1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 20 year old son just came out to me and I feel....

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by JakersMom, Nov 14, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. Yout son's traits sound very similar to mine when I was in high school. The exception is, I had attractions to guys in high school but didn't know what that meant.

The forum thread has been fun and informative. I've learned a lot.

#41 brainwashed, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. I think it's easier for me to see it because I didn't know myself. My girlfriend who knew but repressed it for a while struggles to understand how I possibly couldn't of known so I think it depends on our own experiences.

3. JakersMom

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to start a new thread but messed it up, so Ill continue here with a question for all that might want to respond.....

Last weekend my son came out to his buddies. It sounds like it went well, but in my imagination no one can really knows until he lives life around them with his reveal. My heart hopes that nothing changes for him because he is happy! Fear and reality tells me that not everyone will treat him the same and he will feel it. That is the nature of the beast I suppose and I will be here if he needs.

My reason for writing is for my own selfish reasons. I have kept this under wraps because it hasn't been MY story to tell. I have a need to talk about it because I hate secrets, especially when faced with a moment where I have to avoid or stretch the truth. But, even though he has started his journey of coming out, he has yet to tell his Dad. I'm torn between my own need to share it with people close to me, and the respect that I have for him and his timing.

When is it ok to talk about it? I suppose the answer is to ask him, and that is most likely what I will do, but there is a part of me that feels very gagged and restricted and its VERY hard.

Being a loyal and loving parent is difficult, especially if you consider we have our own needs to deal in our own way.

JakersMom

4. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jakersmom, i am a 23 year old woman who was ousted while still figuring out i liked girls, i was raised a Jehovah's witness, now some say it is bad, i don't think so, it is strict and generally anti gay practicing meaning you cant act on attraction to same sex, so for me being outed was EXTREMELY upsetting

, i kinda roundabout came out to a girl id been friends with since we were young she is about a year younger this was almost 2 years ago now, she told her mom And the elders in my hall, who told me they needed to talk to me w my mother, who is very homophobic and judgemental about anything she doesn't like, so i think she thinks i was just trying to get attention, she just looked dumbfounded really haven't talked much, but she seemed to increase her anti gay comments after finding out, when gay stuff was on TV she would comment on how gross it it, i have Aspergers, i was adopted by maternal aunt at birth, i still live at home, am on disability, currently don't have a liscence working on getting one, have a 7 year old brother with medium severity autism, and am stuck knowing i can never have a relationship w a woman, my biological mom accepts my sexuality, but she lives in Az and i live in Mo, and most times i dont want to have any association with witneses, but if i don't keep pretending i will lose my home, my family, and any friends i have, which actually i have no friends outside witnesses except maybe one...kinda, besides on here of course

, i have no hope to ever live my life how i want to live it, so if anything, be glad you are a good kind person who loves their son enough he can be fully himself around you, having to hide even a small part of yourself, which i hide betwen 75% and 85% of myself every hour of every day, u gave your son the best gift you could have given him, you love and acceptance, and hope, for the future, that he can have a boyfriend, and that you will probably want to meet his special someone☺.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

It's been a bit of time now, and your son sounds pretty mature, so it seems like it would be very reasonable for you to go to your son and just directly talk about the bind it puts you in, between two people you love and care about. Talk about the concerns or fears he has, and perhaps he would like you to tell him, or perhaps he'd like to write him a note or letter or something.

It should be his call, but he should also be considerate of you and your situation, and hopefully be willing to work with you on that.

As for his friends... what happens sometimes is it takes them a few days to sort of think and consider what this means, after which they are generally fine. Unless he has friends that are ultra religious or conservative, I seriously doubt there will be any issues.

6. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thats so cool. Wish my mum was as cool about things :frowning2:

7. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are shocked by the truth the reason why you are sad, and there's nothing wrong with that. He trusts you more than any other person in the world that's why he told you who he really is and who he wants to be. I am happy that you are there to support him. You are indeed a great Mom.

8. HisMom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I so get you. I think of all the times I joked about how his wife would continue the nagging in adulthood... like those are a million little messages I wished I'd not sent. Parenting is... full of these moments and regrets and love and... it's all just a little more complicated & we want to protect them. It's easier in the middle of the bell curve - but then we'd miss all the fun.

9. FinallyOut2015

You sound like an awesome parent, and you seem to be doing all of the right things, It is important to be respectful of his privacy, but also to address your own emotions. PFLAG is a good organization, but don't become too active in public activities without speaking to him. The stereotypical PFLAG MOM is not compatible with a mature guy who is still partially closeted. Also, PLEASE don't try to set him up with anybody. That is his job. It is good to help him network with LGBT friends, but the romance is up to him.

I am also a parent and I have always been prepared for whomever my 20-year-old daughter chooses to love. She has mild Aspergers so she is still operating at a less mature level and is not ready for dating. Her mother has asked that I remain closeted to her because she believes my daughter would have a tough time accepting. I disagree, bet respect her request, but I don't hold back on who I am. The other day my daughter made a comment when I used product in my hair that it looked more "formal" and less "sporty". I guess that is her way of saying it looked gayer. She is my only child and I accept her as she is, and I believe she would do the same for me.

10. scs96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Your reaction is really great, thank you for loving and accepting your son. My mom has done the same thing and she told me too after I came out that she felt extremely guilty for not seeing it sooner and not being able to help me. It's completely normal to feel those things and it's really not your fault at all.

11. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not so sure Norman Rockwell would really appreciate the association with heteronormativity he is given. His close friend and semi-teacher J.C. leyendecker was gay, and probably one of the closest to out celebrity figures of the time until the Great Depression, when his subject material became unpopular.

12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all I have to say what a great mother you are. Your reaction of loving acceptance is what people dream of getting from their parents. Your son is probably so grateful to have the support of his mom! What you are doing is great, he trusts you and will come to you if he needs you. Sometimes it is good to let the other person lead the conversation, but if you sense he wants to talk but can't, just keep giving him gentle reminders that you are there for him.

13. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound like a great mother, very caring and understanding and accepting...lots of us wished we had parents like you.