1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxious attachment in beginning of dating: calming strategies

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cory675, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all! Happy New Year :slight_smile:

I know I have an anxious attachment style, and I've been dating a guy for a few weeks now. It's been a long time since I really had feelings for someone, and since then, I have built up a satisfying life for myself, and I have goals that I am excited about etc. But I still feel anxiety about the guy I am dating. I've been away for a week on Christmas vacation, and I am hypersensitive to the smallest change I notice in his enthusiasm when he texts me. For some reason, I fear that he's one of those guys that comes on really strong and loses interest or gets scared and runs... although he was previously in a long-term relationship, so I don't think that fear is necessarily rational. I also haven't seen any red flags.
    I read a book on attachment styles and know that the best thing is to just be upfront about my need for reassurance, but I fear that it's far too early and that having this conversation at this stage would be too intense. I don't know what to do. I thought I had done a lot of work on all these issues: self esteem, choosing safe partners etc. I know that my anxieties are irrational, but I really fear that I will have let him get my hopes up enough to just be really dissappinted. How do I calm myself down? Rationalizing things in my head never seems to work.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s awesome that you have a life of your own right now, that’s where I’m trying to get to at the moment.

As for as anxiety and needs in a relationship, one of the things I’ve learned from my previous relationship is to be open and honest about your needs early on. It’s also important to talk about boundaries (what’s okay and not okay), and communicate early on about your goals, as well as his goals.

Deep breathing also helps. In general, with anything anxiety related, I do my best to tell myself that everything is happening inside my head; my mind is creating scenarios that may or may not be part of reality (and this is the part that messes me up the most, the “what if”). It’s kind of like a rough ride for a bit, but it goes away after.

I hope that helps. Also, for the book you read about attachment styles, what is it called and who is it by?

3. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks,

That's the ironic part about it all. I'm in university studying something that I am passionate about and will be doing my practicum abroad this summer. Then next year after I finish school, my goal is to move abroad for a few years. The guy I am dating told me he would like to live in Australia one day, so I think our life goals are certainly not incompatible. And I know that if it doesn't work out, I have an exciting life to go back to. I think I just get attached all the same. I think I had forgot what it felt like to give and receive affection and to be intimate with someone. I think I have a major craving for connection and affection. I forgot how good it feels, and regardless of everything exciting happening in my life, I think I would be pretty crushed if he ended it. I think I'm just having a hard time believing that a guy who has shown me a lot of interest will be consistent with that or become more interested. In the past, they've always lost interest once they saw the remote possibility of things getting serious or else their issues make them unable to continue. Although this guy hadn't always shown me the same level of interest in his texts while I've been gone, there aren't any red flags and he's already been in a serious relationship, so I don't see any objective reason to believe that he's the type to chase and then lose interest.

The book is called Attached: the science of adult attachment by Amir Levine and Rachel SF Heller.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can certainly tell you that on my end, a break up made me realize that I invested so much into the relationship that I ended losing my sense of identity or self. I became so anxious and I all my calming strategies seemed useless.

Talking about my problem helped, though. Also, typing out my thoughts (as opposed to continually thinking about it) helped me visualize what was going on inside my head. More often than not, it’s just my mind going places and not making a lot of sense. This may also benefit for you.

I do understand where you are coming from with connection and affection. I also love having a connection and affection with someone; deep, emotional connections are hand in hand with physical attraction. And if anything, a strong emotional connection is what permits healthy relationships to survive.

#4 Jax12, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
    Things are going pretty well. I stopped fretting about text messages once I realized that even if he's not super affectionate at one moment, he always texts me something affectionate later. I saw him last night, we watched a movie last night, though and I was super clingy. I really held him tight and was constantly giving him kisses on the cheek and on his neck. He didn't really respond so much, I think because he was lacking sleep and was super tired. This morning, I asked him if I was too much last night and made him feel smothered and he just told me that I worried too much. So I think the next time I see him, I'll have to tell him about my attachment style and my needs. I'm afraid that I will royally turn him off or that I will scare him away somehow. Any advice on how to phrase it so I don't come across as super needy and pathetic?

Jax12 likes this.
  6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it can be scary telling someone about your needs, I just went through that not too long ago. The worry tends to arise when you don’t know about something. Are there any signs that might lead you to think that he isn’t into you?

7. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. In actual fact, the signs would suggest that he IS into me. I just fear that once I tell him about my needs, that he'll be turned off :-/

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you don’t have to tell him about your needs right now, just keep things casual. Down the road, sure, but if this relationship is just starting off, I don’t think you need to mention it yet (in my opinion).

Are you guys just dating casually? There are certain things that you don’t need to mention till the relationship develops into something more.

9. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may be right. We've been dating a month, of which I was gone 2 weeks during the holidays though. So it hasn't been that long, even if we did continue texting a lot while I was gone.

Perhaps I could just check with him again to make sure that my being so cuddly didn't turn him off, just to ask for that reassurance. It would probably be a good time to articulate that the way I was the other night was a pretty genuine manifestation of who I am in intimacy and that I am someone who desires a lot of closeness.

Upon reflection, I think the only guys that that has turned off have been those who had fears of intimacy.

So perhaps I'm just feeling self-conscious about something that isn't really a flaw as long as I communicate my needs effectively.