1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is marijuana bad for you?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, I didn't ever think I'd be posting something like this but here goes…I don't want to go into a whole bunch of details right now but my life's sort of going downhill, I'm losing a lot of friends (more like I just don't feel like hanging out with them anymore…) and we've had a lot of arguments, I'm really stressed out about money and jobs and education (only barely a month out of high school) and I'm just feeling like a real lack of purpose I guess. There's also some other stuff I don't feel comfortable going into right now. I feel like I just need to destress and take a step back and maybe escape for a while. No amount of therapy or medication will help me do that, I've tried it all (trust me). Anyway, I would just try drinking alcohol…not excessively because I hate being drunk but just enough to relax but
    1) I can't get my hands on that much alcohol
    2) My parents will find out and kill me
    3) I worry about it's addictive nature and it just seems bad for you in general

I don't feel as bad about marijuana because it's just a plant. It's not something manmade like crystal meth and I mean, doctors can prescribe it. They'd never prescribe alcohol (like beer, wine, etc not ethanol…) to someone. Students with my mental illness can actually be prescribed it (in some country, I don't remember) so I don't see the issue. And I feel like it'd be harder to get an addiction. I'm pretty good friends with a stoner girl and she's super nice so I was thinking of asking her about it, like if she could buy some for me and I could pay her back (maybe if I could smoke it at her house) since I don't actually know where you'd get it from. And she'd understand since she knows my history of mental illness and how hard it's been lately. I don't intend on becoming a stoner and I don't want to be spaced all the time but I just want to for a little while because honestly, I haven't been able to be happy in a long time. She also drinks and smokes cigarettes but trust me, I'd never smoke a cigarette there's way too many chemicals and I don't even like the smell. I'm weary of alcohol too, I just have bad experiences I guess. To me, alcohol just gives the feeling of nausea and dizziness and headaches.

I just don't know if it's good or bad for you. I've heard both sides. I only remember that it can decrease your libido which I don't even care about. I actually find my sex drive annoying if that even makes sense. And I've also heard that it can cause schizophrenia or something which I don't really believe…psychosis maybe but I have that already. I know people say that even one time can get you hooked but I think you must be pretty weak-willed for that to occur. I've tried stuff considered addictive before and I'm not hooked now so, yeah. I only really got addicted to cutting which I don't do anymore anyway.

But that's totally beside the point, is marijuana bad for you? In other words, does it have a lot of negative side effects? And is it really addictive? I know it's considered a "gateway drug" but there's no way I could ever get my hands on another drug, even if I wanted to.

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you’re already dealing with psychosis it’s probably not a great Idea to use Cannabis.

It won’t fix your problems and it most likely won’t even take your mind off them. In fact it may make you focus on your problems more intently. That’s my experience and it affects people differently.

I smoke(it’s legal where I live), but I don’t recommend that you do.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Marijuana is not 100% safe like some people think. It's a drug. There are bad risks and health problems with any drug. The psychosis thing I think is true if you already have the condition. Self medicating can make it worse

That being said, I don't consider weed to be as bad as alcohol (especially when alcohol is abused). There are actual studies proving that alcohol is far more dangerous, yet we condone it's use more. It's very hypocritical culture we live in.

#3 Creativemind, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Totesgaybrah likes this.
  4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me say that I also don’t recommend you try other drugs, including(especially) alcohol.

5. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

It depends on the marijuana and it depends on you.

Different strains vary greatly in terms of what they contain. There are at least 113 different cannabinoids isolated from cannabis, exhibiting varied effects. The ratios of these compounds vary greatly not only from one strain to the next but also from one individual plant to the next within a strain.

Similarly your brain chemistry could be vastly different from someone else's.

Because it's mostly guess work, you could end up having a terrible reaction, and okay reaction or a great reaction, especially if you are inexperienced.

There have been studies done on rats which suggest that cannabis could cause permanent changes in the brains of adolescents. Therefore it might be prudent to wait until your brain has finished developing before experimenting with anything like that (if you so desire to.)

