1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older lesbians— ok, I don’t understand?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by signmypapyrus, Jan 9, 2018.

1. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted about talking to an older lesbian (late fifties) and how things evolved from flirty friendship to me asking her out. A few friends read our correspondence (we met over lunch in April) and said she definitely liked me and it was romantic.

So, I flew to NYC for a conference and we had a late lunch. She stated she wanted to pay, she took the initiative to do things for me (poured my water), etc. She was sexy, engaged, flirty, and then said she needed to go. I asked if I could ask her something. She got excited, intense. Our conversation had been intense.

Then I told her I was attracted to her and she *literally* ran away. She said she was flattered, but no, and ran. I was flabbergasted. Several friends said she was probably taken aback since, I know, older butches do the pursuing (I’m very femme).

I kind of don’t know what to do, how to read her, or how to soothe her. I’m under the impression I flustered her, but can I win her back??

Help!

2. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it might be best to wait and see what she does next. If it was simply being caught off guard then she'll contact you after she calms down. I'd also keep in mind that just because she's older doesn't mean she knows what she wants or what to do with it when it's in infront of her lol

Steph23 and Peterpangirl like this.
  3. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This must be so confusing to you.. The fact that you know she is a lesbian and how she was flirty indicates she likes you.
    She clearly stated she wasn't into it. So, give her space.
    Sometimes when friends go out they.don't split the bill. My friend and I did this a lot. We just alternated paying. Everyone is different though..
    I don't know her personality but maybe she felt things were moving too soon and she was not into having relationship yet.
    If you end up communicating, maybe tell her you like her as a person and would like to continue friendship (if you want to be friends). Let her know you got carried away and no need to worry.
    If you don't have strong feelings for her, being light and friendly shouldn't be difficult.

4. Ardee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Give her a bit of time. Maybe contact her in a while after she's had time to process things and see where she's at. Also, I think you are so very brave to have spoken honestly and openly. I wish I had your courage and confidence.

mnguy likes this.
  5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey so how long is it since you had lunch and she ran?

6. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We just went out to lunch about a week ago.

I think what threw me was I very clearly asked her out on a date. I also told her I’m interested in her and would like to get to know her better. She panicked the first time too and I spent some time smoothing things over.
    We have a few mutual friends and they both said she likes me, was thrown off by liking me, and is struggling. She’s had some bad experiences, plus we have a big age gap. She was also very vulnerable with me and told me some things which I could tell bothered her. I just supported her and was there.

I recognize the age gap, but I also feel like I’m handling this slight better (ie I didn’t run away). Granted I have my own reservations, but my friend who knows her said I shouldn’t have done what I did.

#6 signmypapyrus, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you spoken to her since?

What is it your friend said you shouldn't have done?

8. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sent her a very brief email thanking her. Also, the way I set the whole thing up, I said that she could say no to me. I stated that I wanted her to have agency. She become somewhat bewildered and said, “well I’m going to say no.” I then said I like her and like talking with her, she said thanks and she reciprocated, but then when I said I was attracted to her she said no and fled.
    My friend said I should have let her lead. So the woman asked me if I was going to stay or if I wanted to step outside (with her) and I was a bit thrown. I’m not good at flirting so I wasn’t sure if she was. I regret now not going outside.
    So then in the email I just said I wanted her to retain her agency, that I wasn’t pressuring her, and we would talk again.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Did she reply to the email?

I get that meeting people and initial contact can be difficult but this sounds more difficult than the norm. It sôunds like there are a lot of old scars at work here.

10. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, she hasn’t.

On her end? That’s what I was initially told and I’m worried I did something to hurt her or bring up old wounds. I’m trying to figure out how to care for her.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that is a special and great quality but and I don't want this to come across in a negative way you can't take responsibility for all her issues. Sure you can be respectful and try to help but she also has to help you and help herself.

Chip likes this.
  12. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with you, otherwise I think any type of relationship would be a hot mess.

My plan is to wait until the end of the month to contact her. I’m doing some soul searching on my end and I want to give her enough space to process everything. Does that sound fair? I also felt I should apologize for taking the reins and then allowing her to take control once again. I guess I’m trying to figure out how to go about this without delicately without hurting myself and removing all expectations.

13. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We tend to feel responsible for and try to fix the situation by understanding and accommodating someone's shortcomings. It is a fair deal when the other side reciprocates by accommodating and doing things for us and is proactive, regardless of setbacks. If they are struggling but still want you at accept them, they are the ones to apologize and explain themselves.
    That said, by being forward with her you did not take away her right to be proactive/in leading role.
    Therefore, I think apologizing would only lower yourslf - you were open, if she can't deal with it, you are better than this.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  14. Lipstick Leuger

It has nothing to do with age or Butch/femme in general it is her.

If you really have to change who you are to get someone, they are not worth it. I am 48 and my Butch is 50 and believe me, I chased her! I kissed her first and asked her to call me sometime and she did. I made the first move. Most butches actually are a little unsure if a femme likes them, so they usually hang back until you make your interest known. Sounds like to me that if you have to 'let her lead' she is insecure and not someone you want to spend your time on. If you start now with this, you will have to continue with her leading all through your relationship. I dated males who were like that, insecure and not happy because I wanted to lead in some things....I say you dodged a bullet, move on and find someone worth your time.

15. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I would never change myself. I come off really strong and assertive and she mentioned liking that about me. It’s why I was so open with her and have been since we started talking in April.

So, another weird facet to this: she’s somewhat well known in the queer community and has been hurt a lot. She plays it safe. I know this about her. It doesn’t negate her behavior, but it explains it.

The only reason I would apologize is I know that sometimes I come off too strong in situations where I need to listen. I don’t regret telling her, but she had been very frank and honest with me about something that is, quite honest, devastating.

I care very deeply about her and I’ve told her this. She reciprocates, but I also know she comes with a hell of a lot of baggage.

I do agree that this is her, although I do know older butches generally (used to) do the pursuing. I don’t agree with that thinking however.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think maybe it's worth giving her one last chance and seeing if you can find a common understanding where both parties are being accommodating. You of course know better than we do about what she has been through but at the same time just be wary that your feeling for her will cloud your judgement over what's acceptable or excusable. Keep us updated on how it goes.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur that the desire to take care of her is misplaced, as it is not your responsibility. She's a grown adult.

The combination of the age gap and her behavior would be a very clear red flag to me that this is not likely a healthy situation, and I would personally let it drop. Otherwise, if this is what you are seeing in a first date... I can pretty much guarantee there will be a ton more problems, likely more serious ones, if you continue.

18. Rana

Rana Guest

Ok, this was bizarre behavior on her part. We've all been hurt, and I can sympathize that she has been through bad stuff, but fleeing when you told her you're attracted to her? I don't think that's merely her past issues or the age gap, etc. It sounds like she thought the lunch was something else and was shocked at the talk of attraction. I know you said you made it clear regarding your intentions but maybe she didn't get it earlier?
    Honestly, if she felt the same for you, she wouldn't run away. Not letting her lead wouldn't result in her behaving this way...it's too drastic. She doesn't want what you want. It hurts but that's ok. The more you chase the more she will flee. I say let her go.
    You've emailed her and the ball is in her court. If she doesn't respond, or responds with another "no," then you have to respect that and move on, regardless of her reasons. You deserve better.

19. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @signmypapyrus i swear i would feel mixed up too! Especially after going out on a limb telling her how you felt. It's sweet that you care so much.
    I would not apologise or even contact her.
    I feel the next move is hers. Besides if she prefers to take the lead and you are comfortable with that then contacting her won't resolve it and could make it worse. Although it really sounds like she is not in the right head space for a relationship at the moment.

20. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really appreciate the advice and I definitely hear all of you.

At this point I’m not in contact with her because I don’t want my feelings to cloud my judgment (I definitely agree with that assessment). I did ask her out and did tell her I’m interested in her, which I think alarms me.
    My friend’s assessment, who knows her, is that she’s not willing to accept or can’t accept love from someone. Shrug.
    It sucks. I don’t like being in situations like this since this isn’t the first, and I assumed (based off her work) she is a bit more self aware.
    I don’t mind giving her one more chance, and I also want to retain the friendship, but more importantly I want to take care of myself too.

Lipstick Leuger likes this.