1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm non-binary, now what?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by poetrycat, Dec 21, 2017.

1. poetrycat

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I recently figured out I'm non-binary. I'm pretty certain about that part. I also think I'm bigender, but I'm less sure about that bit. What I'm most confused about is what to do next with this revelation. I'm not in a hurry to come out or anything... Though I would like to try dressing more androgynously.
    I know this is a pretty vague question, but if anybody has anything to say that might help then that'd be great? Any tips on how to look more androgynous would also be welcome.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, we'd need to know a bit about your physical characteristics. Sex, height/weight, body type.

In short, if you're female sex then you'll need to wear clothing made for male bodies, and if you're male sex then you'll need to wear clothing made for female bodies.

3. Zoe Kay

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

Congrats and welcome! I suggest being yourself and journaling your experiences as you feel more comfortable being you!

4. poetrycat

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm dfab and pretty small/petite, so I'll try wearing clothing made for male bodies! I'm cutting my hair too, to see if that helps. Thank you very much for your advice!

I'll try doing that. Your advice and support are very much appreciated!

Zoe Kay likes this.
  5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd ask for further advice or look through previous threads on the same topic, as some female-bodied people come off as lesbian with short hair. If that's something you're okay with - then that's fine, but not so much if you're going for androgyny (might have been in the past but commonly associated with lesbians now). Although it depends on your face shape, the cut you want and other factors I can't think of right now - so again, I'd ask on the forums this thread or another about a good short hair style for what you want.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look at clothes in both the women's and men's section and be creative :wink:
    You might want to look into binding and a haircut too.

If you have more specific questions, e.g. About clothing, ask away.

Zoe Kay likes this.
  7. poetrycat

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much! I didn't even consider some of the things you said before you pointed them out. I really appreciate your advice.

Alright, thank you very much! I have considered binding, but I think I'm going to change things gradually so that I don't get overwhelmed and I'm probably going to leave that for later. I'm going to get a haircut, though I'm not quite sure what it's going to be yet.
    Clothing wise, I'm hoping to get some clothing from the men's section soon. I'll have to do it without my parents knowing though, as they'd probably wonder what I was doing.
    Thank you very much for your advice and your support! It makes me feel a lot better.

8. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey so congrats ... figuring out you are non binary is a big first step... now it's just finding what makes you feel most comfortable day to day in being yourself... I ID as bigender, what helped me confirm it is to write down what gender I felt like each day and kind of track my gender shifts... otherwise it is based on what will make you feel most validated in your gender but not cause problems if you aren't out. Hope this helps.

9. poetrycat

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm leaning towards bigender but I'm still not sure. Writing down what it feels like every day would probably help a lot! Thank you very much for your advice!

10. Zoe Kay

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And don't be rushed into doing anything! Everything in this journey is at YOUR pace and how/when you choose! Be sure to check in with your emotions and thoughts and not feel the need to dress a certain way on any given day if you don't feel it. I have my butch days, my femme days, and my mixed days and even on those days things can shift.