1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gratitude, joy, life is beautiful

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jan 16, 2018.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is just a quick post, I really felt like reaching out to you all quickly.

Yesterday I had a good chat with a friend, and she said a lot of insightful things, but one of those things reminded me about where I left off in my journey just before some things happened that made things go dark for a bit.

I remembered that I had been doing this quiet reflection each day where I think about what I'm grateful for in my life, and that helped me in a lot of ways; it helped me clear the noise in my head, helped me find clarity in things I need to change and actions I need to take, helped me feel present, and focused my emotions on things that fill me with a lot of joy about my life.

Yesterday, I did that again, I took ten minutes thinking about all the things I'm grateful for. And I feel so much joy right now. It's realistic joy, presence in the here and now, I know there are things I need to take action about, but so much beauty in my life, and I'm so goddamn grateful for those things. My daughter for one, my partner, my family in America, my daughter's dad, life, the city I live in, my ability to move and breathe and sing, music, being out of the closet, being myself, being a bit different, my scars, my vulnerability, silliness, dancing, the sky, the sounds of life around me....

Anyway, I know the life I'm building is not a magic bullet for happiness, and yes I've got scars from the past, and difficulties in the present. But I'm so grateful for my journey. And I'm grateful for you all in here too!

#1 baristajedi, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Baristajedi what a beautiful thought. You are choosing happiness.

I am going to learn from your example and make time to do this as well.
    I am grateful that my new manager is supporting me, i am grateful my dog is recovering from her surgery and I am grateful for this community too.

Thank you for sharing this.

3. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was this segment on the news yesterday where a psychologist was saying that we need to think on what we have and not what we want. That will make us more positive and happy.

LostInDaydreams and azzi like this.
  4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That daily meditation, focusing on the good in your life is great for countering the negative we get bombarded with daily. not to say that one balances or negates the other but being mindful that both exist in our lives in the present is how we achieve ying and yang.

5. butterfly1

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Baristajedi- Good for you. So glad to see one can find some peace from within. No matter what goes on outside of a person, finding that "shelter" from within is good. Thank you for sharing this.