#5 fadedstar, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
    gravechild likes this.
  6. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Spot:

In my observations, some people can use weed and never have a problem and some people use weed and their lives go completely downhill.

I've observed that weed increases anxiety and paranoia over time and can definitely provoke psychosis in susceptible individuals - I know quite a few people who consider themselves addicted to it (as a primary addiction) and/or who consider it the cause of their mental illness.

In addition, if you're going to be smoking it, it, like anything inhaled into your lungs, can cause COPD and cancer. Other side effects can be an increase in libido, heart arrythmias and an elevated heart rate.

Addictions are not about being weak-willed. They are a physical illness generally thought to be caused by either overexposure to a substance or genetic susceptibility or both.

I find it difficult to believe that you've "tried it all" in terms of therapeutic interventions at the tender age of 17; you may want to revisit that idea - there may be something that you haven't yet tried that will help.

Hugs.

gravechild likes this.
  7. TomiimoT

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a patient in a medical state with severe depression and anxiety I would suggest to stay away from THC, the psychoactive chemical in the plant. CBD is legal in most countries and it doesn't have any psychoactive properties. I use about 100mg of CBD-N and 15-20mg of THC-A per day. If I use more than 15-20mg of thc-a I get very manic and OCDish. Start with 25mg of CBD per day and go from there. The feeling I get when I dab CBD-N is like a warm blanket fresh out of the dryer wrapped around me telling me everything is going to be ok. I hope you find the information you are looking for.

tomi

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be a really terrible idea for you to use marijuana or alcohol in the way you're describing. What you're talking about is the classic origin of addictive behavior, and it is likely that the drug (whichever one) will quickly get out of control..

Additionally, marijuana, as with just about all drugs of abuse, affects the dopamine reward system and if you are already depressed or anxious or upset, is just going to make things worse in the long term.

Finally, marijuana is classed as an "all arounder" as it has both depressant and stimulant properties, so it can very easily make your situation worse.

The solution is to get help in the form of therapy or counseling, not to use drugs to try and make it better. That never works.

9. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On personal perspective I do agree with marijuana legalization and with tons of reasons why. One reason is the fact that marijuana is more safe than alcohol, which is perfectly legal, it's more safe than any prescription drug offered, it's naturally grown which means it can't be patented which in result means big pharma isn't banking off of it, and if big pharma isn't banking off it that means eventually they won't be contributing so much money into political figures accounts, and having say in our governments bills/laws. Marijuana is known to be beneficial to many medical conditions, and in some cases possibly even more beneficial than medicines we currently have & more safe. Plus I mean for some people like myself the state is against marijuana yet they allowed big pharma companies to market and test market highly addictive medications such as oxycontin which led to many deaths, more incarcerations, and many people addicted, but maybe that's what they intended, all of those things sound money generating for the state governement, not to mention how much they were probably donated and paid to test/promote the drugs. But aren't for marijuana which is extremely safer, and could possibly help some of the people who have issues due to their promotion of drugs like oxycontin. Marijuana also generates a lot of cash which could help the debt crisis federally and in states were it's legalized, it's ironic that many of the states that are against marijuana are in debt more so than others. Legalization could result in being uplifted out of that debt, but is that what they want? Personally I think they could care less, they're more concerned about the money they're getting themselves from big pharma. But that's just me.

As you may have guess I do occasionally smoke marijuana, it's very uplifting for me when I'm feeling down, and motivates me to get the things done in which I need to get done. A lot of people say marijuana makes you lazy, less motivated, and unhappy, but for me it's exactly the opposite. Personally I feel that I've suffered from depression and anxiety for awhile and my story is that years ago (over 5) when I was in my teens I was actually diagnosed with depression and anxiety, I was put on medication. The first medication was Zoloft, which I strongly didn't like, it made me even more unhappy to the point that I began having suicidal thoughts, I was taken off of it, and then prescribed Prozac, I took the prozac awhile longer than the zoloft, but it too made me feel horrible and just odd, like when I was medicated I just didn't feel like myself. So I read into depression and got some facts, so I could maybe get off the medication and help myself, in a sense be my own medication. At some point after quitting the medication I discovered marijuana and realized that it just made me so happy and uplifted and when I smoked I would actually accomplish things, like when I first began smoking I was in h.s. I was so unmotivated on the depression meds and just in general without the medication that I just really had not motivation, I was failing classes, skipping events, and just basically coming home after school and not even having the will to go out of the house. After I started smoking though my grades went up, to be specific I went from failing to honor roll in a short amount of time, I began going out more, and attending events more, and overall I began feeling more happy with life and myself.

Although it's illegal in my state I use on a recreational level sometimes too. Ya see I don't drink alcohol, and for reasons. I like so many other people suffer from pancreatitis, which let me just say will make you not even want to take a sip of alcohol. So unfortunately for me I can't consume and enjoy a legalized drug. (yes I'm referring to alcohol as a drug because imo it is) And ironically my pancreatitis is a result of legalized alcohol. When I was 16 I spent the night at a sleepover, my friends mom was out of town parents were divorced, so no adult supervision. The sleepover resulted in more people coming over, the alcohol shelf full of alcohol being discovered, then quickly into a party. That was the night I consumed alcohol and woke up with something that would permanently be with and effect me for the rest of my life. It wasn't the first time I'd consumed alcohol and I didn't consume much more than usual, it's just that I possibly an issue to begin with and the alcohol intensified that and made it worse to the point that it occurred. Alcohol is very dangerous. And I know what you may be thinking, you weren't old enough to be drinking, there's an age limit for a reason, young people may not be fully developed at that age. Despite the negative thoughts and opinions though, on some level it did play a factor. If it weren't legal #1 us young people wouldn't have wanted to drink as easily thinking oh it's legal, it's not that dangerous, & some people think this about marijuana, but at least it really isn't that dangerous. #2 had it not been legal her mother probably wouldn't have had an entire shelf full, and it would have never been so easy for me to acquire as an underage person. and #3 I was young, transitioning through life, unhappy, and careless, never experienced any life changing moments yet, so like a lot of other people I never really thought about the negatives of things. So really I would say I agree more with marijuana legalization more than alocohol legalization.

On a final note I do want to add that although I'm for marijuana legalization I do believe that for some people it is addictive, I don't fully believe it's non addictive. Also there needs to be more research, which I'm going to blame the government as the reason why we don't already have more researched. I think if researched we could figure out the factual negatives, the factual positives, such as how to properly use marijuana, cures, etc. Maybe it's the medicine we've actually been needing all along?

gravechild likes this.
  11. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With your mental health history, I think it would be playing with fire to use marijuana.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured it wouldn't be too long before some pro-marijuana person showed up. If we're going to post facts that are mostly irrelevant to the OP's questions, let's at least be accurate.

This is dose-dependent. Since higher potency marijuana has become available, marijuana induced psychosis, and marijuana-induced emesis (protracted vomiting, often lasting longer than a week) have both started showing up in emergency departments. It also, in higher doses, is addictive, as it acts on the same dopamine system as other drugs of abuse. While it's safe to say that in lower potencies, it is probably safer, the marijuana lobby is doing a huge disservice by minimizing the risks and concerns with it.

This is simply not true for a whole bunch of reasons, and it's this sort of hyperbole that really annoys me.

This is sort of pointless. While Big Pharma isn't terribly interested in it, Big Tobacco is, and the same (perhaps worse) monetary influence is happening with marijuana as with other detrimental materials (alcohol, tobacco.)

If you look at the actual research (there's an excellent meta-analysis of about 50 studies that was published a couple months ago), there are very, very few conditions for which marijuana has actually been shown effective, and nearly all of those conditions are rare. Yes, there are some legitimate uses for it, but they are few and far between, and unfortunately the marijuana lobby has aggressively pushed those as a bogus excuse to make "medical marijuana" available in many states, which is really just a bogus smokescreen to allow recreational use.

