1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My *wonderful* experience today (was kinda scared for my life)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmmzy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today’s the weekend which means the hour long bus I usually take to get to uni doesn’t run but I had a final. So I had to take the big long distance bus that runs all over the province to get to the other town closer to uni before bussing there. (For any Canadians familiar with the Okanagan in BC, I had to greyhound from Vernon to Kelowna before going to ubc). So! What’s happened so far on my lovely journey into the city of Kelowna? Here’s the list so far, in chronological order;

- I turn around to find someone taking my photo, only to start screaming at me and telling me I’m going to hell, to stay out of her life, that I disgust her.
    - A man (admittedly on drugs) walk up to me and shove me down into a seat at a bus stop.
    - Someone on the sidewalk steer their bike nearly into me while screaming “faggot” over and over.
    - Some lady (still happening since I’m currently waiting for my bus back) staring at me menacingly for the past 20 mins
    - A whole bunch of glares and dirty looks
    -And as time ticks more things are adding to the list...

I mean I’m used to harassment (not okay, btw!) at this point but seriously! I spent probably an hour at most in Kelowna and this is more than I usually get in a whole week! Not to mention way more aggressive, mostly I just get rude comments or stares. Like I always got the impression that the bigger cities were supposed to be more liberal and open, and that’s it’s the small towns where people were more conservative. I’m just shocked I guess. It’s honeslty been one of the scariest days I’ve experienced since I started publicly presenting female.

Anyways if I randomly disappear off the face of the earth, kindly tell the police to look for the attacker somewhere in north Kelowna. Thanks.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sheesh, sorry. I guess even in progressive countries things have a LONG way to go..

MsEmmzy likes this.
  3. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What a terrible little place, its going to give Pyongyang a run for its money in this years contest huh?

MsEmmzy and gravechild like this.
  4. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admittedly, Canada isn't all this bad. Two of my FAVOURITE trans youtubers/basically idols at this point, Stef Sanjati and PrincessJoules are both Canadian and where they live seems okay at least. (One of my friends actually MET Julie. I was so jealous!)

I just wish we could all live as people and not be judged for who we are or how we express ourselves. But I suppose some people just have too strong opinions and have the idea that everyone needs to agree with them.

#4 MsEmmzy, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017