needed to be with a guy and I guess this is the key question which only you can answer but I think you need to be honest with yourself and your other half as in the long term it is the only way forward. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Bicchi, Wesley007 and Richard321 like this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SevnButton.... Hi and I'm glad that you have found us here on empty closets! I don't think that mask1985 caught the reference to "Leave It To Beaver" , but the advice was good. I do understand how you feel. I think that I am older than you (67), but I am in a similar position. Married (39 years) to a woman that I love a lot, although I now understand that I love her emotionally, not sexually, three adult sons and four grandkids that I love dearly. And I am and always have been gay. I didn't accept it until three years ago. It's absolutely amazing how much we can ignore facts that are right in front of us and convince ourselves of something that isn't true. I felt so very trapped before I actually came out (and after for a while). If I accepted that I really was gay how could I stay in a mixed-orientation marriage? But I loved my wife and kids and grandkids....I could not destroy my family. The conflict was destroying me. I think that is probably pretty much what you are feeling right now. I can tell you that I have found, what I consider to be, a "way out". I can't say that it would work for everybody, work for you...but I will share it. First I had to really accept myself. I had to understand that there was nothing wrong with me, that I wasn't "broken" or evil. I had to get rid of the shame and guilt that I carried for such a long time. I had to love myself, I had to end the self-hate that had almost ended my life. Then I had to really understand that communication with my wife was absolutely necessary. It was a year and a half after I came out (here on empty closets) that I was finally able to tell her. It was the hardest thing that I have ever done. I was only able to do it with the help of a wonderful LGBTQ therapist (he is gay). Without his help I could not have done it. She and I have talked a lot...and I mean a lot! Neither of us wanted a divorce. Neither of us wanted to breakup our family. It helped a great deal that I had never broken my marriage vows, never cheated on her. I chose my wife and family over having any kind of a gay relationship with another guy. I know that is just not possible for some guys and it wasn't/isn't easy for me, but that was the sacrifice that I chose to make. I do have some gay friends and my wife knows who they are. She knows when we get together for coffee or lunch and she trusts me. I will not break that trust. I am only out to a few very close friends, my wife and my oldest son (another story entirely - he is a pastor). We are happy and my wife will even make an occasional gay joke! So there you have it....she knows I am gay, we are staying together. We haven't had sex for a very long time anyway, so not having it now is no problem for her. I am what has been politely called "autosexual" and it's okay. I have a few gay friends to talk to, I have empty closets and I still see my therapist. I am happier now than I think I have ever been. That "terrible secret" no longer has any power over me. I am hiding nothing from my wife. I know that what I have worked out will not work for a lot of people...but it does work for some of us! I wish the very best as you search for the answer that will work for you. Don't give up...it is possible to find happiness.
    ...David :gay_pride_flag:

WildT, HunterRose, MOGUY and 3 others like this.
  4. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi David-
    You really hit the nail on the head! Yeah, I'm married and have been for almost a quarter-century, and all our kids are still at home. I have never cheated on my wife, unless you count the "autosexual" part. I've thought about maybe just making out with a guy, but even that lacks integrity if I do it secretly. When we were very first married, I opened up to my wife about my "gay side". We talked about it a little, and even attended a Bi Net meeting, but it was so awkward and uncomfortable that my wife and I quit talking about it a long time ago. She is full-on straight, and I never felt like she really understood. She's also an insecure person with a lot of pent-up anger. But she's also a very kind and loving woman.
    It actually helps me a lot to write here, to folks that really do understand. I'm actually pretty comfortable with myself, and even more so with daily meditations where I wish for things like truly knowing who and what I am.

Adray, quebec and greatwhale like this.
  5. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mask1985, thank you very much for your reply. I think I wasn't very clear in my post. I'd be OK with a relationship with a woman, then one with a man, and so on, but not at the same time. Hopefully my post just before this one clears up what I was trying to say.

Adray and mask1985 like this.
  6. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    David, I hope you're still watching this thread because you and I seem to be very similar except that you're about the age of my oldest sibling. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a ledge that's getting narrower and narrower. At the moment, the ledge feels more like a safe resting place where I can get more in-touch with who and what I am, and where I want to go. Because you wrote that you came out here on Empty Closets about a year and a half before you told your wife, I've picked Summer 2019 as a target for getting off the ledge. That probably means re-starting the dialog with my wife that we dropped so long ago. Meanwhile, I can hang out here on Empty Closets, be supportive of the other folks here, and focus on being OK not just with myself but also with my situation.

Adray likes this.
  7. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    mask1985, I re-read your post this morning and saw that you had written exactly what I needed: "... you need to be honest with yourself and your other half as in the long term it is the only way forward". I can only begin to express how deeply that resonates with me this morning.

