1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats good about being single?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noahand2, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Noahand2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just curious do to the fact I'm single and I'm free to do what I want, but most of my friends are in relationship and it makes me feel like a third wheel. I mean I would like to be in a relationship don't get me wrong, but all the guys around me are "just hit it and quit it" if you get my drift. I'm also picky which doesn't help but I have lowered my expectation recently ,and to which still hasn't help either. I just would like to know that being single isn't as bad as I'm painting it out to be.

What is so good about being single?

2. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    T-h-i-s.↓

#2 Fishtail, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Best thing about being single is not having to get dressed up to go on a date and not paying for food you didnt eat. Not being cold or mean just it is expensive being in a relationship

#3 Wesley007, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    mask1985 likes this.
  4. Noahand2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks I needed to know being single isn't a bad thing. XD

5. smurf

Being single and in a relationship don't carry any good or bad things about it.

I never understood people that said "Well, you are free now that you are single" because it implies that they feel trapped or constrained in a relationship. If they feel that way, why stay in such a horrible relationship?

Defending being single vs a relationship, while making someone feel better short term, it just doesn't work because it tries to mask the real reason why you are single. You are single not out of choice but because you haven't been able to find someone else that you are interested in. Of course this is different for people who are legitimately single by choice, which I know many of them. But those people already know their reasons and they don't need to come up with pros/cons lists.

So to me, your time is better spent thinking about what other areas of your life can you focus on so you can be happy. If your friends are unable to hang out without their partners, then get new friends. Find new hobbies and find people who you can connect with. Focus on aspects in your life so you don't have to rely on being in a relationship.

Because here is the thing. Those things will have to be worked on whether you are in a relationship or not. You will still need your hobbies with a partner. You will still amazing friends with a partner. You need your own life and your own happiness so you can have a relationship that will add to your happiness instead of your happiness depending on that one person.

#5 smurf, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are pros and cons to being in a relationship AND being single:

Being single, you don’t have to answer to anyone but yourself. Pay for your own food, be selfish, etc. Do what you want, and whenever you want.

Relationships, however, require effort, compromise, and communication (amongst other things). You can’t always be selfish. You can’t just “do whatever you want”, and expect your significant other to be okay with it.

I’m sure there’s more, but those are examples.

7. DinoArtist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We've always been single really. Even if you're with someone. There will always be more than just space between us. Expectations, baggage from the past, disagreements. We are connected and disconnected all at once.

8. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being single means you can live your life and not worry about a SO.

Being single means not spending money on people you might break up with a while later.

Being single means not eventually getting your heart broken.

Being single means having time to yourself.

Being single means being able to explore everything.

Being single means not having to stress over every text message they send you.

Being single means being able to eat the whole pie of pizza without anyone there to judge you and think you're crazy.

Being single means having time to love yourself before you love someone else.