1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my relationship is real issue...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Dec 29, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking earlier about some of things I'd be giving up if my partner and I do separate, particularly the financial security and lifestyle we have together. Whilst it worried me once, I now don't think it's worth being this miserable, this often just to be able to easily afford nice day trips, etc. Whilst it's only a small part of all the things that I've considered, I don't know why I ever thought it was a valid reason to stay in my relationship. To be clear, I think considering the practicalities is important. I'm referring to being able to afford luxuries, not basics.

I'm also referring to my relationship in particular. I was thinking about why I feel this way. What is it about my current situation that makes me so miserable? To be honest, it's my partner and our completely non-existent relationship. We just live together. We don't really have an relationship. Whilst I've been on EC, I've been told quite a few times that my relationship is real issue that I need to be dealing with, not my sexuality. To be honest, I didn't really like hearing that because: (1) It felt like such a big deal and I really, really wanted to work out whether I was gay, bi or straight; (2) It was easier to get lost in happy fantasies, than face and deal with my current reality; and (3) I didn't feel able to discuss my feelings with my partner and make the necessary changes.

I think that I've been focusing on the wrong thing. I've spent the last two/three years using fantasies about women as a form of escape, questioning my sexuality and trying to make some sense out of it. I've been so caught up in wondering how I going to tell him and how this is going to impact all of us, that I've just put up with his behaviour. It's made me miserable, but I've not challenged it or anything. I just didn't think there was another option. And I was too caught up in questioning to really think about anything else. I need to be working on my self-esteem and my relationship. I should have been focusing on those things years ago.

I just want to be happy. And that isn't here and it's not going to be here. I need to deal with here first and then focus on finding out what happy might look like.

#1 LostInDaydreams, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg you sound like a new woman! What do you think triggered this transformation in your mindset? Can you bottle it up and sell it? Haha

Congrats to you!! It sounds like you are doing the right thing by confronting your current relationship first, then you can work on next steps. Seems like a voice in the back of your mind has finally admitted that not only can you have a happy future, but that it's worth the undoubtedly bumpy road to get there.
    Keep us updated!

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Woodswoman Haha...thanks. :slight_smile: I don't know what triggered it. Just the thought process in my OP, I guess. It just occurred to me that I've spent so long focused on 'If I'm gay then I'll have to leave, tell everyone, etc.', that I've effectively ignored the fact that my relationship needs serious action regardless and during that time it's gotten worse. Better later than never! :slight_smile:

Woodswoman likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It does seem like an important realization and I'm really happy for you. But please don't be too harsh on yourself. The questioning is not just an escape, it was and is a valid and important part of the process that got you to where you are now. You needed to do exactly what you did.

My situation is a little similar. I have been in a non-relationship for years. We decided to divorce some four years ago but we haven't yet and still live together for various reasons... financial, our daughter, neither of us has anywhere better to go... maybe it comes down to fear of the unknown. My biggest stumbling block is finding work and being economicaly independent. I seem to remember from your other posts you've managed to do that. I admire that you're working towards your freedom in that way... I've been in therapy for three years. Came into it asking - why did I end up with a man who basically can't stand me and me him. The gay questioning only started a year ago. My therapist never addressed it as a separate point which I was initially a little disappointed about and I'm sure some people here would see as wrong and would recommend a special LGBT focused therapist (which mine is not). But I've come to think she's actually right for me. For me the questioning is very much part of a bigger picture where all my feelings, not just sexual ones, have been coming to the surface for the first time in probably decades. This includes questioning my relationships in general and realizing that I have needs and what they are. I somehow never thought that anything better than the non-relatonship I had with my husband was possible or that I 'deserved' any better. I thought relationships are about putting up with things. Well, I'm beginning to see that maybe not. Like you say, it's tied up with self esteem. And although it seems obvious on the mental level, I think this process is about experiencing it not just in your head but in your body and it has its own slow, laborious schedule. Because it's like giving birth to yourself and that shouldn't be rushed not to spoil it.

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @rosemarythyme Thank you for your lovely reply.

I'm not doubting the validity of my questioning, but I perhaps shouldn't have let it distract me so much. Easier said than done though, it's very overwhelming, so I won't be too hard on myself. And like you say, it's all tied up together, so perhaps I couldn't have done it any other way. It does seem obvious now, but like you, I genuinely thought that was as good as it would ever get. And yes, the putting up with things too. I'm glad to hear that you feel you're making progress. I am considering finding a therapist myself, mainly to work on my self-esteem. Being financially independent was a big concern for me for a long time, and it's hard to get off the ground with children to look after, but it can be done. If I can do it, I'm sure you can too!

rosemarythyme likes this.
  6. butterfly1

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    LostinDaydreams- Excellant thoughts to start this thread. Glad to see you facing life head on.
    And just maybe somewhere down your path you might find that special someone. Maybe she will be there waiting. Or maybe he will be there.
    "Sweet dreams are made of these..." (Eurythmics)
    As I've said before-
    You go, girl.

readynow and LostInDaydreams like this.
  7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you @butterfly1 :slight_smile:

Haha...I really don't think it'd be worth it.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's an important realisation to come to, but taking it to the next stage and untangling yourself will be difficult and it's one of the reasons I always come back to the same advice about relationship counselling. I think a lot of people see relationship counselling as a process to keep them together, but it's often used to help people to separate and maintain a level of decorum, and when kids are involved we desperately need that. The last thing we want our kids to see is a broken relationship with lots of hate and enmity.

