1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I messed up my life?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ngale, Dec 21, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This was one of the hardest decisions and processes but it has been absolutely the right one for me, and it shows that this path can lead to a good ending. For me, it's certainly the only way I can live a full life.

Aside from this, my life, at the moment, is difficult, but not as any result of this decision, but because of other things that have happened since... The relationship between myself and my ex is wonderful, I have a wonderful partner who I feel so lucky to have, my daughter's happy, and all of that does feel amazing. But something I've only discovered recently is that being myself has made even the more difficult things in life easier to bear. I realise now that being out has allowed me to form more open connections and friendships. I was able to walk into work when life got difficult recently and talk genuinely about it with a couple of coworkers. Before this I didn't have the same ability to open up to others and truly be myself. For that, I'm really grateful.

#21 baristajedi, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    LostInDaydreams and Ngale like this.
  2. Ngale

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Lia444 I'm not sure why it feels that. Maybe it is because people have categorised me as gay and I have tried not to be that. Honestly now that I think of it I really have tried to be heterosexual and push away my affection for women. And if I give up on this and decide to choose women, I have failed to be a heterosexual.

3. Ngale

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing your story, it is nice to read how others have gone these things trough.

4. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing with being bi though is you aren’t really one or the other, you’re both so I can imagine it is difficult to feel that sometimes you’re straight and other times gay. You don’t have to pick a side you can be both. Maybe have a read through some posts that bi people have written to see if that helps. You can search keywords at the top of the site. Looking into internalised homophobia might help too.

nebraska jones likes this.
  5. Ngale

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Lia444 thanks for the tips.

What about all of you whom have divorced because of finding out your true sexuality, have you told for exemple your collagues the reason for your divorce or have you kept it to yourselves?

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have made a blanket rule to not hide *anything* about my life, if it comes up I don't hide it. This is something that has taken me time struggling to be open, but it's very refreshing to be at this stage where I can share who I am honestly. I haven't directly gotten into such a detailed conversation with anyone about all the specifics, except one very good friend/ex-coworker. She knows everything about me at this point....but that was our first personal conversation , telling her about my divorce and coming out.

Usually at work, I make references to things in my life like my partner (female name), our kids, my daughter's dad, etc etc. Basically I'm open to the extent that it comes up in conversation. I feel very good because nothing is hidden, it's such a relief living without secrets.

#26 baristajedi, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  7. Ngale

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @baristajedi you are quickly becoming my idol . You must have a long journey behind you to be in such a good place now. I envy you.

It has been liberating to discuss about my feelings here. Tho I am little scared what will happen now that I have said all these things "aloud".

8. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out, I did it pretty publicly. Family, friends, colleagues, social media - I went for the fully out option, lol.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is the same for me, I came out really openly and directly in a Facebook post, so everyone knows, it's very clear...the only difference is that (most of) my work colleagues are not on my fb.

10. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back in September of 2016, I took a week off from work and used the time to come out to all my family and friends, each in separate conversations that I wanted to have with people personally, and not through a text message. It was exhausting. I called it my "gaycation."

nebraska jones, baristajedi and Ngale like this.
  11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That must have been an emotional week, amazing!

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thanks ngale, you'll get to a place where you recognise what you need and you'll make your way forward, it takes time.

beyourself likes this.