1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gap

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GlassWalls, Dec 9, 2017.

1. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are some things to keep in mind when dating someone 20+ years older than you?
    How open-minded are most people about age gaps?
    (this is assuming everyone is at least 18)
    Does the younger person have to make the first move and do the pursuing?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing to keep in mind, I you are younger than late 20s, is to simply not do it. It's a terrible idea.

There are way too many differences, power and control dynamics, different stages of life, psychological issues, and a million other things.

The incidence of these relationships working in the long term (other than as basically a prostitution arrangement where the younger one is showers with gifts and money) is basically nonexistent.

If you find yourself attracted to much older people, then it's worthwhile exploring why. Emotionally healthy people don't seek out those sorts of relationships, so it's likely there is a need, perhaps a poor relationship with a father figure, that is being acted out.

I realize this is probably not what you want to hear but I hope you will at least consider this. There are a lot more details and reasons but the bottom line is pretty much as stated above.

newts and Nils like this.
  3. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

Either that or you're the president of France.

PJ94 likes this.
  4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being the president of France, or anything else, doesn't change the factors that potentially impact the emotional health of a relationship. Anyone can get in a relationship with a large age gap. Most will be unhealthy. Makes no difference if you're rich, famous, powerful, or whatever else.

#4 Chip, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  5. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you sure that's not just a bias? I would like to see some statistics on this. I know of plenty of people who are the same age and yet there relationship is very unhealthy, and plenty of people who are different ages who have very healthy, happy relationships. Age gaps don't inherently create imbalances of power. You can be in a "same-age" relationship with someone who has way more money than you and that can create an imbalance of power. But one person having more money isn't necessarily inherently unhealthy either...it really just depends on the people themselves and their personalities.

6. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't speak for 20+ years age gap, but personally, I prefer to date someone born in the same year as me, but the most I'd go is 2 years younger or 2 years older than myself. Any age else, I find life experience to be different. I once went on a date with a girl who said she was 26 (put her in the 2yr range). When we met in person, she was only 23, and that 5 year age gap was noticeable. We were at different stages in life--and that's only 5 years apart. 20+, I can only imagine people entering those relationships are for the money, status, etc.

7. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not gonna lie I totally agree with some that when I see a couple with a drastic age difference such as 20+ years I immediately think they're in it for all the wrong reasons. Not that they are, but I suppose I'm just conditioned to think that way, and well often times they probably are. And just like the above poster I don't like to get out of my age range dating either, 2 years is a good age gap for me as well and I actually personally would prefer 2 years older than younger. I personally don't like dating anyone with a big age gap due to numerous reasons, one being the maturity level, someone younger is more than likely too immature, yet someone way older could be too mature and on set with life than me. Then there's the question of would you want children? And if so are you both going to be capable of parenting? Also if you're dating someone 20+ years older doesn't it cross your mind that their end of time will come before yours? Or their sex drive may go away at some point? And I'm not trying to come across as mean, but I have to say it because it's something I immediately think when thinking about if I'd be with an older person, and that is #1 Are they older than or near my parents age? #2 If I were an 8 year old child, how old would they be? Just my personal opinion though, a big age gap isn't for me, and a 20+ year age gap is kind of creepy. But I'm sure it's nice and works out well for some people!

skittlz and gravechild like this.
  8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I think age gaps are more unhealthy because of mental differences more so than stage of life. Don't get me wrong, stage of life is important to some, but I don't think it always matches chronological age. A biggest example is this: My best friend is 23, I am 27, but she has more life experience than I do and is way ahead of me when it comes to "life stages". She started college at 18, graduated a year ago and has a high paying job. I started college about a week before my 27th birthday, never really worked (except for a crappy job at age 17) and I've been reclusive/hiding away from the real world for over 10 years due to mental illness and depression. I may be 27, but I'm only just learning how to socialize with people for the first time, only just learning how to deal with real world stressors for the first time, I still ask my relatives and closest friend advice on school and homework (despite being younger, she is a mentor for me when it comes to "how to survive college").

On the other hand, being chronologically older means I am more mentally mature. My brain stopped developing at age 25, so in some ways, I mentor my younger friend when it comes to maturity and how to deal with things.

That's why I've always preferred the "age gaps are wrong because the brain matures at 25" saying over the "stage of life" one. By the same stage of life argument, it would be healthier for me to date an 18 year old, despite being 27 (we both have no money and are college freshmen), but it just seems....weird to date someone 18. I don't agree with it. Being a late bloomer means that both people my age and younger are going to have way more life experience than me either way, but the brains are still developed. It wouldn't bother me to date someone with higher education and more money as long as they are respectful.

#8 Creativemind, Dec 11, 2017
    gravechild likes this.
  9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I agree with is that the money thing makes no sense. Some 23 year olds make way more money than some 40 year olds. Maybe the 23 year old has a college degree, and the 40 year old never even finished high school. This is more common than people think. None of the adults in my family have college degrees and so they make less money than most 20 something year olds. That doesn't mean that people half their age have a power advantage over them just because of money, that makes zero sense. If they weren't related and dated at their ages, I'd still think the age gap was a red flag because "brain maturity" but it would have nothing to do with x life experience or money.

#9 Creativemind, Dec 11, 2017
  10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We dug around for the studies on this topic when it was a major issue of discussion several years ago. The situation in the one study I remember, which was longitudinal, was so bad that the researchers at the time couldn't even find a decent number of age-gap relationships that stayed together more than a year or two. I know I cited this study and several others at the time. I'll dig around and see if I can locate them... but the data is definitely there.

Age gaps *do* inherently create imbalances of power. The combination of life experience differences and stage of life differences are pretty universal. There are also commonly income or asset imbalances, and education imbalances, though those aren't solely limited to age-gap relationships. And while these aren't inherently indicative of power imbalances, it is generally the exception rather than the rule when they don't impact the power and control dynamics of a relationship.

Power dynamic problems can certainly occur in age-concordant relationships, and are something that people need to be on guard of in any relationship, but are almost universal in age-gap relationships. There are exceptions to this, certainly, but on the whole, it's a pretty clear picture.

And again, using one's personal experience as a generalization of factual information is generally a really terrible and unreliable method. One of the things that is important both to me and to EC's admin team and board is that the information we convey to the community is factual and reliable, and not solely based on someone's misguided perceptions.

#10 Chip, Dec 11, 2017
  11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't disagree with age gaps being unhealthy, but I find it strange that income or educational status would automatically create a "power imbalance". A 20 year old could have better income and better education than a 30 year old depending on their life circumstances, so are they more dominant than the older person? I find that hard to believe. In my college, many of the freshman are over 25, some are even over 40 or 50. That's why the whole thing is so confusing. It sends a mixed message that on one hand, if a late bloomer 28 year old dates a traditional 22 year old, it states that: "The 28 year old has a power imbalance over the 22 year old because of developed brain difference", BUT, at the same time it also states "The 22 year old has a power imbalance over the 28 old year because they have more life experience in regards to education".

It sucks for people like me because I want to feel healthy and date people my own age, but everyone else my age has more life experience and better education/income. They all have degrees, careers, possibly even children, while I only have a high school diploma, no job, no relationship experience, etc. So it creates a problem where it's completely impossible for me to ever date because I'm not allowed to date people my own age (due to different life experience) but also not allowed to date people with my own experience (due to age gap).

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said, there are exceptions. A 20 year old with high income and education with a 30 year old who has less of those things might tend to even out the imbalance. And there are certainly exceptional circumstances where the power imbalances are reversed by age, or that the younger person is exceptionally mature, worldly, and capable. (But... nearly every 20 year old going out with a 40 year old claims they're that exception, and that certainly isn't the case.)

There's nuance in all of these things. The most recent school I attended, my classes had people ranging in age from late teens to 60s. The power dynamics were interesting, but there was always some level of inherent privilege conveyed along with age. This is almost inescapable.

So in your case, find people you connect with, be aware of how the different power dynamics interact, and find a combination that works. Perhaps it is someone close to your age, perhaps it is someone a bit older or younger. The power dynamics can be overcome and compensated for in some cases, but combined with the age gaps, and particularly when the parties going into the relationships are unaware of how the power dynamics work, there are an awful lot of pitfalls.

Creativemind likes this.
  13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure there are others out there you're age and with similar circumstances. What with the economy and illnesses being documented, and there being more groups, visibility, etc.

In general, the older you are, the more money, education, experience you have. If someone is older AND has those things, then yeah, I'd say that gives them a leg up over someone younger, whether they have more or not.

Creativemind likes this.
  14. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sources please?

If your claiming that your opinions are "factual" and not "someone's misguided perceptions" then can you at least site the source of the study that you are describing? That would be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Kyrielles likes this.
  15. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, I think everyone here is giving reasonable responses.

I’ve experienced it first hand with relationships that have a significant age gap; been there, done that. I never had success with them, reason being is they are WAY ahead of me in a lot of areas in my life where I am not; the biggest being maturity and life experience. I also had a problem introducing those people to my friends because... they’re just that much older than me.

With that said, I still find older men attractive (at this point it’s more of a fantasy, if anything). However, I am much more mindful at this point about the age of men I go on dates with.

As some of you may know, I broke up with my boyfriend just last week. He’s a year older than me, so no issues with an age gap there. However, there were problems in that relationship as well. Looking back, I crossed my own boundaries without even realizing that I had boundaries to begin with. There’s a lot I can work on now, but all I’m saying is that every relationship is going to have problems, whether you like it or not. With age gap relationships, maturity just happens to be one of them.

Statistics and surveys and do provide reasonable conclusion about studies. However, it is also important to note that these studies are generalizations, and simply cannot represent the the population as a whole (this rule applies to ALL studies). Meaning, you cannot conclude that every age gap relationship is bound to fail, because this is simply not true. There are many factors to consider, such as how old both individuals are. A 40 year old and a 50 year old isn’t too big of an issue, but I can certainly see where there is an issue with, let’s saay, a 20 year old and a 30 year old. Another aspect to consider is the maturity of each individual, and that is much harder to measure than the age of the participants in a study.

#15 Jax12, Dec 11, 2017
  16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

My very quick answer is if you search the topic in the EC thread archives, I listed the citations in several of the threads when the issue was coming up a lot. I don't have the citations handy, but they are definitely in the EC archives.

I will search them out when I have a moment, but in the meantime, they are there if you want to do the same.

17. PJ94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't like it. Huge age gaps kinda freak me out. I recently drunkly hooked up with a friend who's 4 years younger than me and I'm still bummed about it. But I also think that some people connect better with older people or vice versa, so it's really up to how you feel about it.

Jax12 likes this.
  18. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never really had a long lasting relationship I can hardly give you good advice, What I can say though, is: Having a good life stage and emotional connection, in combination with mutual attraction to eachother in a more... Loving way (Cough Cough), is the key to a good relationship as far as I can see. - Not specifically age, but with a larger age gap, the other factors (Especially live stage) do seem to be less likely to line up.

Jax12 likes this.
  19. Southpaw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What a load of rubbish.

Are some of you age police or what?

If two consenting adults fall in love with each other and are emotionally stable and suited to each other then age does not matter one iota.

Take your ageism and shove it.

GlassWalls likes this.
  20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now there's an intelligent, well argued, thoughtful and helpful response to the conversation, completely free of any annoying facts or information. Truly a meaningful contribution to the discussion.