1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who are out, do your parents accept you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hanyauku, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi everyone! I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm not looking for coming out advice, just curious to hear from people regarding this subject. Sooo, for those of you who have made the step of coming out to your family, do your parents accept you? Especially those of you who have transitioned to your identified gender, what do your parents think? I'm asking because I've always heard that when one person transitions, everyone around them transitions. Do your parents refer to you with your preferred pronouns and name? Even if they accept you, do they sometimes slip up and refer to you by your birth gender? Do they treat you just like they would a cisgender child of your gender identity? I guess this is basically just a lot of little questions, but I'm really curious about the intricacies that come with family interaction for trans individuals. I think if and when I come out to my parents, they wont' so much as be mad that I'm trans, but sad that they are "losing" their child. Even if they do fully accept me as their daughter on the surface, I can't help but think they will always view me as their son, and have mournful memories of him in the same way they would if I had died. I hope this post wasn't too rambling (and I apologize because it probably was!), but I've been curious about this for a while.

#1 Hanyauku, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is honestly not my story but it's my friend who is a gay. All of our friends and his sister knows that he is gay except his grandparents, they are the ones who raise him since he is a child and he simply doesn't want to disappoint them. He acts like a real man at home. He is a different person whenever he visits them. This friend of mine wears a makeup when he is out of his comfort zone. He honestly doesn't know how to tell them, it is sad cause they are the only person who doesn't know the truth.

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lucky in that my parents are accepting, and were supportive of me transitioning. They do call me by my name and pronouns, although I know they slip up occasionally, but they usually get it right. To be honest, I feel like they sometimes go out of their way to avoid referring to me in a sentence, like I almost never hear them use my name, they'll just try to find some other way to refer to me. I try to be patient and give them credit for trying cause I know it's hard to switch over, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all when I can hear them try to subtly not gender me in conversation. My parents didn't really impose much gender roles on me or my brother, so I'm not sure how I would tell if they are treating me like a cis male child or not. I honestly doubt that they view me as male, but I try not to think about it.

One of my biggest roadblocks when coming out was feeling guilty because I knew that I was upsetting my parents- the whole "losing a child" thing. I really beat myself up with guilty feelings about it, but I couldn't make myself not want to transition, so I had to go through with it.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I lost my parents from transition. When I initially came out to them two years ago it was really, really difficult and they were extremely unaccepting - resulting in me being forcibly recloseted. After I moved out to go to university and began transitioning, my family disowned me. This reached through my immediate family and both sides of my extended family. So while for the first time in my life I am living authentically and in that regard I am happy, I paid a very high and painful price. It's still something I'm working to come to terms with.

But on a more hopeful note, even if you do lose people, there will always be others who will love and support you. Here at university I have the most beautiful group of people to call my friends. Several of then are trans themselves and while not in my exact situation, can understand. They have been my bedrock and every time I've broken down they've been there. As an example, I am not able to go home for holidays and winter break is coming up. Six of my friends, on their own accord, spoke to their families about opening their home to me so I wouldn't be alone. That kind of kindness shook me. And it was then that I realized that sometimes, yes, it will be hard. Fucking hard. But you have to get back up again and create your own family.

However it goes for you I wish you all the best. Be patient and always keep fighting.

BradThePug, AlexJames and Aberrance like this.
  5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out about 2 years ago and they needed some time to get to grips and try to understand what transgender means but they didn't shun me and they try. They do still slip up on pronouns occasionally and you can hear the pause before they call me Zac but they're trying I guess. The only thing that makes me think they're not so accepting is that they refuse to tell their families. My mum says telling her parents would cause them an early death.. and it would be too confusing for them. My dad says he's been meaning to go around and sit down with his mum and explain it to her but it just hasn't happened. So I've not been able to see them since starting testosterone because it'd probably scare them to see me with a deep voice and hair on my face. Also I'm expecting to be disowned by my extended family because I'm Indian, I have a massive family and there is no one LGBT in it, they're not exactly accepting. So I'm very lucky that my parents are open minded.

#5 Aberrance, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as a person, my parents accept me. They don't use my chosen name nor do they use the proper pronouns. I'm living with my grandparents right now though as I go through university, and I essentially started my social transition as I moved, so I think a big part of them not using the proper pronouns and such is because they aren't used to it. I'm going back in a week to visit and while they're excited, my mom has told me that they're both really nervous to have me back, that they're scared to be shocked, thinking I'll look completely different. My grandparents, on the other hand, are super accepting and seriously helping in so many ways with my transition and I feel so lucky to have them.

This really hit home for me. Especially with my grandparents since they're very strong Catholics. I know not every religious person is some crazy anti-lgbt nut, I guess I just had my assumptions. I ended up putting off coming out to them for nearly a year after coming out to my parents out of fear, and basically delayed my social transition because of that.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been really lucky. Only a couple members of my extended family were not accepting of my transition. My dad and my mom have both been accepting. My mom, who has now passed, said that she had an idea that I was trans for years. My step mom knew me before I transitioned and she has never had a problem with it. She had some questions, but they were all respectful and asked out of concern for my safety.

My mother's side of the family was a bit late finding things out. I was away at college when they visited my mother. So, in one of the most awkward experiences of my Life, a lot of them found out at my mother's funeral.. They were all accepting of it and I apologized a ton for them having to find out that way. When your parent is terminally ill, sometimes things get accidentally overlooked.