1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The last Jedi review forum (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Samantha D, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Samantha D

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Post your reviews of the new Star Wars movie here. With or without spoilers. View at your discretion. And keep it academic please. (No "It's great."Or "It sucks." If so add a "because...")

#1 Samantha D, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I saw the trailers, I was like "hmm the empire strikes back. again."
    Wrong.
    This one's like a jumpstart to leave the past storyline behind. Snoke is dead, so, no more Emperor figure. Phasma is dead, so, no more Boba Fett figure. I also liked the idea of Rey not being connected to a big somebody (I guess we have to wait until IX to prove this), like anybody can be a Jedi now. IMO, it helps us focus on the new central characters while bringing the series into the realm of the unexpected.

3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The film was very well done.

Like Luke said, it did not go the way I thought. But it was good. It took some unexpected turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. It was great to see Yoda again, and to see brother and sister together one last time (Rest in peace Luke). However, after seeing Leia's capabilities with the Force in this one, it makes me mad that we won't get to see how far she could have gone in Episode IX with those abilities (maybe she would have picked up a lightsaber too...). We can only imagine how her story would have played out now.

I'm looking forward to the Han Solo film in May, and Episode IX.

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, can anyone tell me what color Luke's lightsaber was? It was hard to tell. At times it looked solid white, other times it looked very light blue.

5. Samantha D

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was blue and that should have been a dead give away to Kylo cause he just said the real saber destroyed

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See, I didn't catch him saying that the real one was destroyed. Must have missed that because I was just so caught up in their fight. But I guess it explains why he no longer has the green one.

Also, do you think his death was caused by Kylo stabbing his projection, or was his death caused by the amount of energy he was exerting to create that projection?

7. Justinian20

I think the movie was pretty good and I would certainly watch it again, it did have a few problems but then so does the original trilogy, but for me I like how it doesn't focus on good vs evil, it focuses on neutrality and I love the fact that the Resistance is like a tonne weaker than the Rebellion it really pumps up the next movie.

I think Luke may have died because of the amount of energy he exerted to create the projection. But I hope no one else can force project because it shows that despite him failing with Ben, he still was a pretty powerful force user. I liked all the cheeky references to other films in the star wars franchise.

8. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree it would make him a preety powerful person. I feel like he didn't teach that to his students, otherwise Ben might have recognized what he was doing.

I also love how it focuses on neutrality. I was kind of hoping Rey would become a Gray Jedi (and perhaps weild a purple lightsaber), but I still like the direction they went with it.

9. Nata

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I liked the movie in general. Visuals are great. We've learnt more about Kylo, met Yoda, saw Luke in the way we didn't expect (still he's a baddass), couple epic scenes...but what i didn't get:
    1) How they could kill Snoke so easily?! It was a shock! For a moment i thought: Yaas Kylo, good job! -and then -What the hell?! Snoke is so powerful, you must be kidding me, he cannot die right now!
    2) Leia's force, i was surprised, but i'm happy she's alive.
    3) FINN! He was getting on my nerves the whole movie, too noisy and absolutely useless!
    p.s Kylo & Rey, cannot help it, but ship it, sorry xD

10. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOVED IT

Luke's projection was my fave part. I was like "aw he came back to his sister, wait his beard is darker, omg dont shoot him! *shoulder wipe* YAYYYYYY he survived. Oh no now Kylo got him with his light sabre. Howwwwww did he survive that?" Then it cut to him on the island shaking like a leaf. Then he "died". I was in pieces!!!

Awesome

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1.Vader killed Palpatine just as easily.
    2. Same, but also wish they had utilized her Force powers more in both this one and Force Awakens.
    3. Agree. He was a lot better in Force awakens.

12. Nata

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    at least we had Palpatine in all 6 episodes.......and now i remembered all villains, they all were defeated easily, dammit!

13. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is true. I never realized that. At least General Grevious put up a fight as he went out.

14. Lyze of kiel

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It felt like a satire of the force awakens, at first seaming like a remake of the empire strikes back, but avoiding becoming one.
    And as for what happened with snoke, it was obvious what had happened, due to him explaining it.
    I give it a “improved” out of 10.
    Too bad I was spoiled about the new ships.

15. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw it in 3d. According to my brother, who also saw it in 2d on opening night, the 3d worked well for some scenes and hurt others.

Also, did anyone else notice that Luke's journey was symmetrical? When we first see him in episode IV, it's at a double sunset. When he dies in VIII, it's at a double sunset.

Also, for people talking about the whole force projection thing, you'll notice that they made a big deal out of the footprints everyone was leaving in the salt, but Luke never actually left any footprints.

16. Nata

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hmm haven't noticed, i'll definitely check it later :nerd:

17. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely loved the movie! At first I was afraid they were going to do a homage to ESB like they did with TFA and ANH, but they took it in a completely different direction. I think my two favorite scenes was Kylo Ren and Rey's duel against Snoke's guards and Admiral Holdo lightspeed ramming Snoke's ship. Definitely looking forward to Episode IX.

I am curious on how they're going to handle Leia's storyline since Fisher is gone. Disney has stated that they have no intention of using CGI to recreate her like they did for Rogue One, so either they'll have to bring in another actress to play the part or kill her off-screen. As amazing as it was to see her use the Force to save herself, having her die when the bridge was blown up would have addressed the issue perfectly.

As for Luke's Force projection, it's stated earlier by Kylo Ren that doing so would potentially kill the one who attempts it. It happens during his and Rey's first Force connection and he thinks Rey is casting an astral projection of herself. He tells her that she shouldn't be able to do it as the effort required to do so would kill her. It seems that the strain of casting his own projection across the galaxy killed Luke.

18. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, the way that Leia saved herself seemed a bit... I can't think of the word, expected? Obvious? Kinda lame? for some reason. Of course I didn't want her to die, but it felt like the writers were being lazy. "Oh nooo Leia is gonna die- OH WAIT, ALMOST FORGOT THAT SHE CAN USE THE FORCE, DIDN'T YOU? DUN DUN DUUUUHHHNNNN." I would have liked a bit more work to go into that part. Otherwise, except for the movie being a bit slow at certain times (Luke refusing to teach Rey how to use the force for a good while as she aimlessly follows him around the island), I enjoyed the film. I do think that Episode VII was better though. I would have liked to see more action and less time taken for the plot to progress.