There are one or two conditions, such as certain seizure disorders that are exceptionally rare, for which this statement is true. Otherwise it is not.

(Random crackpot conspiracy stuff ignored)

Apples and oranges. Oxycontin, when appropriately used, is a major improvement to quality of life for many people. Marijuana is not a substitute for pain control at the level where Oxycontin is prescribed. That said, I acknowledge that Oxycontin is, itself, responsible for a significant portion of the opioid epidemic.

Except that most of this cash is created from tax on excessive use, creating another addiction epidemic. We are already seeing signs of this in Colorado, and admissions to substance use disorder treatment centers (rehabs) for primary marijuana dependency has increased at an alarming rate.

That's interesting, since it is (depending on strain) typically primarily a depressant, and is extremely well documented to reduce, rather than increase, motivation. But placebo effect can be powerful.

The SSRI-class antidepressants are very hit-and miss, especially for teens (you don't say at what age you were on them.) None were really tested for use with teens, and so it can be very difficult to find the right one and have it work effectively. In your case, it sounds like your psychiatrist was unable to find a workable combination, but there are many individuals for whom the SSRIs and SNRIs are effective and life-saving.

This is absolutely an anomaly. None of the data shows this result as typical (or even an outlier reaction), so it's an enormous disservice for you to represent it as something others should do, as for whatever reason, your situation is pretty close to unique.

No, it's a result of extreme abuse of legalized alcohol. Normal, non-abusive use of alcohol will not cause pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is also not something "so many other people" suffer with, unless you're talking about a pool of people with severe alcohol abuse.

Well, finally, a sliver of accurate information. Marijuana is in no way non-addictive. It is dose-dependent, and as with all drugs of addiction, the individual's own biochemical makeup and psychological history plays strongly into the risk of addiction.

I agree with most of the above. Clearly more research is needed to identify the useful attributes of the drug. While it is not a universal panacea by any means, there are some conditions for which it could be beneficial, and there would be considerable value into exploring this.

The legalization issue is a mess. Yes, it is on the whole less dangerous/addictive than alcohol, but that alone isn't a justification for legalizing it. We're going to see the current legalization movement come back to bite us in the ass in terms of a dramatic uptick in people needing addiction treatment, and it will contribute to a whole host of other psychological and physical problems... but the real issue isn't legalization of alcohol or marijuana, it is solving the problems that lead to people (such as the OP) feeling that they need to use drugs or alcohol as a means of escape or coping. There are much healthier and more effective strategies for dealing with negative feelings than using any drug to alter consciousness, but most people don't take the time to find out about and study these things.[/quote]

#12 Chip, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Secrets5 and wickedwitch like this.
  13. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [/QUOTE]

What I wrote was my opinion and perspective on marijuana and how it has helped me.. As for everything you question about my post I just want to say if you or anyone else would like to know the current known facts of marijuana, positives & negatives, it can easily be looked up factually and statistically on these very devices we're typing on. Also, marijuana is more safe than alcohol, I do not care what your argument is about that, sure some strains contain more thc and large doses can cause issues, such as induce panic attack, headache, even vomiting, and hospital visits, but you also have to think, alcohol is dangerous and damaging in small doses, and when it comes to large doses it's deadly. That is a fact. As for big pharma and tobacco, I'm sure tobacco companies are looking into it, their time is limited with their current product. BUT just because they're looking into it, doesn't mean they're going to be successful, and they will definitely never control the medical/marijuana industry in the same way that big pharmaceutical companies control the medical industry now.

