1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical safety question about sex with a much smaller person

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Niagara, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's pretty embarrassing posting about this...

I've been able to be pretty sexual with a male friend I care about a lot lately, but due to a possibly unfounded fear of accidentally harming him I've made sure he is always the one in the dominant/top part of whatever we did. But... now he wants to try things the other way around, and although I definitely want him to be happy and want to pleasure him that way, I'm pretty concerned it could physically hurt him.

The thing is, he is a rather small and fragile person due to some childhood health issues, although it doesn't look as significant to anyone who doesn't know him as well as I do. He only weighs about 100 pounds with a small body frame, and I'm more than double his weight plus built like a linebacker.

Even something as simple as just laying on him the wrong way makes me concerned it might fracture a bone or make it hard for him to breathe. Then of course, small body means small ass too so I don't know if he would be able to handle that type of activity without pain.

I know he would not tell me if he were feeling uncomfortable during it, he would just deal with it and pretend everything is fine, which gives me no way to avoid injuring him if something goes wrong.

Is it safe to do this with him?

Am I just overly concerned about this?

I know it would be best to ask an actual doctor, but that can't happen in this case as he isn't comfortable discussing this part of his life with anyone other than me yet.

2. smurf

this is concerning in many ways.

Why wouldn't he be able to tell you that you are hurting him and to just readjust?

Unless he has a disease affecting the strength of his bones, you should be fine. Its not like you are putting all your weight on him at once.

Niagara likes this.
  3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's an odd pride thing for him. He is just like that with everything, someone could probably stab him and he would just sit there quietly trying to be "tough" about it and deal with it himself without seeking help. Which is why I'm overly cautious about things like this post... if I can't notice his discomfort, he will never say anything about it. I'm hoping I can eventually get him to stop using that mentality and realize it doesn't make him weak to tell someone when he is uncomfortable or in pain....but we aren't quite there yet...

He doesn't have any disease affecting bones though, he is just less durable than an average person is all. It seems like everything will be ok, and I was just being too cautious about it. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

4. smurf

You REALLY should focus about that mentality now better than later. Without him being able to see what he likes and doesn't like, how are you getting consent from him? What if he at one point wants to stop but isn't able to tell you? That is a very uncomfortable position for both of you. You should speak with him about your worries so he knows how big of a deal this is to you.

Niagara likes this.
  5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with @smurf that he needs to be able to communicate better with you.

I would also suggest that there are many positions for male-male intercourse that don't involve putting your weight on him. For example, with you standing on the floor and him on the bed either face up or face down. Many other positions as well - you can google search for more ideas on sexual positions for gay men.

Niagara likes this.
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there's no physical illness or disability affecting strength of bones (cancer, osteoporosis, etc), then there should be no concern about breaking bones or physical harm. With regard to anal sex, if he is somewhat inexperienced and/or you're unusually large, then you may simply need to take some time and be gentle, but the anus can stretch pretty significantly and so, given time and lots of lube, it is unlikely to be an issue.

I concur with Smurf about the issues of consent and his willingness to ask for what he needs. I think that's a really important conversation. His ability to open up to those things are crucial to a healthy, authentic relationship, and vulnerability is the birthplace of courage, so if you educate him that being able to express what's uncomfortable for him is actually an act of courage and taking responsibility for himself, perhaps it will be easier for him.

Zen fix and Niagara like this.
  7. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

There is definitely the inexperience thing going on, it will be his first time being on the receiving side of it (and my first time on the giving side), and I'd really hate for him to associate that with unpleasantness and end up afraid of doing it ever again. It's great to know the physical harm stuff won't be a concern, and of course everything would be gentle.

I fully agree that his mentality and consent stuff is important, I've just had a difficult time approaching that topic with him. When I tried he got defensive over it and I didn't want to force it on him if he wasn't ready to talk. Due to the being a small person thing he tries to act masculine to compensate for it, and it seems like he sees that discussion as an attack against his "manliness" or whatever.

This is a fantastic idea, and I will definitely try this. He has gone through a lot in a pretty short time-frame... between realizing how we feel about each other, him realizing his bisexuality, and then coping with that conflicting with his religious beliefs all in just a few weeks... I wanted to make sure I didn't push him too fast and cause him to feel overloaded with everything or think I'm trying to change who he is.

He knows I love him unconditionally, but I just wish he felt safe enough to talk to me about things that are bothering him without me having to prod it out of him. I don't know what else I can possibly do to show him it's ok to share his feelings with me and that nothing bad is going to happen because of it. It's not like I'm going to ridicule him for it, yet he seems to think he has to keep everything to himself all the time.

8. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah you shouldn't have to prod important pieces of communication out of him. That puts a lot on you and it isn't safe or, frankly, very sexy. I think it's lucky for him you care and aren't the type to just take their pleasure without any concern for these matters.

Niagara likes this.