1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative binding methods

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SomecallhimTim, Jan 18, 2018.

1. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really wanted to get top surgery this summer but can't afford it, so I'm planning to start hormones instead, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I used a binder for about a month a year ago, but I had to stop pretty quickly because it hurt too much. I wasn't wearing it longer than I should have, and it was definitely the right size. The one I bought was from Underworks, and I also borrowed one from someone that was GC2B to see if it was any better and that one hurt even more (again, it definitely wasn't a sizing issue, I even asked the GC2B staff and they recommended a size smaller even than the one I tried). I also have minor sensory issues so the feeling of having anything tight anywhere on my body is extremely uncomfortable for me. Next year I am going away to school and I plan to be living full time as male. I don't think I'm too far away from passing right now, and the hormones will help. So the only thing left is that I can't use a regular binder and therefore have to figure out another way to hide my chest. I have a pretty small chest to begin with and I have a couple of t-shirts and some flannel shirts that make me look pretty flat. All my other shirts make it pretty obvious though and it's not really an option to change my whole wardrobe. Do you guys know of any alternative methods of binding or otherwise hiding my chest that would be more comfortable? I really don't need a lot of compression, just enough to flatten things out a little. Also do you have any tips for dealing with locker rooms or the communal bathrooms in dorms?

2. Percy15

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If having something tight around your chest is uncomfortable, then I doubt any other methods of binding will be more comfortable. Sports bras are often presented as an option for those who don't have access to a binder, so you could try that. If you're small chested, then one sports bra could be enough to have an effect. Personally, I find sports bras very uncomfortable because I'm very large chested and have to wear at least three sports bras to even flatten slightly.
    If you want to try sports bras, there are a couple of articles on WikiHow about binding (also includes some other binding methods if you're interested. I haven't tried any of them, so I can't say how effective/comfortable they are). The basic theory is to take a sports bra that is slightly too small (but not so small as to be uncomfortable), take out the padding, and then push your breasts to the side as you would when using a binder. With any kind of binding, you can apply baby powder underneath or wear a thin tank top to try to limit chafing.
    For general clothing, wear clothes that are baggy/a bit oversized. Sweatshirts work great because they hide the form and can be worn again. Button down shirts also work pretty well for me. Wearing layers also makes you look flatter.
    Good luck!

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wearing baggy clothes + layering clothes might help. I'm also fairly flat-chested, and in the winter I don't bind at all since I can just wear a sweatshirt and that hides my chest.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried sports tape? I think the brand name is KT tape, and if you have a small chest you can basically stick everything down. It was a bit of a trend in the FtM community lately. I tried it once and it did work well for me, but I've heard of people getting blisters and stuff.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used KT tape, if you get the waterproof one you can leave it on for 3 odd days at a time but I've only done that when I was abroad and stealth, wouldn't recommend it. You have to have an extremely small chest for it to bind very well but you can always use two pieces of tape one above the other if you're a bit bigger. Like the above poster said it can cause blisters and peel of your skin if you're not careful. Also be weary that it may affect skin elasticity which could then affect top surgery results in the future (if you're planning on having it).