1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before, did friends/family/etc...try setting you up with the wrong people?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by kayteaugh, Jan 2, 2018.

1. kayteaugh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, not sure how to properly ask this question without explaining it and not sure if it's in the right thread (not sure where to place it?). Anyhow, my question is before you came out or before you realized did you have acquaintances/friends/family try setting you up with the opposite sex? How did that go? I constantly struggled with acquaintances trying to set me up with guys and it was so frustrating because I wasn't and still am not into guys (but at the time I wasn't comfortable sharing that). Sometimes I would have friends say, "Oh you'll find the right man for you..." and I would hate that because I didn't want a man. I know I also come off as "straight" or "too feminine" and it's the most irritating thing because both sexes just assume I'm straight. Anyway, it just seemed bizarre that I needed someone in other people's eyes to be happy? Anyway, how did you handle it?

2. ReadyFreddy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting topic. I have had people regularly try to set me up with wonderful women over the years. Since I knew in junior high school that I was gay and only want friendships with women, this has created some awkward situations. I have not been ready to come out, so it has been challenging to find plausible excuses to not pursue the opportunities. I have feigned sickness, said I was too busy or come up with whatever other reason I could to avoid dates with these women. If someone has been persistent about me dating an individual, I have usually gone on a first date and been very polite, but not followed up for possible future dates. I assume people think of me as straight and attribute my reluctance to date women to shyness or being too picky. I plan to finally come out sometime this year. Happy New Year and good luck on your journey kayteaugh.

kayteaugh likes this.
  3. kayteaugh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your response :blush: It's interesting how some people assume someone's sexual orientation. In all the times, it's happened to me it was with acquaintances, people I barely knew. It made all the situations very uncomfortable. As my friends have never done such a thing but it's just interesting to think of how others see you.

Congratulations and Happy New Year to you too!! Good luck on your journey as well :clap: I wish you nothing but the best :hearts:

4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not had anyone try to set me up, but I've some friends and family regularly ask if I had a boyfriend yet. One friend in particular comes to mind, every time we met or caught up via text, it'd be the first question she asked. Not how college or university were going, but whether or not I had a boyfriend. It was one of the reasons why we drifted apart as friends. I could never understand it. I suppose some people are just nosy or are more interested in relationships/gossip in general. Also, some people seem to have a greater need to be in a relationship, which they might be projecting on to everyone, or it could be that they've found happiness in a relationship and want that happiness for you.

5. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not often, but yes family and family-friends have tried setting me up. Most of the time it was just comments or suggestions, which I politely listen with a smile, maybe investigated the guy, but nothing ever came of them. There was one time a family member got really meddlesome. Literally pushed me into social situations to talk with a guy she deemed a match. I eventually sat her down and told her how that made me feel. While I did my best to acknowledge her good intentions, I let her know I didn't enjoy it and felt my agency taken. Moreover it was counter productive to me liking someone. I was just getting angry. I also asked her point blank to not do it again. She's respected me since and I've had no one else try to set me up for years. I did try to befriend the guy which didn't work out. Wasn't really the type of person I would befriend.

I didn't even know I was bi back then and since I'm mostly into girls it's probably a factor why most set ups won't work. I do want a relationship... but I'm a bit shy, I am a friendship first kind of person, and don't like set ups regardless of gender. I can get along with most but a deeper connection is harder to find. I don't believe others can find that for me. My parents were also very anti set ups and don't meddle in my love life. To me match making is out of the ordinary and imposses on personal liberty.

Set ups can be a pain and unwanted regardless of your sexual orientation. If set ups aren't your thing, you can tell people so.

6. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, happens to me ALL THE TIME. Because I'm very girly myself so whoever doesn't know me assumes I'm straight and immediately offers to introduce me to someone when they find out I'm single.

I don't know why people think they have a right to assume that I'm looking for a man to date...but even strangers are all up in my business sometimes.

It used to bother me A LOT when I had just come out. Now I just laugh it off and if it's someone I don't really know, I'll say "sure". That usually gets them to chill out and honestly, they RARELY follow through with the actual setup. And if they actually try to, a simple, nice rejection text to the matchmaker does the trick. But I promise, people really don't follow through on their setup plans lol.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh God. My mother's one really significant matchmaking attempt was when she convinced me to ask my kid sister's English teacher out. She was very nice girl and I actually liked her, but she had some major depression issues, and looking back, I suppose it's quite possible she was a closet lesbian, as was my girlfriend of 3 years in high school/college (that one definitely). It didn't last long due to her depression (she broke things off), and my middle-school-age sister kept growling, "Great, now I know I'll either get an A or an F, and it all depends on YOU!" We broke up after a few weeks but got together about a year later. She was (I think) on meds for the depression, but for whatever reason, I no longer had any interest in her whatsoever. I do wonder what became of her, though!