A little earlier this morning I was asking myself, "How can I tell others the truth, when I don't what the truth is?". The answer I got was that the question I had just asked WAS the truth.

mask1985 likes this.
  8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SevnButton...You bet I'm still watching the thread! Even though I am older than you, our situation is much the same. I am here for you if I can answer any questions or just be someone to bounce ideas off of. I understand very well how tough this can be...but I want you to know...no matter how it turns out in the end, that there is happiness out there for you and your family. It always means that adjustments will need to be made, but if people are willing to try, it can happen. Hang in there!
    ....David:gay_pride_flag:

SevnButton likes this.
  9. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking back over my life, my non-straight sexuality seems obvious. As a kid when I would somehow get my hands on a Playboy magazine (wow! - way pre-internet) I'd look for the pictures of a man and a woman together, and I mostly liked looking at the man. Then there was my friend next door - it must have been in junior high school when we'd go oral on each other. In college, I remember walking across campus and saying out loud to myself, "I am gay", and it felt good and honest. After college I met a guy, had sex and spent the night with him. But somehow I manage to push all that to the back of my mind where I barely notice it.

Reminds me of a poster I saw that said, "The obscure we eventually discover. The obvious often takes a bit longer."

Over the last few years I've had trouble sleeping. I'd get to sleep OK, but then I'd wake up at about 4:00 in the morning and I'd be awake until time to get up a few hours later. Motivated by a developing awareness of the lack happiness in my life, about half a year ago I started meditating most every evening before going to bed. Part of the meditation is to wish for things, starting with wishing for happiness in my life. Almost magically, I started noticing times during the day that I would laugh robustly. The wishes include wishes to give back. The wishes have stayed much the same but also evolve over time. These days, one of my wishes is to know who and what I am. Then I found Empty Closets. I'm sleeping pretty well now.

Please tell me about your path.

10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    BTW, it's clear that you are NOT broken or evil. Too bad I couldn't have set you straight on that a long time ago! :slight_smile:

11. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Having been in that situation myself I can relate a lot with what you've written. Kudon not cheating on your wife. I also envy that you were able to talk to your wife about your bi feelings before you got married; seems you've already cleared a big hurdle.

12. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, justaguyinsf. Problem is I wimped out and dropped the conversation. There's like 20 years of catching up to do.

13. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Holy ****!! Reading over this thread, I realize I've been more honest and open than ever before in my life. Thanks to you all for making this a safe, supportive place to tell the truth about myself.

Rana, HunterRose and MOGUY like this.
  14. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SevnButton....I am so glad that you found empty closets. :old_smile: Your thread does contain a wealth of caring and support....that's what we do! (Or try to most of the time!) To give you a short answer about "My Path"...because it really is a very long answer...I fought against ever admitting to myself that I was gay for many years. In spite of the fact that between the ages of 17-22 I was full-on gay with quite a few other guys. My "final crisis" over my sexuality was on Dec. 25, 2014. I chose to come out here on empty closets that night instead of taking my own life. That first post was answered and those that replied to my post that night saved me. Again Greatwhale I owe you my very life. For the first time in my life I had some one to talk to, to ask help of and to learn from. Without those first answers I would not have made it. Even after I accepted myself, I faced a terrible conflict as I was and still am a religious person. It took another two years until I finally understood how so many parts of the Bible have been twisted to fit what society finds acceptable. A couple of books and a lot of research helped me through that. That is why I now understand that I am not broken or evil. I thought for a long time that I should never had been born. I was filled with self-hate, guilt and shame. My life has changed so much...the guilt, the shame, the self-hate...all of it is gone and I truly love myself now. I am gay and it makes me feel good to say that. It is part of who I am and I now know that I have a family, a place where I belong....my precious, dear LGBTQ family that I missed for so very long.
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

15. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had this great (but obvious) realization this morning: just because I acknowledge, accept and embrace that I am gay, that doesn't mean I have to go have sex with anyone, the choice is still mine. That really helps me to relax.

BTW, is it OK if I call myself "gay"? The truth is that I'm not certain what my identity really is, other than not-entirely-straight. "Gay" is so nice and clear, concise and honest.

16. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    David, that was a profound post you made here yesterday. You inspired me to do a scan of the welcome area this evening, in case there's anyone in distress. This site is not only good, it's important. That really sucks that you had to go through such despair, but it's fantastic that your story turned out well. That December 25, 2014, in which forum did you post? How long did it get you to get replies?
    I'm also interested in how you reconciled with your religion.

17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SevnButton....Thank you and I am so pleased that you are looking for our family members that so need our help. The post was on the Welcome Lounge. I received replies within about ten minutes. It's still amazing and profoundly moving that those simple offers of help changed my life. They not only gave my life back to me, the gave me a new life that is more exciting every cherished, special day.
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

18. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey David - I think it was a team effort. The support you got was crucial, and so was your willingness to be helped. It's a model for success. I am SO GLAD it worked and that you're here now.

19. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK, it's a modest step, but what's that saying about the greatest journey beginning with a single step? I've pretty much come out here at Empty Closets, and the honesty is changing my life. I'm energized during the day, I see new possibilities, and it even seems like my eyesight is better. One step at a time, each step in the right direction ...

20. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He wouldn't have caught the reference because he is A not American and B not quite old enough to really know. Please don't say mean things about my friend.

mask1985 likes this.