1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will people still be "coming out" in the future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaurenSkye, Dec 5, 2017.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Currently and for all of history up through now it has been assumed that people are heterosexual unless they "come out". But will that always be the case? In the future, do you think that most of society will look at people and assume nothing about their sexuality or even gender?

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually there were periods when that was not the case. For example in ancient greece it was normal for most men (not sure about women) to be what we would call bisexual. Now they didn't think of it in those terms, and it was more about power then love, but it was still common for men to have sex with other men (again not sure about women).

Anyway, to actually answer your question. I'd like to hope that at some point in the future we would get to a point where we don't just assume everyone is straight. I kind of doubt it will be any time soon, but I can hope. At the very least it would be nice if we could get to a point where we still assume, but just accept it when proven wrong. I mean, even if it ended up being like left handedness, where it's assumed your not at first but no one really has an issue if it turns out you ate that would be fine with me. That used to be stigmatized and consudered wrong too, so who knows.

3. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It will depend on how attitudes towards sexuality change over time, but coming out may never go away. Things are gradually getting better (at least in the West) and I suspect that it'll get to a point where it won't be such a big deal for someone to come out. What I mean is that there won't be all the stress and pressure that many of us have to deal with when coming out now. A kid 20 years from now may discover that they're LGBT and they can feel safe and confident enough to come out without being afraid to do so. Contrast that with now, where many families still shame and disown their children for being LGBT, which causes other young LGBT people to keep themselves closeted and leads to an emotional coming out later on. That's the main thing that I think will change with time: the ordeals of coming out will slowly lessen and become a non-issue.

#3 Elendil, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Nils

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think people will still have to clarify they like x gender or are x gender. But I think overtime, as the stigma against LGBT people disappears, that coming out will be a way easier, more casual ordeal than it is today.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably. Maybe one day we won't have to but I don't know if that will happen in this lifetime.

6. Loves books

If you don't come out how are people supposed to know your gay. I hope one day people won't care but coming out kind of has a purpose.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless LGBT folk become the majority, probably. I think we might reach the point where people care less (already, some older LGBT folk are complaining about the loss of culture and assimilation into mainstream society), but the "norm" will probably always be cisgender, heterosexual.