1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump now banning words

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Dec 16, 2017.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    On the night of October 6, 1998 twenty one year old Mathew Shepard was abducted by three men and tortured for hours. He was so badly beaten that his face was completely covered in blood except the parts that were cleansed by his tears. President Obama worked with Congress to pass the Mathew Shepard Hate Crimes Act in 2009 which expanded hate crimes to cover gender, gender identity and sexual orientation. The Bill also gave local government more power to investigate and prosecute hate crimes.

[​IMG]

Apart from that President Obama:

2.. Ended ¨Don't ask don't tell¨ 2010 allowing gay, lesbian and bisexual people to serve openly in the military.

3. Appointed more openly LGBT persons than any other president. Openly gay ambassadors include Ted Osius, Rufus Gifford, John Berry, Daniel Baer, James Costos and Wally Brewster.

4. First president to appoint trans people to his administration.

5. Appointed the first Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons.

6. Supported legislation banning the use of conversion therapy against minors.

7. Named Stonewall a national monument - first national monument honouring LGBT in history.

8. Signed federal hate crime law.

9. Lobbied foreign countries to repeal anti LGBT laws. He was in my country.

10. Expanded protections to LGBT people in healthcare through the Affordable Care Act. March 2010 - insurers can no longer turn someone away just because he or she is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

11. Called for repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) February 2011 - Took position that DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) was unconstitutional therefore paving the way for marriage equality on June 26, 2015.

12. Directives to protect transgender students.

13. Named the first openly gay head of Army.

14. Funded the ¨It Gets Better¨ project.

15. July 2014 - signed Executive Order prohibiting federal contractors from discriminating against any employee or applicant based upon ¨race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.¨

16. Gave trans individuals right to use public restroom corresponding to their gender identity.

Don't alienate people who work to protect you because one day they will leave you and you will have no one left to defend you.

#41 KyleD, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. Elliot Kim

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Banning words violates the first amendment. Trump seems to be really hating transgender people. Trump banning transgender soldiers and now this has gone too far.

3. Elliot Kim

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say that Trump is totally the opposite of Obama.

4. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not entirely true. Something that many people forget is that the first amendment does not actually provide real free speech, nor was it ever intended to do so. All it really says is that the government itself as an entity cannot forcibly prevent a private citizen from saying something.

Loopholes:

1. They must allow the citizen to say what they want, however it does not mean the citizen cannot be punished for what they said (hence, yelling "fire!" in a crowded place can get you arrested if it wasn't true, even though it was free speech).

2. It does not apply to non-government entities whatsoever in any way. A private company can prevent your free speech whenever they feel like it, hence gag orders and people being fired and sued for leaking company secrets (The NFL could have legally forcibly silenced all the kneeling football players whenever they felt like it since they are a private company).

3. It does not apply internally to the government, because they are public employees, not private citizens. Hence why the military can have extremely strict restrictions on what can and can't be said, such as throwing someone in jail for disrespecting a higher ranking soldier.

Since it does not apply internally to the government, Trump is 100% allowed to ban whatever words he wants from official government documents, written by government workers or contractors.

#44 Niagara, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Cert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Jackie Ray Where do you live? Jesus, I live in South Dakota and I've never seen this kind of treatment.

6. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I havent been treated poorly, but I see the potential for lots of violence to happen. There is so much tension under the surface and I can see that everyone of our victories is a loss for them. We are on their turf now and they are getting desperate, we've taken away straights only marriage and we are in their military, which has traditionally been a bastion of hetero-masculine culture. They're are losing control of all of their social and cultural institutions. I really fear that one day some of these nut jobs are going to come and take us out, by bombing a gay club or by lynching a gay person.

When I was at my parents house in my old town last month, I heard two guys saying basically, "We need to grab some of these faggots and give them those sex changes they want so bad, maybe kill a faggot a day until they settle down" Im sure it was all talk but its still scary, that was on the East Coast. I feel like if we dont throw the straights a bone every now and again they will go nuts and sic their dogs on us. I live in Western Nebraska but I feel mostly safe in my town most people like me, but it only takes one maniac, so I worry. Im just surprised that nobody here shares my fears, its gotten to the point that whenever I see LGBT stuff on the news I get anxiety and think "oh no what did we do now" and the media fans the flames.

