1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter backfired.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Canterpiece, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, last year in the Summer I came out to my parents. My mum was fine with it, and said she suspected it for quite some time anyway.

However, lately she's been making comments as if I were into the opposite sex. Things such as "Ooh, I bet your male friend has a crush in you! How exciting!".

I think I messed up a bit, since in my coming out letter I mentioned how I used to pretend to be interested in male celebrities in order to fit in with my friends, and she brought this up and added " You know, I was never into boy bands either".

So I think she has the wrong idea partially.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand your frustration, try not to think about it that your letter has backfired just that they perhaps need a little reminder or clarification. Would you consider writing another letter or perhaps having a chat with them?

Wesley007 likes this.
  3. Ima Person

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your situation sounds a bit of an awkward one to be dealing with, the important thing is to remain positive about other aspects of your life, I get that these situations can put people's mood down a bit. I think at everyone has had their parents make some remark or comment about our own relationships with people and about our dating life, it's really weird, annoying and of putting.
    Is it starting to affect your mood at all the things your mum is saying?
    Also, how is the relationship that you have with your friend? As sometimes parents can mix up feelings of friendship, and just generally getting on well with another person as a sign that your both deeply in love with each other, that's never a nice thing to have to hear from your parents. With that, is there any part of you that's actually attracted to your friend? And is the fact your mum making comments to you about your friend liking you making you question yourself/your orientation at all?

If you need to get things out to help you cope at all, there are many people you can talk to, even if it's just speaking to yourself about it, actually speaking to yourself about the situation in hand can help you relax a bit.

#3 Ima Person, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Wesley007 likes this.
  4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. :unamused:

Nah. :slight_smile:

We are close, which is understandable because we have been friends for several years and have classes together, plus we share plenty of interests. No, there's no attraction between us.

Common misconception though, because we both have similar personalities to the point where I joke that I'm his second conscious. :grin:

This tends to happen a lot to me (people assuming that whatever male friend I'm with is my boyfriend) because I have quite a few close friendships with men, and sometimes this can be funny since this has happened to me when I've been hanging out with gay men.

His dad would be horrified, he's homophobic and his son (my friend) hangs out with a lesbian (me) and a gay guy (another one of my friends) lol. :grin: One day his dad and uncle told him not to associate with gay people, but clearly he hasn't listened to that bit of advice.

#4 Canterpiece, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Wesley007 likes this.
  5. AmberRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe she is still in the acceptance process too. It doesn't sound like a true backfire just she is still working what that means for her future as your mother (such a what type of home life she would be a part of when you start creating deep lasting romantic relationships. *daughter in law*) She may also be gauging what you like or do not like.

Plus the "So exciting!" part couldn't that be she be interested to see how you handle that situation of telling the guy your sexual orientation if he does try to make it more. Could it be exciting in the "social experiment/reality tv" type way? Not saying that is bad. (Haven't we all been on the bleacher/side line with a bag of popcorn watching our friends to see how they may handle a situation. lol )

Maybe she is also trying to relate to you by saying "I was never into boy bands too."

I don't think what she is doing is in any way showing a miscommunication or her trying to get you to try dating guys base on what you shared.

#5 AmberRose, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Ima Person

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you 2 are really good friends, friendships where you both bet on from a deeper level are always entertaining, all you have to do is just not let anyone ruin your friendship with him due to outside comments.
    :grinning:

Yeah, I used to get this, it's quite annoying, but can sometimes be funny like what you said about them being gay. :joy:

Ugh, that's annoying, at least your friend has enough spine not to listen to them though, do you let the fact his dad doesn't like homosexuals effect your ability to hang out?

Wesley007 likes this.
  7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, his parents are divorced, and he usually stays with his mum (who likes me, and knows that I'm gay but doesn't mind). However, if we're talking online and he's with his dad, then he tends to just say he's talking to a guy because it means less questions. But yeah, we are still able to hang out fine.

#7 Canterpiece, Jan 9, 2018
  8. Ima Person

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, the old acceptance from the mother, that's how you know she got no problem with you spontaneously popping over :joy:

It's a good thing you 2 can still hang out, you shouldn't let other people's opinions affect your ability to be friends and have a good time, at least you know he's not afraid of his dad interrupting the 2 of you hanging out. You both sound like good friends though, and that's great, especially since you said that you've only known each other for a while, I've always admired those relationships you get with people were you both just instantly click when you start talking. :slight_smile:

Canterpiece likes this.