1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your extended family take it when you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    was your extended family accepting when you came out? Like aunt, uncles, cousins, and grandparents?

2. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty good. They were all pretty supportive of me with the exception of one cousin but even then he wasn't super negative (compared to other people who unfortunately must deal with people who had extremely negative reactions), he said he doesn't accept or support it but doesn't see me as less of a person when I came out and has proceeded to act like it didn't happen but in a family with 30+ people, one person reacting mildly negatively is alright, especially since everyone else has been supportive.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much the same. My grandparents, aunt, and uncle all know I'm trans now. We don't speak a lot, and they aren't yet regarding me as male or using my name (some of them use no name at all in our correspondence). But they are at least making a mild effort to keep in touch and express love how they can. While unsupportive now, I feel that they will come around in a few years.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not particularly close to my extended family, not estranged but they're just not a large part of my life. For that reason I really only encounter them at large family events which my husband always attends with me. They're good with it but to be honest I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that everyone adores my husband.

He's really much more likeable than I.:smile:

5. Purpleredhead78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of my family is cool. My Mom’s sister did say “So you’re choosing to be gay.”I stopped her and said no. I’m not choosing. Why would I chose to hear comments like that the rest of my life. My other family members were all cool. My parents and sister said okay and went about their day. I haven’t been to any support groups yet and haven’t dated mainly because I have social anxiety.

6. Ima Person

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family was pretty much entirely ok with it, some were a bit confused when i came out as bisexual as i'd previously come out as lesbian, but my family were very supportive, i don't have a very large family, so it was pretty easy to tell everyone. :slight_smile:

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    nope. not out to extended family. Though if I was, I at least know one cousin would be accepting. At my cousin's rehearsal dinner for his wedding. One of my other cousins that I was talking to noticed I was being very gesturing in an effeminate way, and proceeded to ask: "Do you have something you want to tell us? We're all accepting."

8. Loves books

I came out to one aunt. My uncle, her brother, is gay and his family is mostly excepting. I'm sure my dad disapproves of his brother since my dad has the same views as Donald trump. My dad thinks every Muslim is a terrorist and isn't thrilled a gay Indian is the Taoiseach of Ireland. The same aunt told me not to tell another aunt or my gay uncle because they would tell my dad. I can't come out to my mothers side of the family because one of them is a catholic priest and her sister married a man I'd who is homophobic to the point he turns off the tv when a gay couple is on screen.

9. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only my one aunt and her son(my cousin) know and they are fine with it. I’m not close with any of my extended family so I’ve never bothered saying anything, I also don’t care a bit what they would think.

The only reason my aunt knows is because my mom wanted to tell her, she asked me before saying anything and I told her it was fine.

10. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still haven't come out to most of my family yet. I've come out to my mom and my cousin and his family. They've been really accepting and treat me no different then they had before. I haven't come out to my dad since he's very homophobic and while I'm at university I'm still somewhat financially dependent on him.

Given the supportiveness I got from my mom and cousin's family, I'm fairly confident that the rest of my extended family won't have much issue with my being gay. My dad on the other hand; well it'll be a trip!

11. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not yet out to my extended family, but they are kind of what I am worried about. I have one aunt, who I am pretty sure is anti-LGBT, another one I think would be okay with me dating a guy as long as he's white. I think my cousins would be cool with it, as they are mostly progressive. One cousin of mine has another cousin who is trans.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One side is extremely narcissistic and the other side of the family are extreme Christians, so I'm not sure how coming out to them will go.

13. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my entire extended family and they were surprised but 100% supportive right from the beginning

14. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They were all cool with it, thankfully.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've only come out to two of my father's sisters: my favorite aunt and my least favorite aunt. The first one, has been there with sexuality and gender identity. I was scared as hell to tell her (first came out as gay). I expected her to want to end contact. She told me she'd always support me.

I told her sister because she was the only one out of three others, that she knew of, who I was told was supportive of LGBT. My reasoning was based on the fact I had already been talking to her. I felt it wrong not to tell her. To be honest, I wasn't comfortable telling her. She had zero problems with it but then she self-invited her self to my future wedding, which I would NEVER invite her to! She hasn't mentioned my sexuality since, thank Christ, because I don't feel like explaining.

16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just remembered: I once told my maternal grandmother, in broad daylight and on the front porch no less, I wanted to be a boy and a few minutes later in the car, confessed out of guilt that my former same sex bff and I kissed. O______________O I was a child when I said this. I'm beyond blessed no one heard me. I would've been absolutely mortified. Hell, it mortifies me that I even told her those things in the first place. She, unintentionally, I think, made me feel like shit, but really told me the reality that I was biologically female, it couldn't be changed, and dismissed the gay kissing with friend. I felt bad about that one too.

17. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never told them. Really, I am surprised they haven't figured it out.
    Honestly I feel no need to tell them. If they would ask, I wouldn't lie. But I see no need to bring it up.