1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello and Happy New Year!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by dcalong, Jan 1, 2018.

1. dcalong

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,

I'm sort of new to the site, I previously joined many years ago and met some nice people. However, I went back into denial about who I was and once again blocked out anything or anyone that reminded me of the truth.

Several events in the past year have made me realise that I'm getting older and everyone and everthing is moving onwards and upwards. I'm not saying that I'm old, but I have realised that I've missed out on so much of my life over the past ten years and it still feels like 2008 to me. I won't go into detail about my life and what has happened over the past year, if you want to know then I'll go into detail at a later stage.

Most of my life has been spent looking back on good times rather than living in the here and now, which is something I've never really done. I've looked back at the 'good times' and realise at that time I was looking back at other 'good times', so I never really apprciate what is happening here and now.

Long story short, after many years of denial and mood swings and family asking when I'm going to get a girlfriend, I've decided that 2018 needs to be the year I come out. I know some people will say it's easy to come out and others will say how hard it is and I'm aware it's different for everyone. The truth is that I know almost all of my family will be ok with it (even though there's been homophobic comments in the past), I feel my parents will be ok with their son being gay.

So, where am I now? I'm not sure, I've previously looked at loads of web sites, local meet up groups, been on here and various other options in the past ten years. What I need now is a structure as to how this will work, otherwise I'm fearful that I'll fall into the same trap I have many times before when attemtping to come to terms with my sexuality.

Sorry for the long introduction, it's great to be back and I'm determined to stay this time :slight_smile:

dc

2. ReadyFreddy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy New Year and welcome back DC. I can relate to almost everything on your insightful post. I have intended to come out and move forward numerous times, but have never followed through. I plan to finally get out of my comfort zone this year and come out. Still working on a strategy to do so and any suggestions would be appreciated. Good luck on your journey.

3. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Similar story here, particularly with the timewarp thing - I'm still stuck as a teenager. Nostalgia is the just the past with the bad bits forgotten about and although my head understands this my heart definitely doesn't. Hope 2018 works out well for you.

4. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    more new members signing up! Welcome to the community and Happy New Year to you!

5. dcalong

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your message readyfreddy, I've spent a long time thinking about strategies and never found one that I'm happy with. I'm not bi-polar but I do find my attitude towards being gay changes daily so that doesn't help. Yesterday I was thinking about the future and how nice it'd be to meet someone and adopt a couple of kids and today I'm thinking of living in the closet for the rest of my life.

Whatever your journey, keep us informed and I wish you all the best.

6. dcalong

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks mask, not sure why it's so difficult but I understand why some people are in the closet into their 60's, although I'd hate to wait that long. Hope you have a great 2018 and good luck in coming out.

7. dcalong

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Happy new year heyrita and thanks for the message.