1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum won't let me change my name. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DragonsInSpace, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my mum yesterday and ag first she didn't quite grasp the concept of nonbinary genders but she came round eventually and said she'd use my pronouns etc. However, she said she would prefer for me to keep my birthname because she chose it and likes it.

I don't know for certain that I will change my name but I've been considering it a lot and found a name I'm more comfy with. How might I get her to allow me to change my name? I'm an adult so I could do it myself but I feel like she deserves a say in it since she's the only family member who supports my queerness.

#1 DragonsInSpace, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Put the name she chose as a middle name?

DragonsInSpace likes this.
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say that you may be able to compromise by using it as a middle name. My birth name was Ashley, but I changed my name to Bradley. I changed my middle name to Ashton. My dad was attached to Ashley as a name, so I was able to compromise with keeping it, but making it more masculine.

4. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you want to keep the name she gave you in any way? While it's good that she is supportive, the fact she chose your name shouldn't hold you back. You had no say in your name and just because she likes something it isn't a reason for you do it - now you are choosing a name for yourself that represents your identity. So while keeping it as a middle can be a good compromise, do that only if you want to. Don't let the tyranny of parenthood dictate your name.

5. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could you let her to choose a new name for you? Or be included in that process? It seems like it's important for both of you. Could the new one resemble the old one?

I thought about that but my mom would have named me as something like "Candleturtle", "Greenpants" or "Beanpot". She really didn't get what I needed and got too exited about the second round of naming your child...

I changed my name twice because I couldn't handle my old feminine name and then because it came legal for me to have an actual male name and I couldn't handle my gender neutral name anymore. I wanted a different final name but the neutral one was really stuck and people got mad at me when I thought about changing it although I made clear that the neutral name was ok as a nickname. Finally I made a compromise. People rarely pick their names themselves anyway. I chose something that really resembles my neutral one so it's natural to use it as a nickname.

I couldn't pick the neutral one either really. It was the only one that was quite common but is more often male name. The other reason I did not want to keep it was because of so many other transmen choose the same name for the exact same reason. I felt like a marked man. Yeah, I just think that not many choose their name themselves anyway. It is like fate. Nomes est omen.

I think that it would have been on honor to be named by my parents for the second time. It would show a great deal of respect and acceptance from both sides.

6. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did ask her about choosing a new name for me (among other things) in a follow-up text but she didnt say anything about it, so I'm not sure if she's on board with that or not. I'll have to try bringing it up again.

7. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's kinda where I'm stuck too. I think I would be fine with using it as a middle name since people don't need to know it. But I get what you're saying. I do like my birthname, just not as a name to use all the time for myself so making it a middle name might work well.

8. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So it's not a certain "no" yet. :slight_smile:

9. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hah I guess so! She had said she'd "prefer" to keep my birthname which I guess isn't a strict no either but I kina felt that way. But like you say, she never said no to choosing a name!

#9 DragonsInSpace, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you like your birth name then incorporate it. Obviously, your situation and circumstances are your own but I was just saying that keeping just because she wants you to keep is not something you should have to do. From the sounds of it you like your birth name so retain.

I only say it again because it might be major marker in your personal narrative (depending on how important you see your name being) so you want to do what makes you happy.

11. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I get what you mean. Ultimately it's my choice after all

12. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely. And as you know you can change your name whenever you want to (from a legal perspective that is).

Hope you reach a decision you are happy with :slight_smile: