1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice things about America

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flowey, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @TrevinMichael You are the only country who auto-refer itself as America and yes the whole world knows that because, like said,people from the US like to make a point about it (not everyone, mind you, as shown in this thread).

I have said in my post that I have met some of the nicest/most welcoming people in the US ( I have lived there and visit regularly), I have also met some of the most most-close minded people there, but guess what? They also exist in my home country. Of course the US is diverse in its population and thank god. I know how great people from the US can be as some of my closest friends are from the US.

Not sure what your point is about Canada being built after the United States of America as I am sure you are aware that "America" (the continent) existed wayyyy before the US even begun to exist. Also not sure where you've read that I was saying that the USA was a bunch of countries? I am well aware that it's one country made of 50 states and I think you are the one not understanding that "America" is also a continent composed of many countries, even just "nothern america" (if you want to divide it in 3) isn't just composed of the USA .

You can call the US "America" if you wish, I really do NOT care, but like the OP pointed out as well as other people, some people from other countries belonging to the american continent see it as a problem and I personally can understand why. It's okay if you can't see why they would be upset about it but I do. There is obviously no point fighting about it though and we can simply just agree to disagree.

Like I said in my first post on this thread the US have a lot to offer be it weather-wise/landscape-wise and in a lot of areas (science, technology etc...)

#21 Lin1, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    it is a silly thing to be upset about

most of the world is okay with it

I would say get over it and move along.

I also say it had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

3. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    and like I said this is not what the topic is about

nice things about America

not why do Americans call their country America

I do not really care what other countries call them self and I will address them any way they want.

If Siam wants to called Thailand then they are Thailand.

Trying to say why we call our selves America will not hold water because it is why you think we do.

4. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The more pressing question is this: If Americans are supposed to drop the “America” from the vernacular, what should Americans call themselves if not “Americans?”

The solution that always seems to come up is “United Statesian.”

Not only are you being silly about it you are speaking for other people in other nations.

speak for your self

#24 TrevinMichael, Dec 16, 2017
  5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow--apparently not it's citizenry. I'm with Linning for the record, just speaking for myself, no one else. I say the U.S. When I am abroad I refer to myself as from "the States."

6. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    from the states is a where question

who you are is American

unless you have another name for it

yes we say we are from the united states but we are called Americans

there is no other term for us than that.

#26 TrevinMichael, Dec 16, 2017
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually who I am is Steve. I guess it's just not that big a part of my identity, certainly not enough to resort to calling people "silly" because they slightly disagree with me about it.

8. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never called you silly

being silly is not a name it is an action
    and it is an opinion

not the same thing

it is not a disagreement

we are called Americans

it is who we are

you said other countries do not like it
    you are speaking for them.

Steve

why is this so important to you?
    fact one you were talking for others in your previous statements
    fact two the topic is being nice

none of which pertains to how you side railed this discussion.

Have a nice day Steve

#28 TrevinMichael, Dec 16, 2017
  9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where did I say other people didn't like it?

10. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    if all you want to do is argue fine

keep doing it

the claim was some people in other countries do not like us using America in our name

but none of this is really part of what is nice about the United States of America
    it was derailed but all of this

I love our national parks, most of the people, our capitol, our lakes, rivers, camp grounds, mountains, valley, and the animals found here.
    That is some of what I like about my country.

#30 TrevinMichael, Dec 16, 2017
  11. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol for someone who is asking me to get over it you sure like to keep up the debate @TrevinMichael. I don't remember calling you silly for disagreeing with me so please return the favour.

Also, be consistant. If you say "speak for yourself" (which I have) then don't make statements about the "whole world" being okay with it, because I can tell you it's not. Unless you've had extensive conversation about it with foreigners from the "whole world" who have ALL confirmed they are fine with it, which I am sure you haven't.

Like I said, it doesn't matter to me what you call your country or your citizenship but I think it is completely valid to point out that some people are rightly (due to historical and political reasons) annoyed by it.

Of course you can say "I don't care I'll call myself what I want because I have called myself that for over 50 years" and refuse to see other people's point of view but it's a little bit akin to people who use offensive terms in their daily life and refuse to change because they have always used those words.

