1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking About It...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unknown737, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Unknown737

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I am out to my parents and a few friends, and it has all gone well so far. I just feel like I need to talk about it with someone, and one of my friends is very good at talking about this and everything... I just don't know how to bring it up. I am very socially awkward and have pretty severe anxiety. Everything is just really stressful and my sexuality shouldn't be adding to this. I know this isn't exactly a coming out question but this seemed like the best place to ask this.

Any advice on how to start a conversation? Or is this a stupid idea and weird...

Thanks for reading this:slight_smile:

2. Optimist17

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's not a stupid question at all! When it comes to being lgbt, it really helps to have a friend to talk to. The best way to bring it up may just be to outright tell them. However, if you want to take a more subtle approach, you could talk about lgbt actors. "Did you see Ellen's latest show?" "Man, I love Neil Patrick Harris". (I know, I know, I don't know of many lgbt actors. Lol.) Talking about other lgbt people is a good way to get the ball rolling.

Good luck, and feel free to leave a message on my page if you want to talk more! :slight_smile:

Optimist17

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say socially awkward, I presume you mean that feeling when you're sort of screaming the words on the inside but the anxiety prevents them from ever actually being said out loud. If it's that first step of initiating the conversation that is causing all the problem then perhaps you could manage the anxiety by taking it out of this uncomfortable situation.
    For example, putting it down in words. Some people find it easier to write out a letter to express themselves, which in turn prompts the conversation from the more socially confident party. In the past I have sent a text in advance of meeting a friend to stop me from backing out under the pressure of the moment. For example, if meeting in a restaurant I might say "If you got there first, ask for a quiet table, I'd like to talk to you about something important". That way when we got there, my friend would prompt the conversation which would remove a bit of the anxiety.

You could also try a visual prompt or aid like having a book/leaflet in your bag about LGBT issues or events etc. You might say "I got this leaflet about a local LGBT social group. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it yet though, I could do with talking it through with a friend first" etc.

Obviously those exact words might not be right for you but I hope that makes sense and is some kind of help.