#46 Jackie Ray, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I begin, I just want to say, a lot of this is sarcastic and I am most definitely not pro-Trump. However, if you are, I respect your opinions.

In all honesty, this goes to show Trumps values. There is no reason why these words should be banned.

For one, what's wrong with the word fetus? It's a scientific term used to describe the unborn kin of a species. Is he scared someone is going to use it to promote abortion in a bill or something?

Second, transgender people need to be recognized everywhere. In the government especially because that is where decisions are made. They determine our future.

Now, diversity. Of course, he banned diversity. Because obviously all Mexicans are serial killers drug dealers and rapists and all North Koreans are nuclear scientists ready to kill us. The only "real" people in this world are Christian white men because welcome to America!

(This is all sarcasm, by the way, I don't want anyone to be offended).

Global warming theories are science-based so why not just pretend it doesn't exist as well.

He's vulnerable but doesn't want anyone to see that so that is no longer in the government's vocabulary.

Trump lives off of entitlement. Since he is a (sadly) successful, white, non-minority, male, Trump believes he has a right to everything. He believes he is entitled to the right of banning these words. However, "entitled" has a negative connotation and it would be such a shame to see poor Trumps feeling hurt. (sarcasm once again).

Everything against Trump is evidence-based so why not ban that too.

8. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok I love you. You mentioned my hero. Lol.

9. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can he even ban words like that?

10. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All people use every tool they can get away with to manipulate other people. Democrat, Republican, or otherwise. Even your relatives, lovers, work, churches, doctors, the restaurant you eat at and the supermarket. Our world is full of psychological manipulation but you only see it when the person on the other side isn't clever enough to hide it.

#50 Humbly Me, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2018
  11. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We have had bad times in our countries history before, this is another bump that can be repaired in the future. All you young people, stand up have a voice! If you are in your teens now, soon you will be able to vote, make sure there is a change in our leadership in the future! Help bring our country back to a time when two opposing views can sit at a table and work a solution that will benefit our country.

Study our history, learn from our mistakes try not to repeat them. Maybe one voice will not be heard, but many cannot be ignored!

Dean

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jackie Ray, I wonder why you say that human rights need to be dealt with on a later date, when you mention things like this

You also mentioned your fear of LGBT people getting lynched, which is exactly what led to the Civil Rights act of 1964. It is because of things like this that we speak up, that we do pride parades, and we ask for political involvement. Because without it, we have no way of justice.

My thoughts used to be like yours. You can scour the forum for them. I have learned, however, over the years, that if we stay silent, then the people who want to lynch us will, because they think they're entitled to do so, and they can. It's how the Nazis came to power. It's how any political party comes to power, and we all know how much of a disaster it is when a hate group gets that kind of platform.

And this brings us back to Trump banning these terms. By doing so, he's trying to silence us. He's not doing a very good job of it, but it still clearly shows his character. Many people are afraid that he will pass a law in which he actually has the power to ban certain speech. This only tells us that if that's the case, then we're the first. If we stay silent, then he's already won, and those who follow him (yes, neo-nazis do follow him) will do as they please.

13. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Ryuichi I feel like the changes are coming so fast, too fast for me to keep up. If I as a gay man feel overwhelmed by the "gayness" then surely the straight folks must feel like everything they know is coming undone, like theyre drowning. I never imagined as a child it would be like this for us, I guess it seems too good and I feel like its going to come crashing down around us.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Jackie Ray That's what progress in action looks like, my friend. Your straight friends might feel like they're drowning now, but rest assured, they'll be fine by the time it's all over. Things aren't going to come crashing down just because LGBT people get more involvement. This world was built by people of all walks of life, and we learn about that seemingly every day. It'd be kind of ridiculous to think it'd be any different 20-40 years from now.

If you personally don't think you can keep up in order to stay active, then that's fine. As said, that's a personal decision. But do know that our goal here is to give you the same opportunity and life expectancy that your straight friends have, and we'll do everything for that. You deserve the same kind of life because you're a living being on this planet.

#54 Jinkies, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018