I think as a community who is constantly discriminated against and know very well how people taking 5 minutes of their time to adjust their vocabulary/use correct pronouns can significantly better our daily life we should be a bit more sensible about making small efforts that cost us nothing to stop perpetuating what our ancestors did in the past and take into consideration history when using certain words/doing certain things. It may sound silly to you but I actually think it would make for a better world.

Now if you think your "entitlement" to using words you have always used trumps that, that's your prerogative, but that's only feeding the negative image people have of "Americans" not wanting to learn from their mistakes and feeling entitled to do what they want above everybody's interest.

I have already stated what I think is nice about the USA, unfortunately the OP started the debate himself by calling people "pedantic jerks" and "dum-dum" for not wanting to erase history and caring about US citizens using the word "America", ironically showing what people dislikes about the US ("I prefer so I shall" attitude and "screw everyone else if they don't agree with me and care about things I deem ridiculous even though they are very logical and sensible") before asking us to say positive stuff about his country, so yes.
    If I am going to be called a "dum-dum" and "pedantic jerk", I may as well act like one and respond to it. Sorry if me standing up for what I feel is right bothers you...

Like I said, there are a lot of positive things about the US but it's not because it's supposed to be a "nice thread" that I won't point out things I think are wrong in this thread like calling people "jerk", "dum-dum" or "silly" for example.

#31 Lin1, Dec 16, 2017
  12. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is just my opinion but maybe a separate thread could be created for this whole "America or USA" fight, or preferably even private messages. I'd like to come here and read "Nice things about America" instead of arguments :slight_smile:

#32 Glitters, Dec 16, 2017
  13. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice thing about America: People argue over what to call it.

14. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Unsure or whether to post a laughing emoji or an eye-rolling one* XD

15. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    some people just like the attention I guess

I said what I like about my country

this is a bout what is nice about America

16. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice thing about America: It's hilarious

17. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Canada. Every part of this world has good things about it. America has the Keys in Florida very pretty, and nice waterfalls.

California has the Red Wood forests, Arizona has the Grand Canyon, Colorado has the Rocky Mountains, Tennessee has the Smokey Mountains, Wyoming has Devil’s Tower, Hawaii is tropical, Alaska has glaciers and beautiful mountains, New York has Niagara Falls, Florida has the Everglades, the upper peninsula of Michigan has undiscovered waterfalls waiting to be found. Pictured rocks are beautiful and all the national and state parks we have. America the beautiful.

#37 TrevinMichael, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  18. Flowey

Oops my bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and Linning, for the record my snark is not directed at those who prefer to use the term USA but who feign ignorance of not knowing "America" refers to the country itself. And I'm not from America, hah!

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All...What is nice about America....well, it's my home. The unfortunate thing about people who are let's say, from Europe or Asia (just an example!) is that the people from the US that they meet are tourists and not me or my next-door neighbor. We're pretty nice folks. But I don't think we will probably ever be well-off enough to go to Europe or Asia and prove it to those who live there. Sometimes, not all the time....trying to protect myself from being burned at the stake here :blush:, those tourists don't represent all of us here in the USA very well. I was at Disneyland back in September and a group of (here we go again) "tourists" from Asia were in line with us. Several people remarked that they (tourists) were not very nice and were "pushy". SO is everybody from that unnamed Asian country rude and arrogant? Well, I sure hope not! So yes, Linning.... we are a part of a community that has been discriminated against...so hey everybody, how about we pretend that being a good human, being kind, accepting people (even if they are from the US, I mean the USA...oops America) is really important. That's not to criticize what anybody said in this thread...and I do love my country no matter which of those names for it you want to use. Oh...and I bet the people who live in other countries feel pretty much the same!! :relaxed: ......David

20. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Peanut butter, blue berries, turkey, pecan pie, tex-mex, and I don't care what you might think but corn dogs are good! Milk tastes better here too.

The nerd culture is really awesome and big right now. Europe and other places don't have near the convention crowds and outlets for nerdom.

There is a lot of beautiful states and historical places to visit.

Disney World :B