1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age did you come out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This topic has been floating about my mind for a while, and being bored and in the house myself on a Friday afternoon, I thought I should talk about it on here.
    I was watching this below video. You may be familiar with TrentandLuke (fantastic YouTube couple), or have seen the video itself. It is great, you should watch it!

The 13 year old said he was openly gay. This got me quite intrigued as to the age of coming out. He had a boyfriend, so I am making the assumption that he came out around 12. I personally cannot see how a child of 12 or 13 can truly know their sexuality. I always knew that I was different from the other boys, and never really developed feelings for girls, but it wasn't until 15 until I started having feelings towards the same sex and recognized myself as gay about 7 months later.

So, I guess the question is in the title. What age did you come out? Do you agree with any of what I am saying? I just can't see how someone that has only just turned a teenager can know their sexuality, let alone be this open about it.
    Interested to hear your thoughts.

#1 Joe2001, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of people claim to know from a very young age. I think it has to do with much more exposure the concept that being gay is a thing because there are many 6-8th (and even some 5th graders) who date now. Not saying people really know from sure just that the seem pretty confident and act on it.

Personally only really came to understand after entering highschool, but I didn't even know gay people existed until highschool...
    Came out during the 1st quarter of junior year.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First failed coming out - 16
    Second failed coming out - 18

Then throughout 2017 (so I was 20) I came out to basically everybody but my family.

Honestly, at 13 everything was super confusing, but based on my wandering eyes and internet history it was obvious I liked guys. I think it really depends on the society you grow up in and the friends you have. Personally speaking, I feel like it has less to do with "13 being too young" and more so with knowing you'll be supported.

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose that the issue of exposure is true. He mentioned that he has some gay family members, so that may have put things into perspective for him. As for me, whilst I knew what being gay was, and being in favor of gay marriage, I know no gay people, and hadn't really studied the LGBT issue much until I came out to myself.

#4 Joe2001, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 26. Knew since I was maybe 15 that I was at least somewhere on the LGBT spectrum but it took another 10 years for me to stop fighting it

6. bruh

bruh Guest

7. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You all seem to have been a similar age to me when you came out/recognised your sexuality, so I am glad that 15/16 is a fairly regular age.

I still don't grasp how a 12/13 year old can know their sexuality though and be so open about it.

8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out at 16

9. FragileVampire

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as bisexual at 16, came out for realsies as lesbian at 25.
    It took that long for me to fully accept myself.

10. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always knew I was gay but waited until I was out of my parents house and financially stable to come out, I was 19 years old.

@Joe2001 I just knew I liked other boys, plus I saw a playboy once and I didnt feel anything in my noodle :wink: I understood the concept of homosexuality I heard older boys talk about it they would say "that they heard that so-in-so was sucking so-in-so's ding-a-ling and they were faggots for doing it" I knew faggot was a bad word for gay.

#10 Jackie Ray, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I knew I was at least mostly gay since I was 13. So I spent quite a long time denying my true self and feelings.
    I had very little information on the subject as a kid since I didn’t have unmonitored access to the internet until I was 16.

I think now days with everyone having all the information at their fingertips that a kid could understand their sexuality at quite a young age.

13. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out as asexual when I was 15. I'm going to try to come out as transgender before I turn 18.

14. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out as bi this year. I'm 13 as well.

I definitely didn't know my whole life but I sort of had an inkling in my mind that I could be attracted to girls as well. I have a lot of gay people in my family and I live in a very accepting community so it was never something I thought wasn't possible. My whole life I've noticed girls in a way that straight girls wouldn't notice them. I have also always been very openly, pro-gay rights, trans rights etc.

I've also always imagined the possibility of being with a girl. Then, for the past year and a half, I have been thinking about the possibility of being bi.

Yet, as accepting and open community I'm in, I never really knew what bisexuality was till I started questioning my own sexuality. About a year and a half ago, I had my first female crush. This began to open up the mental debate of who I was.

When I had my second female crush, I really wondered if I was bi or not. I was constantly thinking about it. I wondered if I was just sexually attracted to girls or if I genuinely liked them. This all was around the time where I discovered and joined Empty Closets.

One day, in class, I was thinking about it. Coincidentally, we were seated next to each other in that class. Then all of a sudden, it all clicked and I was like, "I'm bi." It was like finally finding the last piece to a puzzle.

Now, I'm not openly bi, however, a bunch of my close friends know.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought you might want some insight into this from a kid that age!

15. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great to hear from someone your age!
    Some people have crushes from earlier ages. I sorta liked guys for a while, but I wouldn't say that it was necessarily sexual attraction until 15, and formally recognised my homosexuality soon after. Recognizing being gay for me was also the last piece to a puzzle, and pretty much explained me.

I just simply didn't understand how the boy could have been so sure and open about his sexuality so young, but I appreciate your insight.

16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I realized I wasn't straight when I was 14 but decided to repress it until I was 17 when I truly realized I was gay and didn't want to hide it for my life. later on, about 2 months before my 18th birthday, I decided to come out to my friends and family. I first came out to my best friend around the beginning of September and then came out to my Mom and, subsequently, the rest of my family around mid-september.

#16 kibou97, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  17. Noahand2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was middle school (14) where I found out and I was deep in the closet all throughout high school, and it was my first year at college (18)I came out to my best friend around 3am in her drive way. XD

18. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    9. To my grandma and unfortunately it went well and my mother didnt take kindly and still doesnt.

19. MBM4K54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've only just come out as bisexual and I'm 54yo. I had my first consensual sex with a man at 17 but wasn't strong enough mentally to face myself.

20. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 25.
    First to friends, then sister, then parents.
    Now, basically back in the closet (my mom is the reason) and not out at work either.