1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i Trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sota, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Almost 4 months, every day i think that i'm transgender. I'm still confused and i'm scared to come out. I was born female. I'll put some things that i'm sure shows that i could be trans.
    -I always played with boys.
    -I'm 15 and i wore dress maybe 3 times in my life, i hate it.
    -I don't like to wear makeup
    -I started liking girls, one is special.
    -Never played with girl toys and always wanted to play games for boys.
    -I chose male character in video games.
    -In my mind i imagine myself as a guy.
    -I hate when boys tell me that i'm pretty and that they'd like me as a gf. Just can't stand it!
    -I feel more masculine and i have male maneers (i always let other girls pass first...)
    -I can't imagine myself having sex with male.
    -I often imagine myself with abs and muscles.
    -I'm struggling in school when a girl wants to kiss me, i mean i prefer just a handshake like guys do)
    -I don't like going out, i feel ashamed because every other girl wears makeup, female clothes, has long nails and i don't like wearing it so i don't feel ok when others ask me why i don't act like female.
    -I always wear sweatshirts and i'm trying to hide my female parts.
    -It's weird but i started masturbating when i was 10 and i always imaginated having sex with girls.
    That are some signs but not all. I don't feel like a lesbian. I'm scared to come out because i first want to figure out and be sure that i'm trans 100%. It's not a phase because it started when i was about 6 y.o. I think my mom knows something but she won't ask me and i'm realy hoping she will ask me so i could maybe start a conversation and explain to her. It's been 4 months of non-stop thinking about it. It would realy help to see your opinion. I hope i'll solve my problem as soon as posible.

2. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Sota. Ultimately no one but yourself can tell you if you are trans or not. A lot of the things you are describing are gender expression stuff, which can be a sign that you are trans, but there are lots of individuals out there who identify as female but would still align themselves with a lot of your points. Figuring out your gender comes from an internal sense of self. Its a feeling, but its really hard for most people to pinpoint or describe. But really there's no way to diagnose trans-ness from a person's experiences or gender expression. There are no boxes to check off to determine a person as trans. Simply because theres such a huge variation in trans experiences. Although many people do explore clothing and such to reaffirm/explore their gender. Also sexuality does not define someones gender. What I mean is, not all trans guys like girls. (You don't have to like girls to be a boy.) If you like the idea of people calling you a guy, then yea you might be trans. You said that you imagine yourself as a guy in your mind, thats important too. Long story short if you feel like a boy then you probably are. Especially if you think about your gender often. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, you helped me a lot!

shadowalex likes this.
  4. AyeItsDyl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, the one thing that helped me come to terms with my answer is this:
    How do you see yourself in the future if the option to either transition or easily pass as a male was attainable?
    And are you happier in their future after?

For me the answer was always yes, and eventually it came down to the idea of living my life as a female for the majority of it drove me to extremes.
    Counselors are available for transgendered people as well, and it may be a benefit for you to look into one since they can help you get your thoughts sorted out about it.
    Best of luck in your journey!

5. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tysm! I'm from Serbia and the law is a lil complicated for trans ppl. You can't change your name and sex in your documents if you don't take all medical surgeries. Thats why i'm hastitating with my transition. Like u mentioned, i see myself as a guy in future. I can't imagine myself as a mother/female.

6. OtterGrump

Just wanted to say good luck with everything! My family is Serbian but my immediate family and I live in Canada. Glad I live here. Still haven't come out to anyone so I'll see how that goes down with my parents...

Sota likes this.
  7. spaghetti0

spaghetti0 Guest

Experiences differ greatly for everyone. However, what you described sounds like textbook signs that you're trans.

Sota likes this.
  8. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice. Good luck with your journey! Wish u all the best.

9. AyeItsDyl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely sounds like you may be trans! Look into it and see if there's any resources for you.
    I know here after a certain point of HRT or through a psychiatrist sex on legal documents and you have to file for a name change, which can be done for the right about of money (which for my area is 300$)
    If you don't see a future for yourself maintaining a female identity, you should definitely take the measures you need to. First step is definitely accepting and embracing!

10. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my country (Serbia) u can't legaly change your name ( to put a male name) and sex on the documents unless u don't go on a sex change surgery

11. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea its important to remember that all countries are different when it comes to legally recognizing transgender people. Definitely look into support groups and resources specific to where you live, make sure you're safe before you come out to people, and it always helps to find and learn about others online or anything who have gone through the legal process in your country/location.

Aside from what gets a person legal recognition, don't feel pressured to change anything about your body that you don't 100% want to do. A lot of places in the world don't recognize a trans person's gender identity unless they go through invasive (and expensive!) surgeries first. Including some states in the U.S. So if you feel like it, make a list of the things you would do to make yourself happy with your gender identity / gender expression. Thats what I did to figure out what kind of surgeries I might want and what kind of alterations that I don't want. If surgery is something you can't imagine happening at this stage in your life then make a list of things you can do with your gender expression to make you happy with your body right now. :slight_smile:

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice.

#12 Sota, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    shadowalex likes this.
  13. ladykiki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I read your opening post with great interest, I feel like I could’ve written it myself. I’m lesbian, born female.

Like you, I rarely wear makeup (my job means I have to), I don’t own dresses and would scream as a kid if my mum put me in one. I hate the colour pink. I buy men’s shirts because I like that they don’t tailor to my curves. I lift weights and have a muscular body. I have short hair which is shaved underneath. I hate chick-lit, rom-coms and prefer action and horror. I drink whisky and beer. My friends growing up were boys because I preferred running about outside and playing video games. I play sports. Most people call me by the masculine shortened version of my name. I hate clothes shopping unless it’s for sports gear. I love women. I’m not a soft fluffy person and can be very detached and logical. I’m not maternal in the slightest and the thought of being pregnant doesn’t sit well with me, and I don’t want kids. I also usually hold the door open, but because I think it’s good manners.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

I don’t identify as male. I’m a woman who doesn’t adhere to social stereotypes just because I happen to be born a girl. I couldn’t tell you what if feels like to be ‘female’ because it would appear that nothing of my interests and appearance comes across as female on paper.

I don’t know how old you are, or if that would even factor in, but I’m in my late 30s, and growing up we didn’t have such an emphasis on gender. I was a tomboy, and pretty much still am. We were just left to get on with things and what we liked was what we liked, there was no gender importance attached to things. I don’t know what if feels like to figure out you’re trans, but my thoughts would have been it was a physical thing rather than performative.

I’m not sure if any of that helped, but honestly to me you just sound lesbian. Like others have said, it’s down to you to truly know yourself, and I wish you all the best in that.

Sota likes this.
  14. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, everything you mentioned is true. I do like girls. I'd say i'm 80/100 atracted to girls. But i just don't feel ok with the term lesbian. I've always felt like a boy inside. I'd like to have kids in future but i don't see myself as mother. I remember when i was very young i've used to put Nivea creme all over my face and then pretend like shaving using peace of paper and colecting creme from my face. There are many other signs that i could be trans. I haven't still made my decision. I want to be prepared. I want to wear boy clothes too but i'm scared to buy it and wear in public. I'm 15 btw

#14 Sota, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017