1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing orientation on social media

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sabrinaa, Jan 3, 2018.

1. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was not really planning to come out officially, It makes me uncomfortable. I am like half out. I hang out with LGBT people and work with them and then there is a group of people closer to me who don't know. If someone asks me directly I will tell them, but otherwise I don't say anything. I'm even too afraid to correct people when they ask if I'm seeing any boys. I just say "no". I feel like a lie, I'm not proud of my silence. But I just don't want to correct someone out of the blue and tell them I am not interested in boys when they have been my fried for a while.

I don't care who knows, but I don't want to confront it. I don't want to say it, I don't want to knowledge it. I know, I know I still have some issues to work out because that is not right.

My question is what do you think if I just changed my status to "interested in women" on social media? That way I don't have to say anything and anyone who is curious can find out for themselves.

2. Scott219

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still haven't. I have a daughter with a FB page that's only 13.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's fine to just mention your sexuality when it comes up, rather than announcing it people. Take the approach that's right for you.

I'm assuming that you're thinking of changing your status without it coming up on your friends news feeds, i.e. they'd have to go looking to find it. I think that it would be a step forward because it's putting the information out there. With time, it may help you feel more comfortable about telling people in person. But, for myself, I don't really go looking at the personal information my friends have on their accounts because I know them. I just use it for messaging them, so I don't know how many of your friends would see the update. Depends on the format of the website, how your friends use the website, etc. so you'll know better whether that would be the case or not.

Let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

#3 LostInDaydreams, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018