1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which languages do you think in (your head)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flowey, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Flowey

Despite English being my second language, it has become my head's official language. I think almost exclusively in English. I even learn new languages using English instead of my mother tongue. What's about you guys? Which languages does the voice in your head speak in?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same, despite English not being my native language, English is the language I think in and speak the most in my daily life so I guess it's natural for my brain to have adopted it as "primary language".

That being said, if I go home for a while and speak my native language extensively and hear it a lot then I naturally start thinking in my native language again.

Same with Spanish when I am living in Spain, I think in Spanish or both Spanish and English depending on the day.

So I think it varies a lot depending on my environement and how exposed I am to a language.

3. Mugitono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm the exact opposite: I usually think in my native language, Spanish, but sometimes when I get bored I start conversations in English in my head just to practise my vocabulary and skills.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Occasionally I think in Japanese but normally in English.

5. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mostly English (my home language) but occasionally Afrikaans (my second "first" language, lol) and sometimes French when I need to use it.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    English. But I know a few French songs so I sing those too (mon coeur suvivra pour toi is a favourite)

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really impressed with anyone who thinks in something other than their native tongue. I've studied several languages and never even came close to thinking in any of them!

8. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the time I think in Czech, my native language, but sometimes I think in English as well, for example when I watch English movies or series and I comment on them in my head. The more I'm surrounded by English the more I tend to think in English. I bet I would be thinking more in English than Czech if living in an English speaking country.
    Sometimes when I have nothing to do, I find myself trying to think in French, Polish or Slovak, but that usually fails after a while, because my level in these languages is not that good as my Czech or English, it's more like a playing a game in my head rather than actually thinking about stuff.