1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of Men?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Derrit, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Derrit

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it's a funny idea to be scared of what you're attracted to, but i'm scared of men.

I've never had a friendship with a boy throughout my entire school experience, and honestly try to avoid interaction with them as much as possible. It's even worse when I must interact with a male salesman or store clerk to buy a product. When I must be in a situation like so i usually keep my head down and look at my toes, even if i don't find the specific person attractive.

Has anyone felt the same way? It's somewhat detrimental to making friendships, or lasting ones. Unfortunately the majority of boys in my High School don't really want to interact with me (Do not want a friendship with me.)

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Derrit:

Are you aware of whether there is a specific reason you might be afraid such as harassment, abuse, etc? Or is it just a case of being a gay person in a mostly straight school?

#2 wickedwitch, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Derrit,

Have you considered getting involved in activities where the interactions are not so much one-on-one, but rather in a group? I'm thinking of something like running track and field, joining the swim club or joining the band. I think that the activities might distract you from your discomfort and allow you to feel more comfortable with other men over time. Although I was very much afraid of my father, these kind of activities allowed me to gradually fall with a loose group of friends, some of whom eventually became close personal friends.

If this seems overwhelming to you in concept, why not just start running or swimming and grow into joining others, perhaps first on a very informal basis.

Hope this helps you.

Milan