Clearly you're anti-marijuana (I see your stereotypical television commercial comments) and on some level my post seemed to upset/offend you, I apologize, but my opinion is still the same and the already known facts don't change. Oh yeah, and btw pancreatitis may be caused by many things such as cystic fibrosis, disorders of the pancreas, etc. Even that medicine that big pharma prescribes can cause pancreatitis. And while maybe uncommon for you it isn't that uncommon among people, I've met several people with the issue. Did I also fail to mention that I'm not an alcoholic, lol, when my pancreatitis occurred it was like maybe the fifth time I'd drank alcohol, I didn't drink that much, and the Dr. said that it was possibly an underlying health issue for me and the alcohol just sped it up :slight_smile:

And I guess I technically didn't answer OP question. I would say to OP that you should look up the facts, the statistics, the negatives, the positives, etc. and then draw your own conclusion. I do agree with the above poster in the sense that it isn't for everyone, just like everything else in the world. Some people have adverse effects, the way you may consume it could have negative effects, some people are allergic, etc.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is exactly where the information I posted came from... this is an area of professional knowledge and study for me.

(Random bogus justification of marijuana/more conspiracy theory snipped)

No, I'm simply factual about it. As I said above, there are a very limted number of circumstances where it is useful, to a very small percentage of the population.

What I'm offended by misrepresent of facts and research, particularly in a forum where we have a lot of vulnerable teenagers.

Which make up less than 2% of pancreatitis diagnoses.
    Right, so the alcohol was the factor that caused it to express, exactly as I originally said.

I agree with this, provided the data is from a reputable source (i.e., not reported by the pro-marijuana legalization lobby, but by researchers who don't have a dog in the race. It's a lot harder to do that, because you can't just Google it... you have to actually look at journal articles... which, had you (OP) done, you wouldn't be misquoting or quoting out of context.
    And it is the single largest new source of admissions to addiction treatment centers nationwide. Don't forget that little fact.

#14 Chip, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Aussie792 and gravechild like this.
  15. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can lower your IQ and lead to episodes of psychosis. Personally I avoid it. If I smoke, I smoke nicotine.

16. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find setting things on fire and inhaling the fumes of what ever you set on fire, will probably lead to problems no matter what it is that you set on fire and inhale the smoke of.

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I don't see why people are arguing over what it may or may not cause. Based on the fact that you said you want to try it because your life is going down hill is reason enough not to try it. And you said you're tight on money, so weed would only make that worse.

Not underrating what you're going through at all, but its common for teenagers and young adults to have an "I have no idea what I'm doing and my life is shitty" time. If we're being honest, this summer was a shit show, and I wasted way too much money on alcohol to feel better. But with time and bit of active input, things get better. Remember - people are really good at hiding their pain. Guaranteed several other people you know are going through, recently have, or soon will go through a shitty time. So definitely don't feel like you're the the only one that doesn't have their stuff together.

PatrickUK likes this.
  18. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I smoke sometimes myself, but let me just say that if nothing else, remember that you are literally breathing smoke into your lungs. That's not exactly super healthy.

19. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    " I feel like I just need to destress and take a step back and maybe escape for a while."

Going on a temporary escape with drugs isn't going to fix anything. You have real issues that need to be resolved. You can't rely on drugs to make you feel better. Unless you plan on being high 24/7. The things about drugs is that you'll go right back to feeling worse once the high wears off.

(But no, I don't think marijuana is bad for you. I just don't think it's something you should rely on to make yourself feel better. Just like alcohol - a drink every now and then is fine, but becoming dependent upon it is when problems begin to rise.)

I wish you luck. I'm sorry you're going through this.

20. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Glitters I've always enjoyed marijuana, I dont see it as any different than relaxing with a glass of wine 3 or 4 days a week, whats the harm in that. Its not physically addictive like alcohol, you wont go through withdraws if you stop smoking.

I know Im not one to say much, having misused alcohol and prescription drugs in the past but I think its better than alcohol or pills. In fact when I get home Im looking forward to firing up a bowl-pack for the first time in months and sending beer back to the bench.

Im not saying go out and smoke up, Im just saying you could do way worse than weed.