1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sinner in Mecca

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Sundara, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Last night I watched an Islamic gay film "A Sinner in Mecca". Frankly I was very sad when watching the movie, sad because the meaning of the film was so profound for me. Pervez Sharma who made the film is also a director of the movie "Jihad for Love". Sharma is a Muslim gay from India.
    I love the character of Sharma, because besides he is a Muslim who knows how to act as a Muslim but also as a gay who is responsible for himself.
    Intellectually, his appearance as a gay man is really amazing. The value of Islamic values contained in the film is full of philosophy. The film recounts his experiences while traveling to Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca. The Hajj in Islam is inspired by the events of Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) and Isma'il.
    At the end of the story Sharma asserted after he made his hajj trip in Saudi Arabia, "May I become a hajj mabrur (graduate as a pilgrim)", although there is no Hajj certificate but God will write in Heaven as a reward.
    I was crying because the human goal in Islam is happiness after death is not happiness in the world. So when we are in the world we have to withhold everything that is forbidden by Allah SWT.
    But Sharma accepts himself as a gay and he has a partner and marries a gay from New York (Caucasian) who is religiously different from Sharma.
    I salute to Pervez Sharma.

#1 Sundara, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. CyclingFan

Hi Silas,

I admittedly don't know a ton about Islam, although I have met a lot of people who are Muslim who are people that I love and respect. And I am forever thankful for the cultural heritage we have thanks to Islamic peoples.

This movie sounds beautiful, I would love to see it. In your opinion, is it accessible to someone who didn't grow up with Islam? It sounds like they are trying to bridge that gap, having the finale be with a man from New York, with a different religion?

3. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dear CyclingFan,

Islam forbids LGBT strictly and we are human beings, human being as gay. There are many non-Muslim gays who live in free countries and they can express their gay-ness very freely, without restriction, without something that confuses you to choose between life as a gay or sticking to your religion.
    Life as a Muslim and gay is very complicated. Where one side we need to worship the God and the other side we need a love story and love story we wanted by gay is a love story that is forbidden by religion (God). Between obedience to Allah SWT and disobeying Allah's command.
    Running the Hajj pilgrim to Mecca is a way of Islam towards the obedience of Muslims on earth. At the same time the representation of the charity of the goodness of a person on earth derived based on the events of Prophet Ibrahim AS and Ismail AS. If a lot of people commit sins they will be reciprocated while doing this pilgrimage (not necessarily).
    There is a concern that if a gay performs Hajj, there is a kind of reward from Allah SWT that will befall him because his life history is not in accordance with the command of Allah SWT.
    It is not easy to life in two opposite sides in the same time like Pervez Sharma and me.
    Gay moslem like life in a glass with water and oil. One side honestly I want to be gay and other side I need God because I believe in Him. Sometimes, my mind like crazy and I want dissapear from the world why I am here?
    In conclusion, Pervez Sharma loves his religion, but he also loves himself as a gay. Acceptance of the two opposing elements.

Thank Cycling, I hope you understand. Please feel free if you still need explanation.

#3 Sundara, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017