I think you have reached a crossroads now and maybe you are not so LostInDaydreams anymore. Big decisions from here, but I hope we can help you as you begin to branch off. :slight_smile:

9. butterfly1

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I meant a new "he". A different person, instead of the current person in your life.
    Or maybe not. I may have miss read.
    Anyway, It is a new year, a new day. Moving forward is what counts. : )

#9 butterfly1, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew what you meant and I stand by my original reply. :slight_smile:

@PatrickUK Thank you. I live near a Relate, so will look into that. Haha...yes, my username was very apt at the time I picked it. Thanks again.

#10 LostInDaydreams, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. readynow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate to this - and why, for me at least, my fantasies don't seem real and are possibly symbolic of something else.
    I do think confronting reality first would help clarify if the meaning of those fantasies .

12. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm....I think it's fairly common for those fantasies not feel real whilst questioning. I wouldn't say that they felt 'real' now, but they are what comes naturally. I would really need to force myself to think about men that way and it wouldn't do anything for me.

For me, they did start as a form of escape from an unhappy relationship. At the beginning, there wasn't anything sexual in them, just all the non-sexual parts of being in a relationship. That changed over time as I became more comfortable with it. Around the time that I joined EC my main focus shifted to questioning, which consumed a lot of my attention and probably distracted me from dealing with my relationship. Then I got caught up in having to tell my partner, etc. which again distracted me from dealing with the relationship itself.

What about your reality would you like to confront?

13. readynow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok that makes sense.
    Yes, but the question for me at least, are my fantasies something I want in reality or are they symbolic, like a dream?Especially because (and this is where I think are experiences are different) I really like looking at women, I have never seen a man in real life I am attracted to.
    I think it remains hidden. But continuing to dwell on fantasies for me at least, is not helpful.

14. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What could they symbolic of? Do you have something particular in mind?

And why this particular fantasy? Even when mine where just a form of escape, there's a good reason why they worked as the best form of escape. I could have imagined a happy relationship with a different man, but I didn't.

I didn't see attractive women at first. It takes time to adapt, let the walls down.

#14 LostInDaydreams, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  15. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That is an interesting question. And I get what you say in your thread about heresy. It's good to be open to all sorts of answers and see one's experience through the lense of different worldviews to see which fits. It may not be relevant to you at all but I have come across something in Jungian literature where same-sex dreams and fantasies are interpreted as finding a connection to oneself, especially to one's body and feelings. The 'other' in them who is not the opposite but somehow the same (because of the same sex) is symbolically a part of oneself. This psychological process of finding oneself on some level (symbolised by the fantasies) doesn't determine whether one will actually be gay in outer reality. I find it interesting that for people who question their sexuality later in life it often seems to go hand in hand with greater self-discovery, self-acceptance, awakened sensitivity, depth of feeling, connection to one's body etc.

readynow likes this.
  16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you shut off one part of who you are, it perhaps follows that other things would be shut off or limited as a result (i.e. depth of feeling). And I suppose, hiding becomes normal. For me, I worry a lot in general about what other people think of me and that extends beyond my sexuality.

#16 LostInDaydreams, Dec 31, 2017
    HelpLOL likes this.
  17. readynow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you! This is very helpful.. a literally said "ah ha! ' when I read it! I have had the weird feeling that my 'gay' fantasies are narcissism, almost having sex with another me...or who i would like to be
    @LostInDaydreams for me, personally, (I am not saying this is yours or any other person's experience here) I get a strong hunch the answer for me lies in something like this .... off to Amazon for Jung :slight_smile:

#17 readynow, Dec 31, 2017
  18. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok I think you pretty much nailed how my wife was looking at it. I knew she was bi so I didn't think too much of her reading lesbian erotica (a lot, like she'd always have a story or two on her phone that she would be reading at a time), and she once told me she used to fantasy about leaving me for a women (that's when things were really bad between us). We decided to go to therapy and work on our relationship. We were able to become friends again, I know it's not going to work for everyone but working on the relationship so when you're able to come out to your spouse it's as a friend, its pretty helpful. Not to say it's easy now... but we're working on it. We both want each other to be happy, now we have to go figure out how's that's going to look for us and individually. Currently my wife is at her GFs for new years and I'm good with it. I know this isn't right for everyone, but it was the being friends with my wife that allowed for us to even try and figure out what happy looks like for us.

PS. Getting that friendship back after years can be pretty tough :frowning2:

#18 HelpLOL, Dec 31, 2017
    Woodswoman likes this.
  19. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you @HelpLOL. I can see there are similarities and ideally I would like to maintain a friendship with my partner. However, I really have no interest in working on our relationship. I can see the advantages of thinking of it as a friendship first, so I will think about it. Perhaps I'm just being stubborn, I don't know. But, the idea of staying with my current partner (or any other man) for the rest of my life, makes me wonder what the point of carrying on would be, like 'Is this it?'. I realise I could end up being single forever, but the idea of being with men is very bleak.

20. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, it's a possible trail to follow but even with that I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions. The stuff I remember reading wasn't in Jung himself, I think it was in a book by Marion Woodman and it related to women's experiences while in analysis. But when you said about it being symbolic like a dream, that made me think of how Jungian dream interpretation sees a sexual encounter as a more symbolic union with a part of yourself. So even, say, a disturbing dream involving sex with somebody totally inappropriate can mean the psyche is trying to contact the part of itself that the person symbolises for you.

readynow likes this.