1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L word

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Brooksby, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Brooksby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m gay and I have had a pretty homophobic upbringing. Recently my friend (also gay) tried to use the L word to describe me. I am struggling with that term so much, the D slur sounds better and less gross to me. I know it’s a negative association I have with it.

Any advice for getting more comfortable with it and being gay in general? I don’t want to view it as a bad thing.

2. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm assuming you're referring to the words "lesbian" and "dyke"? For me, it just took time and a lot of soul searching. There were times I was good with it, there were times I hated myself for it. Honestly, right now is one of the times that I'm hating everything about myself. If you don't want to, you don't have to put a label on yourself. You've got to figure out what makes you comfortable.
    If a word has always had a negative connotation as a child, its likely that it will always make you uncomfortable. Therefore, you may need either "desensitize" yourself or find another term that you are comfortable with, or decide not to label yourself.
    It may be a good idea to see a therapist if that's an option for you.

3. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember the old saying - “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. It’s as true today as it always was. I’m lesbian. I don’t have any problems being described as that but I took a long time to discover that. How do you describe yourself in relation to your sexuality (if you do)? Start with that and talk to your closest friends. Ask how they see you. You may find that they are far more comfortable with the L word than you are. That might help you.

4. lil miss hikes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally am with you I don't like being called a lesbian. Id much rather be referred to as gay, or I'll say I'm gay. I'm not A anything, if anyone can understand that. Being called A lesbian just sounds so foreign , like your already being put in a certain box , when really being attracted to the same sex is only part of who I am.

5. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought you were talking about the TV show. Did you hear about the reboot?

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think negative association with the word lesbian is actually much more common than you would think. I think the more comfortable you become in your own skin the less it will bother you. I would probably use the word gay to describe myself but if someone used lesbian I wouldn't be offended.