1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ-related New Years resolutions?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rana, Dec 27, 2017.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting your arms your feelings is a good first step, so attending Gamma and posting here on EC are good resources to form the basis of your support group. You might also want to find an LGBT therapist - or one who has LGBT experience - to help you as well.

Since going to gay bars didn't work out for you - do you have ideas for what might be better outlets for your sexual expression (though it might be too early to know)?

Do you feel any internal resistance towards going to the Jan 10 meeting or have you committed yourself to following through?

Good luck and stay in touch.

#41 SiennaFire, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Roydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I like going to the gay bars . Still pop in once in a while for a drink before I go home from work . Just really like the idea that I am there . It's just awkward hanging there by yourself. Would be better if I had a circle of gay friends to go with.
    I am committed to going to the Gamma meeting. I really feel motivated lately. I am determined to take some steps foward.
    I would like to see a therapist at some point but I am a little scared that it will be a waste of time unless I am ready to face the possibility of coming out completely.

3. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like many before, I'd like 2018 to be a more positive year. I do think I have made positive steps in 2017.

I am separating from my wife and rented a place 5 minutes away from my kids. I have changed therapists a few times and now am seeing an LGBT therapist. I have told a good friend what I am going through. I have attempted to go to a GAMMA meeting and a Bi meet-up.

I still haven't fully accepted where I am and who I am, but I am getting better. I am still hooking up with my female co-worker, but she is aware of the feelings I have and I am trying not to lead her on.

I would also like to make some friends with people in the LGBT community, and feel like that would be easier for me than hooking up with a guy (which I'm still really uncomfortable with)....

I generally lack patience and this has been a lot to handle and unravel. I'm trying my best, and I wish everyone else going through this peace in their process.

Rana and Woodswoman like this.
  4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found that gay meetups and support groups are great ways to create a circle of gay friends in real life. You may need to try a few different ones until you find a mix that clicks for you.

That's great to hear. Since you are comfortable going to gay bars, going to a support group should be easy for you.

A good therapist would help you feel more comfortable with your sexuality by helping you understand the shame and internalized homophobia that caused you to be in denial/in the closet, which would benefit you even if you decide not to come out completely. If you are unsure, perhaps you could ask the Gamma support group about their experiences with therapists in your local area.

#44 SiennaFire, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    ReadyFreddy likes this.
  5. Roydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, so very much ! I appreciate the advice and feedback. It feels good to have the support of others. :blush:

6. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a tad late to this (coudn't find the thread last night) but here's my LGBTQ-related resolutions:

- Come out to the rest of my family
    - Start expressing my true gender more openly, starting with subtle stuff and bringing it full-on (if possible) by the end of the year
    - Make new friends, especially in the LGBTQ community, whether its IRL or online

I got more, but they're more general resolutions. Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Rana and LostInDaydreams like this.
  7. ReadyFreddy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My resolution is to come out to others in 2018. While I realized I was definitely gay when I was 13, I have spent a long time denying reality.

In the past year, I have finally become comfortable with my sexual orientation and come out to myself. I realize that it will not be easy, but I would really like to be open about it with others.

Happy New Year to all and good luck on your journeys.

Rana and LostInDaydreams like this.
  8. Rana

Rana Guest

That's awesome, I'm glad to help. Feel free to vent whenever you need to. ♥

mytrueme likes this.
  9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wary of making resolutions. I have a horrible track record of not sticking to them. And then sometimes casually achieving them a year later anyway.

But... I do have some gay plans that are realistic and achievable, and will go a tad further than I have went before.

- Gather my courage and go to a gay bar. Enlist help of boyfriend or best friend if I fail by myself. If I dare not go in Belgium, I might go while I'm in Chicago or NYC instead (the farther from home, the less intimidating). No high expectations. Just drinks and seeing proof there are indeed other gays in the village.

- Attend pride. I've been out for nearly ten years now, so it's damn time. Again, no big goals once I'm there. Just standing by the sidelines for ten minutes is already a first. My boyfriend is attending Seattle Pride, so I might join him there.

- Being the +1 at a family wedding my boyfriend is attending. We've been official for years now, but I look forward to being official in a formal venue ;-)

- See if I can make one or two more LGBT friends. Or even just casual acquaintances. The closest gay friend I have lives in NYC, and it really would be nice to have someone in the same timezone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All are manageable. The third one is already planned. We'll see how I do on the other three!

10. Keon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New years resoultions
    1. come out to peers( school)
    2. try to find an ok partner( not priority)
    3. try not to fail exams