1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favorite book? Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MadDog, Dec 3, 2017.

1. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mostly want to know what was your favorite book when you were a teenager
    And if you are a teenager that's great too
    I love books (DUH) and I'm starting to read more books in English and I can't really jump into grown up books cause that's a little hard for me to understand.
    So whatever you'll suggest, I'll read. (If i haven't read it already)
    Tell me what made you fall in love with the book. I mean i sometimes talk about a book with great feelings so it's okay if you want to talk about it.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    39 Clues series.

3. Loves books

CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore. It's a series about a group of child and teenage spies based on the idea that adults never suspect that children are spying on them. It mostly follows James who is twelve in the first book. It goes all the way until he leaves at seventeen. There is a whole host of supporting characters of both sexes and even a gay guy who everyone is very cool about. I loved them when I was a teenager.

4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Dune series by Frank Herbert was my go to in my later teens. It's a science fiction saga that takes place at a time when humanity has spread across the galaxy and deals with the consequences of the ability to see into the future. It really brings into question on whether or not to see the future would actually be desirable (it's not). It also deals with themes such as politics, economics, ecology, and religion. If you're into scifi and haven't read it yet, check it out.

5. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    #5 Fishtail, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and fantasy. My book no. 1 is fantasy/sci-fi 'Naslouchač' (something like 'The listener' in English) by Petra Stehlíková.

It is set in the future, where the Eurasian continent has been divided into two parts by a war, where one part is corrupted by poisonous gas and the other one is protected from it by a shield powered by a material known as sklenit (I would translate it as glassite, maybe..) that has unfortunately some side effects, such as creating a large zone around the shield where every energy powered device stops working, so people there have to live like in the middle age, and causes people born there to have mutations. To top it all off, the nation living there (and the only one that knows how to work with sklenit and use it to repair the shield in case of damage) has been enslaved by people from outside the 'no-energy' zone and forced to live in horrible conditions.
    And the story is about a girl from this enslaved nation, who was born without any mutation. And she also has an exceptionally strong ability to 'listen' to sklenit and work with it. To actually make use of it, she is disguised all the time as a boy with mutations. Because she would never be allowed to work with sklenit otherwise and would have much much worse life. And her abilities draw attention of some powerful people.

I just love this book especially because of the main character, who is forced to pretend to be someone else for her own safety, but despite all her trouble, she never gives up. And she's just so personable and very well written.

Now I'm not sure if this book is in English as well, but I really hope so, because reading it would be so worth it.

But something I'm sure is in English, and that's Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, when I was younger I really loved it. And also I like Dune, already suggested here.

7. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A Wrinkle in Time It's a smaller, shorter book, but it's an amazing read! It's also being made into a movie, which I'm excited about!

If you want a challenge, try reading something by Anne Rice, Arthur C. Clarke, Ann McCaferty if you wanna start venturing into adult level reading.

The Hunger Games and the Harry Potter series are also really good

8. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (the original author died so they got a new one to finish it).

It's an extremely long and incredibly immersive series. Each book is 800+ pages and there are 14 main books, plus a prologue book. The character depth is astounding, each book introduces tons of new characters that are all described so well they feel like real people, even if they only have a few paragraphs of dialogue. The storylines take complexity to a whole new level, each of the thousands of events and connections throughout the series end up wrapped together in the most fascinating of ways.

It would probably be difficult to understand for someone not very comfortable with English though.

#8 Niagara, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Red Queen -series by Victoria Aveyard.

I love her writing style and the world she built. The characters are very likable, atleast to me and there are some great twists along each book.

I highly recommend atleast checking them out

10. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favorite book is Wonder, and a close second would be The Inquisitor’s Tale.

11. SomeAverageBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Lovely Bones
    It’s really, Really harrowing and heart-wrenching but it’s so beautiful and well written that it’s all totally worth it. Defiantly check it out if you get the chance, it’s a one of a kind novel

12. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Little Brothers by Rick Hautala

Best horror book I've ever read.... or maybe it just affected me stronger than most for some reason.

[​IMG]

13. Hello Its Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This book is emotionally heavy but I love it. They even made the book into a movie, but the book is waaaaaayy better than the movie.

14. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently into Jenny Han's book. You should ready To All The Boys that I've Loved Before, P.S I Still Love You, and Always and Forever, Lara Jean.

15. Member001

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m more into the love type of books but hush hush, silence, crescendo and finale are amazing books! It has fantasy, romance and action in it! You’ll fall in love with the characters, i felt like I WAS the main character. You wont regret reading it!

16. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Peter and the Starcatchers. It's a prequel to Peter Pan, and it's amazing. I've read it countless times.

17. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the suggestions