1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding increasing dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LittleMouse, Dec 8, 2017.

1. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I got a binder last month and I am really liking it. I feel a lot more confident when wearing it and I would even go as far as to say I like the look of my chest in the mirror when I’ve got it on!

But...I think it has actually in some ways increased my discomfort/dysphoria with my chest. I haven’t been wearing it everyday as it just hasn’t been practical but the days I don’t have it on are getting more difficult as time is going on.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do other than (safely) wearing my binder more days than not?

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I noticed this as well. The more i did things to try to help with the dysphoria, like binding, the more not doing them bothered me. I think because before, i could just brush it off so to say - think myself crazy and immature cause i didn't know what it was. I thought i was just being some insecure kid instead of growing up. But now that i had a name for it and could pin it down, and had a way to alleviate it, it was impossible to ignore any longer.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm more aware of my dysphoria. Before I started binding I was dysphoric all the time, but didn't have anything to compare it to and didn't know why I felt generally poor most of the time, but after I started and felt better, I could really feel the difference not binding.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately it is often the difference between physical discomfort and psychological discomfort when it comes to binding. For me I can't stand to go out in public or even face myself in mirrors without one on. But then after a while it physically wears me down and I have trouble breathing if I'm always binding. So I've learned the value of a good, loose fitting hoodie.

Take it easy on your body. Bind when you need confidence and never forget that this is temporary. One day you'll have top surgery (which I presume you want since you bind) and you'll never have to bind again. Learn to love your body, binding or not binding. It is hard as a transguy, believe me I know. But learn to look at yourself shirtless in the mirror and hold your chin up and say, "Damn boy, you fine." Because the truth is - you are. You're worth your own respect and love. Your body is a work in progress. Be patient with it.

As always, stay strong, brother.

LittleMouse likes this.
  5. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @AlexJames and @baconpox yeah I do think it’s maybe that I’m just more aware of it.

Thanks @Kodo. It’s more just when I have to go out that it’s an issue right now. In the house I also just wear loose fitting hoodies (always have done) and I’m ok with them on as they hide it enough.

Oh, I don’t think I’ve looked in the mirror shirtless and liked what I saw since I started puberty! I do feel I have learnt to respect my body now though, so that’s a start I suppose.

As for top surgery, yes I do think I’d like that to be in the future. I know change and transition is a slow process but I’m not at peace with that yet. Thinking about it so much just seems to be making everything worse.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Totally normal, bro. I started to hate sports bras. But I‘m small there so at home I can wear a hoodie without a binder.